It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caffeine addicts get no real perk from morning cup

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I've always prefered the morning take-me-downs as opposed to the pick-me-ups.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
ii dont actually understand how people get a buzz from coffee :/..

i have been drinking the stuff at about 4-6 cups a day 1 n a half tea spoon nescafe gold blend with 2 sugars fo around 8-10 years now..

would you recommend ii up my dose to around 6-10 cups a day or should i maybe stack it with some tea??.. if so what would you recommend? PG tips?

i was thinking maybe a cycle as follows..

6-10 cups coffee a day at 30mg caffeine per cup
stacked with 3-4 cups Tea a day at 4mg tea juice per cup

i also thought i would end my cycle with some red bull 1 can at 35mg per day but i'm not sure whether i need any post cycle treatment with it.. :/

seriously i have no idea what im talking about lol but coffee really doesn't give me a buzz.. never has

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah I definitely have a tolerance to caffeine. I brew my coffee too strong for anyone else I know and drink about 1/12 to 2 pots (18-24 cups) per day. No buzz.

Only time I get a coffee buzz is if I have gone without for a week or so. And that's not very often--only when I travel outside of the country.

[edit on 2/6/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
HAHHAA
Tim Hortons for the win.
Not sure of how many people know of the epidemic that is tim hortons.
But around here anyone will tell you, nothing gives you a kick like Timmies..
maybe im just Canadian.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have a low tolerance to caffeine. I normally use ground Vietnamese coffee in the morning, normally with ice. Perks me up no end plus I can feel it making my heart beat faster.
Then again I am only drinking one cup a day so maybe that's why it still affects me a lot.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
If I drink coffee or soda's I'm cracked out for 24 hours! Seriously, If I drink a cup of coffee after say, 11am, I'm up all night. Tea is a different story. As long as I drink it with a big meal, I'm fine. No jitters or anything. I'd rather my body naturally regulate my adrenal function, anyways. Haven't had tea in at least a month now. Don't miss it at all. It's got a lot of fluoride in it, and it makes me a little more anxious than usual. Going off of caffeine has done a bit to increasing my well being.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

people make it out to be like coc aine or something lol i might go cold turkey for a few weeks and see what happens when i drink it again

no more spending stupid money drugs to keep me up dancing on weekends.. lol

jok3

or am ii??

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i agree, i was once obsessed by cafene. after a short period of time no real benefit is achieved. soon, i become reliant on the cafene

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HrdCorHillbilly
I think this is bogus, or only applies to certain people. I've been drinking 1-2 cups of coffee every morning for years. I have not built up a tolerance to it. I can definitely tell when the caffeine is kicking in. It still stimulates me the same way it did when I first started drinking it years ago. It always takes me above my "baseline level of alertness".

I suspect it varies by person. I'm in the middle between the two extremes of it having no effect and having the same effect as when I first started drinking coffee. I still get a caffeine boost but it's tempered by a tolerance.

However, unlike the OP, I like the taste of coffee, and feel like it actually enhances my health when I drink it in moderation (the coffee I drink is very weak). Drinking strong coffee probably isn't good for you if you feel it make your heart race.

The iced coffee Starbucks has is a nice summertime treat, but too expensive, so I make something similar at home for a lot less.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I definitely need my morning coffee, if for no other reason than it is efficacious at getting my bowels moving. I hate going to work without having had my morning motion. I've tried other things (Tea: gives me migraines, apples, food) but they just just don't kick it like coffee does!

A cigarette and a coffee are two of my essential morning starters. I never eat breakfast (even when I was a landscape labourer)and my main meal is lunch.
I'm fit and healthy with low cholesterol and am active.

Horses for courses, I say. I've chosen my course with my eyes wide open.

Edit: Starbucks lol. Crap crap crap. Try Hummingbird for a decent coffee...freshly ground, home made delight. For cafe styles try C1. Oh, you can't, it's in Otautahi

[edit on 2-6-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Sometimes I wonder if coffee has as much of a psychological effect as it does a physiological one. Perhaps the thought of, "the best part of waking up, is Folger's in your cup", is just that. The mental acknowledgement that you are drinking coffee. Look at the power of placebos. You think you are taking an aspirin, therefore your mind allows you to feel the effects. Maybe the same with coffee, in the sense that it is not the coffee the makes you feel good, but your mind.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

I used to be a caffeine addict. But I stopped drinking so much since caffeine didn't do as much for me. So, now I keep it to a cup of coffee or two a day, and things are much better in my morning.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathwa
reply to post by aorAki

Sometimes I wonder if coffee has as much of a psychological effect as it does a physiological one. Perhaps the thought of, "the best part of waking up, is Folger's in your cup", is just that. The mental acknowledgement that you are drinking coffee. Look at the power of placebos. You think you are taking an aspirin, therefore your mind allows you to feel the effects. Maybe the same with coffee, in the sense that it is not the coffee the makes you feel good, but your mind.

Yeah, I've thought about that and it may well be correct. However, thinking about a cup of coffee doesn't have the same effect and it seems to have a laxative effect: Caffiene as a laxative

I Still love my coffee, even if it is just a placebo

[edit on 3-6-2010 by aorAki]

[edit on 3-6-2010 by aorAki]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think it's much to subjective to simply state the way the article did.

I've been a hard-core coffee drinker for years. No, the first cup does nothing for me. Then again, neither did my very first cup ever.

By the time I get a few gulps into my second liter though, I'm awake. By that time though, I'd probably be awake without the coffee.

For me though, I don't think its a caffeine thing that keeps me making more, it's just coffee. I love it. I usually go through two 12 cup pots of Joe every day. Every now and then, I switch to decaf, and to be quite honest, I can't tell a difference.

lol, I've been using the same red travel mug every day for the last 10 years. The wife hates it! Coffee just doesn't taste the same in anything else!

Anyone want to go halvsies with me on a coffee farm in Costa Rica?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathwa
news.yahoo.com...

LONDON (Reuters) – Caffeine addiction is such a downer that regular coffee drinkers may get no real pick-me-up from their morning cup, according to a study by British scientists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

You know, I have always felt that coffee becomes a crutch with excessive consumption, plus I think it tastes really bad.

Nathwa.....

Mmmmmmmmm.............coffeeeeeeeeee..........

You might find this article interesting, as per this short thread of mine:

More Evidence That Coffee is Good For You

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

You should try yerba mate, a lot better for you than green tea and has replaced coffee in my house. I drink liters of the stuff a day.
Oh and it tastes great, nice and smoky.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It all depends on what you mean by "perk".

Don't all coffee drinkers find that coffee, late at night, encourages insomnia? Makes it more difficult to fall asleep?
Presumably coffee in the morning would have a similar effect- make it more difficult to go back to sleep.

So we morning coffee drinkers are not trying to use it as a "pick-me-up"-
We're trying to use it as a "stops-me-falling-down-again".
The practical effect is much the same.

<< 1   >>

join