It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to see an ATOM with the naked eye.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Is it really impossible to see an atom(s) with the naked eye?
*Why?

If it was possible. What implications might that have about our overall understanding of knowledge as we know it?.......What would that mean?

[edit on 2-6-2010 by psilocybernaught]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by psilocybernaught

I see atoms all around me everywhere ago. The take the shape of trees, houses, people, cars etc etc but in reality they are all atoms.

I can't say it has helped my understanding much.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I think that means that its our eyes that create the atom and not the atom that creates our eyes. Eyes/mind/self whatever you want to say.

I mean, people think the atom is god, in the definition provided typically throughout philosophical discussion.

We are not made of atoms, the atom does not create reality, we do.

Adam, or atom? If the atom was the male, what is the female?

[edit on 2-6-2010 by onequestion]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
what if one could literally see individual atoms with the naked eye under controllable and testable conditions?

what would that mean??

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
"Seeing" means observing photons scattered off an object. Since human eye adapted to darkness can in exceptional cases detect individual photons (in certain individuals) then it's theoretically possible to scatter photons off an atom and see a tiny flash. But you won't see the detail -- the wavelength is not right for that. SO why bother.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Your eye is made of Atom's.

So, it would be like a bunch of Atom's looking at one Atom.

I would say no, but anything is possible.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

What if there really is no atom?

What if the idea for the atom has actually created the atom? If you create the idea for the atom allowing its existence, then of course you can see it on all levels.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
thanks guys....Im sorry im fully expressing what im trying to say.

But Im talking about this pattern library.thinkquest.org... disregard the markings on the last two concentric rings.

Your saying it would be not uncommon to vividly see the pattern in the link i provided under controllable and testable conditions...

www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I see the haze, if you can call it that. No doubt it has some scientific status.

Tends to look alive - mind you it could very well be a hangover from my partying days.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DomhainGràdh
I see the haze, if you can call it that. No doubt it has some scientific status.

Tends to look alive - mind you it could very well be a hangover from my partying days.

Im sorry. I dont understand

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
"Seeing" means observing photons scattered off an object. Since human eye adapted to darkness can in exceptional cases detect individual photons (in certain individuals) then it's theoretically possible to scatter photons off an atom and see a tiny flash. But you won't see the detail -- the wavelength is not right for that. SO why bother.

I think if you look at a radium dial on a watch in the dark you can see individual photons. I remember doing it about 45 years ago.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Im still trying to understand the science behind the atom.

But my point is that what if one could see it in detail ..... the Vivid concentric circle pattern in the link i provided. Im trying to understand what that is.

Atom pattern?

Photon pattern?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Why do you believe atoms exist? Because you can see one under a microscope?

Lets call it the science deception if only just for fun.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by psilocybernaught
Is it really impossible to see an atom(s) with the naked eye?
*Why?

Not possible unless you want to consider the location of the stability of select forces represents a periodic element, then you can map these stabilities.

There is much more than atoms, but atoms provide a tool to understood the forces beyond.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

In order to understand why you cannot see an atom with the naked eye, you must understand what it means to see something.

We see objects when light comes off those objects. The objects you encounter in your everyday life are made of billions and billions of atoms and molecules. Each atom or molecule emits light as its electrons go from an excited energy level to a lower energy level. When you see an object, you are seeing the billions and billions of photons that are emitted by that objects molecules and atoms.

Light does not come off an atom the way it comes off an object you encounter in your everyday life. An atom may emit light, but the components of an atom like its electrons, protons, and neutrons do not emit light in an of themselves.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by psilocybernaught

Originally posted by DomhainGràdh

Im sorry. I dont understand

I no longer drink, yet I get this static vision. Looks a bit like electric static if I focus on the air around. Then again it might just be strained/melted neurons. That’s quite possibly the whiskey for ya.
Dunno if any one else suffers?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion

Why do you believe atoms exist? Because you can see one under a microscope?

Lets call it the science deception if only just for fun.

I am not sure if they exist.

Ill be direct by saying that i personally can see certain patters with my eye. Under certain conditions.

I have always wondered what significance in me seeing these enigmatic patterns mean.

The only thing i can compare my observations to, and the only thing that they resemble is this library.thinkquest.org...

what that pattern means to other people, i guess now im not so sure of. Im just trying to understand what im seeing.......

From what i know i want to see, because from what i see i do not know

Thanks for everyones help in helping me understand

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

If i believe that experience is a projection of self and the visual context of that projection is what i am "seeing", how can i say an atom exist? would the atom not then represent me? so if i am an "atom/adam", then if i look at an actual atom am i looking at myself? lets say i am the photon or atom whichever it is.

Note: i use the term actual lightly.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

i think i know what your talking about when you say patterns.

i like to think in terms of reflection, lets call it "reflection theory" for the scientific mind. is your mind interpreting reality in terms of geometry? or are atoms creating reality and reflecting themselves off of us? are we a reflection of atom/adam, or are atoms/adam a reflection of us?

how conscious is your atom?

(i am asking and posing because i want to understand your theory properly, and possibly help you think through it more definitly.)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I dont know One question but basically what im saying is that i can see these library.thinkquest.org... patters by staring at a light source....What they represent i dont know and thats what i want to know. Why i made this post. I can VIVIDLY see things i cant explain under certain conditions.

It feels loopy saying but i think my eye works like a micro scope, and can vividly see things on a micro-scale. By using light.

the concentric circle pattern is the most enigmatic, but other patterns are observable as well.

I still dont understand what im seeing...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join