It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can plug oil leak, says NY genius

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ah ok. Well, thier must be a way, to makeshift an industrial hose or pipe witha special fitting, incase THIS tatctic their using now works. Makeshift a special fitting so it at least will clamp over the old gushing pipe, incase this diamond saw technique dosnt work.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
the article says she hasn't gotten BP's attention, or something to that effect.

evidently all it takes is a phone call:

The Ideas Pour In

and her idea, or at least the same principle behind, is already on the list.

INFLATE SOMETHING INSIDE THE LEAK

A PBS call for suggestions brought in one incarnation of a common idea -- put something inside the leak, then inflate it to seal the pipe shut. This one, the suggester said, is modeled on the technology used by doctors to temporarily shut off arteries.

Jon Stewart, of The Daily Show, is doing his part, as well:

'Daily Show' Has Citizens' Ideas to Plug Oil Leak

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Not trying to take anything away from her credentials but all she has is a suggestion. No real world experiments or proof that her idea will work.
She goes on to say she had it all worked out in a just a few minutes, sketching it out on paper. "I figured experts would know more about it than I did but their ideas didn't work," she said.

I dont doubt she is a genius but she comes off sounding a little ignorant by telling the New York Post I can plug oil leak. Its an educated guess and she is being a little irresponsible to say she has the answer. She is no different then the 100s of people on ATS throwing ideas around on the forum about how to stop the leak. I hope she doesnt think she solved this problem by sketching it out on paper in a matter of minutes fixing something the BP oil company has failed to so with all their "Gifted" Scientists and decades of experience with drilling oil. Not to mention their perspective. She is in New York and BP is on the site with all the video feeds and all the information. Again please, I appreciate that she is trying to fix the problem but shes arrogant for no reason.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
With all that pressure coming out, this will never work,.
I'm sure just for comparision everyone has attempted something of this sort on much smaller scale.
Like had a leak in cast iron, you fix leak in one spot but it just moves over to different spot and still leaks.
Or try and put water hose spay tip on, while water is on, running unless you kink the hose or turn off water it is almost impossible.
I did watch someone drill hole in and install vavle on high pressure line,first had to pressure seal area to be drilled with vavle to be installed inclosed within, drill, install vavle, remove seal cover whala.
The relief wells seem only way possible other that explosives to stop leak.
The big problem I see is that they are ,are were, saying there is bigger leak 5 miles away, i can not understand or get grasp on this other leak.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Judohawk

Originally posted by Americanist

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
Yea i hope this genius realizes the types of pressures we are talking about. Plus at that depth the pressure on the tires themselves will not allow them to inflate to the diameter they would be at the surface.

Personally i think the only solution is a very small yield tactical nuke would seal it forever. After all it worked for the Russians when this happened for them...or why don't they just crimp the damn pipe shut.

I'd be a tad bit concerned about a sea floor collapse with more holes cropping up.

Here we go again, the sea floor WILL NOT collapse.

You're mistaken... In fact, it already faces collapse where the methane gas is centrally located. You start playing around with explosives on top of a natural occurrence, and it's a recipe for total disaster. Why don't you flash your credential badge next time you make such a bold statement.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am a little skeptical of all these people coming forward claiming to have a solution to the oil spill.

We have all seen people on TV pitching oil clean up plans that they demonstrate using an aquarium with motor oil spilled in it. Motor oil spilled in an aquarium can only crudely approximate the actual conditions in the gulf.

Somebody needs to build a laboratory device which can simulate actual conditions. As a former bench chemist, I know that simulating field conditions in a laboratory setting can often be more challenging than developing a solution to an actual problem that exists in the field. Only when somebody can build a simulator can we begin to assess whether one plan is going to work over another

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

i suggested this as i work on pipelines. they where able to send a smaller diameter pipe into the gushing pipe and had enough pressure to shoot mud, then they surely could have sent the/a rubber bladder into the pipe. once inserted crank up the air compressor. i could see the inside of pipe being very slick and have seen a 12" muni ball crack a concrete manhole with only 12psi on it in a sanitary pipe as it blew out. they are dealing with 6000psi so it would have to be a super reinforced ball. maybe with some metal ridges on the outside as to be able to get a good hold of the inside of the pipe. their methods now wont work any better. all these caps are gonna keep getting clogged with methane.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Here is what we need:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
People should just think like an Egyptian regarding this...

Why not haul massive limestone "blocks" to the site and build a "pyramid like" structure around it? No, it wouldn't seal the leak all on it's own - but is would disperse the oil leaks through multiple, smaller paths that would be easier to manage rather than one huge one.

From there you could go back and "seal" the leaks in varying manners, whether it be a rubber type insulation similar to that used in landfills, or a cement type "caulking".

I don't know, I am not an engineer - but that is my idea.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join