It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a break from the Isreali threads? Come check out Mao Tse Tung's Underground City!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Excellent thread, starred and flagged! I love the sense of exploration and adventure here. Those photos are truly amazing... I mean how many people would actually go down there and document the place?!

Regarding the six million supposed inhabitants, the narrow passageways and tight spaces suggest that the underground labyrinth might have just served a few dozen people at most. Anything more would have caused various supply and logistics problems relating to air, food, water, sanitation, and transportation just to name a few. Imagine your local mall. Notice how wide the passages are, and to think they were only designed to temporarily accommodate heavy traffic flow. What more six million long-term residents?

It could also be just a small cluster from a much larger network of underground facilities scattered throughout the city. But even then, you would need much larger common access/service facilities. I just can't imagine six million people living underneath the city all at the same time, and for a prolonged period.

The idea of a small underground hamlet or village inspires me though! I can already imagine all sorts of stuff going on there

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I starred and flagged this earlier.

It's amazing how something like this can be built right under us and most people can be completely ignorant of it. I've always liked the idea of underground cities and societies. It's just interesting and I like to think someday we'll find new, untouched, underground places that haven't seen human footsteps in thousands or hundreds of years that will take history and society by storm with what they contain.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Star and Flagged.

Nice to see someone leaving their comfort zone to bring us these kinds of pictures and education. Well done man.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Very cool experience - thanks for sharing.

S&F

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
MysterE...you got me at:

Need a break from the Isreali threads?

Loved your thread. Great to find out more about underground rooms..I never heard about this and to be honest, now I'm wondering what actually is beneath my feet. If it could occur there, that means there probably is something here in the UK as well.

Great sense of an exploration mate.

S&F!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Great threat OP, anda good break from Isreal, as important as the matter is, I'm tired of hearing about it and I'll catch up tomorrow.

I'd just like to point out to the people saying it's not very big and that they could never fit 6 million people down there, most of it has collapsed. There is one point in the video that was posted somewhere on page 1 I think, where it says that one tunnel extends almost 50km and that all of the tunnels together are longer than the Great Wall of China! That's BIG!!

I know here in the UK, there are many underground bunkers, but nothing to this scale as far as I know. I used to work for the local council and the main council building had a nuclear bomb shelter underneath that is now converted into the central filing area for the entire borough. There are still showers for nuclear contamination, with radioactive warning logos all over the place. It's pretty creepy if you're alone down there.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
OP: First part of your title: thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm nearly willing to paypal people just to post something else at this point.

Second part: THANK YOU!! That's awesome! Unique pictures, fascinating location, little adventure story, human interest, this has it all!

Very cool. Thanks again.

RC

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
TextText Very Cool Thread Stared and Flagged.............................

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks! S&F. This is very cool. I've heard rumors of similar tunnels under downtown LA but never had the gumption to explore them. I wonder how big they are? The Chinese have always been opulent engineers throughout history. Amazing.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by diamount

Yes fallout - the post nuclear wargame. But it looks more like halflife 2 to me. Really...

Metro 2003 or anything else, it definitely looks apocalyptic - imo. Now isn't that scary? These guys live in such conditions, it kinda means they're used to live in trash... REALLY I mean, I've tried to sleep in a trash heap like that but couldn't - had to check in the nearest hotel. This makes a guy chicken out pretty easily - i mean - ew!!!

Appalling, my sympathies to my ancestors for I look like them, but I cannot trace my roots

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
What a great thread. Really cannot believe that this even exists and people are actually living down there!

I've also a great fascination with underground cities/civilisations and such, never knew this one existed so thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Cool pics. I like all the underground stuff.

Just on a side note though....How much was the bribe..
..just curious.

Seriously

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Love this thread! Thanks for sharing so much great info and fantastic pictures. I'm curious more now about underground systems all over the world! You've stirred up some curiosity which is a great thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
just amazing...thank you for posting this thread...it was awesome to see what people whent through to make these tunnels...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So if these photos repersent a five class underground hotel i would hate to see what a three star hotel looks like.For dinner we have fried rat with maggotie rice.That bed rooms what a piece of work.The showers look like what most chinese showers look like without soap.its scrubbing brushs tonight.Well as you walk thought the sewer water you can always be garanteeded to have clean feet afterwards.I guess the stink is like a bunch of dead bodies rotting away.Compared to some areas in china above ground this area looks clean in comparison.Lol

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Its frightening ina way that China is so prepared and thorough when it comes to self preservation.
Makes you wonder how hard they laugh at the west as they see their citizens settling in mass numbers in every city and major town in the western world?
Great thread OP thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Interesting. It goes fall beyond the bomb shelters that were here in the US. But you would think for all the time, cost and effort that the Chinese would have taken better care of the place. Or at least maintained it.

Still, a pretty good find.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm reminded of the MOD 'bunker' that is below ground in Corsham, Wiltshire.

Up until the late 70'a, it was used as a cold war Site for Comms, post Nukclear deployment and was designed to house Govt officials and Military alike...

I had the luck to get a guided tour there a few years back - apart from the flooding - MANY sections were similar to the Chinese version.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
can u get wi fi down there. looks pretty comfortable i would live in the theater area if i could

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
S&F, amazing pictures and story

Underground complexes amaze me, that they exist, are used and abandoned and barely ever discussed or acknowledged.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join