It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poltergeist Movie Curse. Any others?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I don't think that this has ever been posted to ATS before. It's not an urban legend because the deaths have been confirmed and did occur. I'm sure that most of us "paranormally" minded folks have all seen at least the first in the trilogy of Poltergeist movies. There were three that were released and some strange events occured surrounding the cast and timing of their deaths.

First, the facts:
1982: Dominique Dunn who played the older sister in the first Poltergeist movie was murdered by her ex-lover shortly after the film's release.
1985: Julian Beck who played the bad spirit' in Poltergeist II, died of stomach cancer. It was not unexpected as the cancer had been diagnosed in early 1984.
1987: Will Sampson who played the 'good spirit' in Poltergeist II, died of after receiving a heart-lung transplant. Will was also known as the tall 'mute' Indian in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest
1988: the young girl in all three movies was played by Heather O'Rourke. She died of a septic infection due to a bowel blockage that cause bacterial toxins to enter her system. Originally it was thought she had the flu, as all the early symptoms were the same. Within 24 hours, she died on the operating table while they tried to remove the blockage.

The events:
1. The three movies were released in 1982, 1986, and 1988. The deaths occured between these years.
2. The two actresses who were "sisters" in the movies died in the same year as the first and final releases (1982 and 1988).
3. The actors who played the "good" and "bad" spirits in the movies died the year before and the year after the middle movie.

Granted these can just be coincidences, but the timing surrounding their existence and the release dates of the movies is very interesting. As far as I know, there is not another movie or set of movies that has shared the same amount of misfortune (especially within such an eerie time frame).

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Does the television series Different Strokes count?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
its like when ever the make a movie about a certain egypt stotyline...everything goes wrong.

maybe its a mind over matter thing
maybe not

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yeah like the Jim Caviesel dude who was playing Jesus got struck by lightning on set.

And of course the Reeve/Reeves Superman thing. Wonder who will play him next, Keanu Reeves?

Nutzo

d1k

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If Linda Blair is still alive and kicking I cant honestly say I believe in curses that has to do with that subject (but that does not mean there isnt
). But I remember when I was a kid my mother talked about the Poltergeist movie deaths

d1k

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nutzobalzo
And of course the Reeve/Reeves Superman thing. Wonder who will play him next, Keanu Reeves?

Nicolas Cage is said to be the next Superman. Not joking.

[edit on 9-6-2004 by d1k]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
There have been other movies, Amityville Horror and The Exorcist both experianced some odd goings on with the cast and crew. The Crow i think was another one.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There was a scene in the poltergeist movies where they come upon a room full of skulls. Remember that? I am told that those were REAL skulls and the movie equipment had a very hard time working that scene. Also, the man who played the indian medicine man REALLY WAS an indian medicine man and he felt the spirits when he got on the set for that scene. He had to do some indian prayers to make the spirits of the dead whos skulls were there happy or at least content long enough for them to get the scene done.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I find it strange that the so called "curse" only managed to strike cast members, whilst crew members such as the director Tobe Hooper (albeit his career did take a nose dive
) and producer Steven Spielberg (some say he actually ended up directing Poltergeist himself) are both alive and kicking.

Here's the snopes article on the subject, is that were you got this story? If so it would help if you would reference it, if not don't worry about it my mistake.

There's also a list of all other film legends and whether they are true or not, they're fun to read check them out.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Cage huh? Hmm Ok, I can dig it. At least we won't hae to worry about poor Keanu coming down with Polio or some crazy stuff.

I find the strangest happenings on a TV or movie set is the Michael J Fox incedent. H supposedly worked on a TV show in Canada, don't know the name, before Family Ties. The rumor is that more than five people eventualy developed Parkinsons including Fox and several cast and crew members of the same TV show. Hmmm.

Nutzo

[edit on 9-6-2004 by nutzobalzo]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
THE OMEN CURSE!!!!!!!!!!!

On AMC a few years ago they had that Much More Movie or DVD TV or whatever they call it now where little commentary things come up on the bottom of the screen and like every 5 seconds it said "Coincidence? Or The Omen Curse?" Yeah, The Omen's a great movie too- it has Atticus in it.

top topics

join