It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds Olympic Commercial is Racist!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by exinterp
First off, books are made out of tree's that’s like hanging your dead from your last living family member, how can't you see the irony, because its JUST a tree?

I had this conversation with a bunch of my teachers the other day.
They might not be using the term in a raciest manner, but it is linked to one. McDonalds should of thought twice either way.

you can call someone who sits on their porch all day a porch monkey, but its still linked to a raciest term which is why you shouldn't call people porch monkeys.

I dont go around calling people knuckle draggers, even if they snowboard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA WOW ................. just ......... WOW!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

reply to post by manta78

Dude to all honestly try too look at it from my prospective.

I'm black, i'm from toronto.

Growing up i was called a Knuckle Dragger by the white kids.

I still am.

A McDonalds commercial, comes out with two white guys, one of them calls the other a knuckle dragger, i'm offended by that because i had no idea its also a snowboarding term.

I'm use to being called a knuckle dragger.

Man the first time i heard this commercial i was freaking out.

You guys might not find it offensive, but all the guys that have been called a knuckle dragger their whole life do.

and thats the bottom line. People feelings can be hurt, and they were.

A thought just crossed my mind ... have you considered the possibility that the people who called you this didn't mean it as the racial slur you took it to be ... but the other definition.

Just a thought ... if you'd listened more closely you may have heard the same term used towards kids of all ethnicities ... and you took it the wrong way.

After all in one of your earlier posts you said that you ... 'call your white friends names because it's humerous'.

Sounds like a lot of name-calling goes on in all directions where you come from.

Woody

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Irony just surrounds some people. In some cases, it must be like a thick fog or even a jelly that oozes from their pores.

Raist

Edit: typo

[edit on 6/2/10 by Raist]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by exinterp

"i'm offended by that because i had no idea its also a snowboarding term."

Ok but now you know. You are more educated, more knowledgeable
about how the term is used the majority of time, that there is more than one use of the expression. So the next time someone calls you that name, in a manner that is implying racism as you suggested, why not turn that around and say something like, Hey cool, I am a snowboarder too, what's your favorite spot in Toronto?

And keep in mind the famous words of Alexander Pope (1688-1744)

"To err is human, to forgive divine"

and move on with your life.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

not always....

There was a car commercial in canada i complained about and got them to change it.

They had a book shelf made out a live tree, so much disrespect. I expressed my anger and how it was wrong to have dead tree's hanging on a live tree, thats like having my dad carry my sister mom and i when were dead.

they changed it

That is exactly whats wrong with the world today. Someone gets their little feelings hurt and any respectible business has to try to please them. All this PC business makes me sick. Someone complaing and gets things changed for everyone. [*SNIP*]

MessOnTheFED!

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.

[edit on 6/2/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't buy this thread at all. Smells like a lot of bait.

It was clear from the offset of the commercial they were using slang related to their sport. Especially when you look at the context of all the commercials. I wasn't familiar with the snowboarding slang in question but I surely knew it belonged there.

I believe the OP is "taking the mickey bliss".

Did I use that right?

- Lee

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by exinterp

Here, I have have something for you:

And just in case it offends you (which I have no doubt in my mind that it will), please see the following:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1082641b3a96.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2-6-2010 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As this thread is essentially based on a subjective premise; almost universally considered false, it has been the decision of Staff to close it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join