It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds Olympic Commercial is Racist!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
First off, books are made out of tree's that’s like hanging your dead from your last living family member, how can't you see the irony, because its JUST a tree?

I had this conversation with a bunch of my teachers the other day.
They might not be using the term in a raciest manner, but it is linked to one. McDonalds should of thought twice either way.

you can call someone who sits on their porch all day a porch monkey, but its still linked to a raciest term which is why you shouldn't call people porch monkeys.

I dont go around calling people knuckle draggers, even if they snowboard.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I call my white friends names that don’t belong to them just because its humorous.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by exinterp

Okay before they used paper they used animal skin to write on. Should we go back to that? Also, plants really do not feel like people and animals do. I do not see how a tree would be offended by having a book on a bookshelf. The idea of a tree being offended is pretty ludicrous to me.

Still you never said how you alone got them to change the commercial.

The knuckle dragger thing just is not racist. Unless of course you have Neanderthal blood in your veins. It might not be the most pleasant of terms to use for someone but it is certainly not racist. If your teachers are telling you it is they are wrong as well.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Racism
I did not see any in that commercial. Hell it's so easy and plain to see that there is no racism in that commercial that even a caveman could see.....ooops!
I forgot that these guys get upset.

[edit on 6/2/2010 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I'm sure someone's already mentioned this...

Even I know that knuckle dragger used in that context is a slang term for snow boarder. Two planker is a skier...

link   

Ok, now that was racist!

I will elaborate more for you, until post is removed. Maybe mods will let it stay as an educational message.

1. There is no such thing as a porch monkey. This is blatantly a racist term referring to the thugs hanging around all day, slinging drugs, no jobs, etc.

2. There is such a thing as a knucke dragger. IE Caveman, Gorilla, Snowboarder, etc. It is someone not too intelligent, just functional enough to get by on brawn.

Now, there are plenty of other racist terms, like "mud-duck." There is no such thing as a mud-duck, therefore it is entirely racist in nature. "Uncle Tom", a black racist term for other blacks. I watched a black sitcom the other night where someone's sister was dating an Irish Cop, and he bought the family an Aunt Jemima pitcher. He just about got beat up! My grandparents always had a little black statue in a riding outfit by their driveway. I never knew it was racist until I was grown! A lot of people love Black Face theatre. It is historical in nature, and usually pretty funny, but now it is racist because of the melodrama and stereo-typical exaggeration, plus it came from racist times.

In conclusion. There are REAL racist issues out there, and there are PERCEIVED racist issues out there, and then there are NON-ISSUES. Your thread is a non-issue. You probably are not even black. You are probably an ultra-sensitive white kid, and the fact that you thought this commercial was racist, probably indicates that you have some racist tendencies.

IE. You heard "knuckle dragger" and YOU thought it meant "black people." NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!

[edit on 2-6-2010 by getreadyalready]

link   

"I had this conversation with a bunch of my teachers the other day.
They might not be using the term in a raciest manner, but it is linked to one. McDonalds should of thought twice either way."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again you are basically stating that the term is linked to a racist term because 3 people in the WORLD said so on urbandictionary.com.???

That is 3 people's opnion on a website whose definitions are submitted by individual's, from all over the world.

Weak arguement and without merit in my opinion.

The only thing I don't like about the commercials is using young athletes to promote junk food to impressionable peers.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

Okay before they used paper they used animal skin to write on. Should we go back to that? Also, plants really do not feel like people and animals do. I do not see how a tree would be offended by having a book on a bookshelf. The idea of a tree being offended is pretty ludicrous to me.

Still you never said how you alone got them to change the commercial.

The knuckle dragger thing just is not racist. Unless of course you have Neanderthal blood in your veins. It might not be the most pleasant of terms to use for someone but it is certainly not racist. If your teachers are telling you it is they are wrong as well.

Raist

Im sorry your not understanding me. Books now adays are made out of tree's. What ever way you want to look at it, its still morbid.
"trees dont have feelings" thats no excuse... lol

And again i'm sorry you dont understand me, i know they arn't presenting it as a racist term, but its linked to one, if there was a black guy (me) sitting in the next booth, and i heard that. well i'd be flipping

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

dude all of toronto uses that word.... 3 people.

Walk down younge.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Go to Jane and Finch, see how many times you hear that yelled out.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If trees do not have feelings then that is plenty excuse. If they have no feelings it cannot be morbid. I understand books are made of paper or refined wood/trees.

Might I ask you if you have any objects made of wood in your home? What do you eat?

Also if a black guy heard it why would you flip?

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

You are the one who specifically cited the reference to urbandictionary.com to back up your claim that it is racist.

Make a difference in the world if the three definitions in
urban dictionary bother you, and get them removed, and you can
then advise all of Canada that you did so.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by exinterp
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Its hard for simple minded people to see things sometimes. Its ok.

I so want to say something. I feel so naughty.

However, I will be good. I still see a pot though.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Dude to all honestly try too look at it from my prospective.

I'm black, i'm from toronto.

Growing up i was called a Knuckle Dragger by the white kids.

I still am.

A McDonalds commercial, comes out with two white guys, one of them calls the other a knuckle dragger, i'm offended by that because i had no idea its also a snowboarding term.

I'm use to being called a knuckle dragger.

Man the first time i heard this commercial i was freaking out.

You guys might not find it offensive, but all the guys that have been called a knuckle dragger their whole life do.

and thats the bottom line. People feelings can be hurt, and they were.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I so want to say something. I feel so naughty.

However, I will be good. I still see a pot though.

Raist

Now see! That is NOT racist. Because, pots and kettles are indeed black! If I say that is the pot calling the kettle black, it is pertinent (has meaning) even if I am speaking to a white person. I saw someone get offended by this one day. (The person was white, we all were white.) They thought it was a racist saying? Why? Because the word "black" is in it?

You can't call someone Negro in the US? What if I am an illegal immigrant, and I speak Spanish, and I am a Federally Protected Endangered Obamanite species? Can I then call you Negro, because it is my word for black? Or is it still racist, even though I don't know any better, and I don't have any ill intentions behind the word?

Is the word itself racist? Is it the "knuckle" word, or the "dragger" word? What if all gorillas were white? Would "knuckle dragger" still seem racist too you?

I am getting very confused, I am going to have to call my black friends and ask them to explain it all to me.
Only problem, they would roll their eyes, ask what kind of idiots I had been conversing with, and then hang up on me! Nobody gets more mad at stupid, hyper-sensitive made up racism than educated black folks! Somehow my buddies were able to become professors, and police chiefs, and politicians. My oh my how could they ever have gotten past those racist McDonalds ads and made something of themselves?

link   

Simple minded indeed! You do realize at this point....I hope....that the only one who sees any racism in that commercial is you right? Seems to me that you are the one with the racial chip on their shoulder. Simple minded..pfff.

link   

And again i'm sorry you dont understand me, i know they arn't presenting it as a racist term, but its linked to one, if there was a black guy (me) sitting in the next booth, and i heard that. well i'd be flipping

You say here that 'you know' they aren't presenting it as a racist term ... and yet the title of this (your thread) is - 'McDonalds Olympic Commercial is Racist' !

And again I'm sorry you don't understand me ... when I say that one guy (irrespective of his colour) calling the other guy (same colour as the first) is not a racist slur ... on anyone of of any colour !!!

You even admit that in your own words in the post I quoted above.

Woody

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Well then maybe I can suggest this. Take a step back into reality, take a breath, and relax. Do not take everything so seriously. Look at things the way they are, it was not racist and was not used in a racist manner. You claim it to be a racist term yet others from Canada claim they have never heard it used as such. At this time you only have your word and urbandictionary to back you on this. No one else has seen it as racist.

Maybe you are just being overly sensitive to things. Maybe no one should ever speak for fear of saying something that might offend another. Which of those two choices do you think is more logical?

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I did not want to say a pot calling a kettle black because it would have been in reference to the simple minded thing. That would have been wrong. Not racist, but wrong to call another poster simple minded.

I just stated that I saw a pot, there is one in my kitchen. I can see my kitchen from where I am sitting.

Raist

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join