It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds Olympic Commercial is Racist!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I do not see it as racist, but rather as a joke and after doing a bit of a research, and relooking at the comercial clip again, here is how I came to that conclusion:

1) If you look at deragatory and racist terms, the tone of voice and body language has to be present. You can insult someone by calling them something nice, if the body language is present.
2) It may be what they call those of african descent in Canada, but as there was no persons of that origin in the shot, it had to mean something else.
3) I would believe that the reference was for snow boarding, as the people in the commercial were snow boarders.
4) To me a knuckle dragger is one that refers to someone who is heavily muscled, like a body builder, or someone who does more heavy physical labor.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Miracle Man

Originally posted by Miracle Man
Differant words have differant meaning in differant cultures. Go to London and tell someone you gotta take a piss.

That would mean you had to take a piss.... go for a wee..... urinate...

Maybe you're thinking of taking/take The Piss?

[edit on 2/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Jeez. It's a good thing people don't hear what I call my husband in jest.
It's a LOT worse than knuckle-dragger. I can't even type it here.

I don't see how that term is related to a specific race, anyway. Both of the guys were the same race (it appears).

Very confusing thread.
But I think it's safe to say that the OP is seeing racism where there is none. To me, knuckle-dragger is kind of like "mouth-breather".

[edit on 6/2/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Wait…does anyone see the irony of a thread being started about a nonracist racist comment and then the OP calling other posters names for correcting their mistake?

I get it. It is bad if someone offends you but you can offend anyone you like. Nice double standards there.

As for the knuckle dragger thing. I would agree it is a humorous way of attacking someone’s intellect. But it is also interesting to know it is a term used for snowboarders.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 6/2/10 by Raist]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Knuckle Dragger = Caveman.

Or Ape, as in low mentality all brawn animal. Not as in "dark colored mammal."

I actually got a post removed once, because it was in an Obama thread, and I said any monkey with an organ grinder could make people smile. It never occured to me at all, that someone would think it was a racist comment, but it seems if you are looking for such a thing, you can find it.

I wonder how many reverse racist things I could find if I started looking hard?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by exinterp

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by exinterp

I don't see how any of that was racist......but I guess if someone looks hard enought they always can find something.

not always....

There was a car commercial in canada i complained about and got them to change it.

They had a book shelf made out a live tree, so much disrespect. I expressed my anger and how it was wrong to have dead tree's hanging on a live tree, thats like having my dad carry my sister mom and i when were dead.

they changed it

How is a dead tree and live trees disrespectful?

I am not sure I get the logic here. Please give a better description or link the video you speak of.

You alone got them to change it huh? Must be a power person we are dealing with. Powerful and intelligent.

Raist

[edit on 6/2/10 by Raist]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just a quick reminder to refrain from personal attacks. Post to the topic, not the person.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Knuckle draggers are not black people.

Black people are human beings. Not some primitive cave man.

Whoever thinks this is racist, IS THE REAL RACIST.

Saying knuckle dragger = black person is "in denial" racist mentality.

In reality Knuckle dragger = Cave Man

Cave men drug their knuckles.

And WHY would a white guy call another white guy "a black person"? It doesn't make ANY SENSE. Now, It does make PERFECT sense if he means "CAVEMAN".

Think about it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I call BS mate.

I am in Canada, born and raised, and in my life here, I have heard and used the term knuckle dragger often. I was referencing an idiot, a moron, an ignorant person some one that is stupid. I have never, ever, ever, heard the term used in a racial manner. Ever. And the only places I haven't been in Canada is Nunavat and the NWT. I have also heard used in a snowboarding context.

Get off your high horse.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I had to read that post about 6 times before it made any sense?

I get it now. The live tree is holding books and stuff that are paper that was once wood that was once part of a tree, kind of, maybe?

And the tree knows this, because the tree can read, and it took those books off of its shelf/arm and it read the books and it learned how paper was made.

My dog sleeps on a bear skin rug, he doesn't mind. Cows eat grass, and then die, and decompose and turn into dirt, and then turn into grass, and then their ancestors eat them again.

I took skin grafts from my butt and had them put on my arms, and I totally know how that tree feels! My butt did not appreciate it at all, but my arm healed up nicely!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Yes, yes of course... Mcdonalds have alienated a huge percentage of their customers by being covertly racist.

Yes, of course they have.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm not up on the snowboarder lingo...but I figured it was a term for them since some of them do drag their knuckles on the snow.

And anyway...I have never thought of knuckle dragger as a black person...always as a "caveman" which would mean an idiot.

No big deal in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by exinterp
.... I am canadian, and in canada, a nuckle dragger is a black guy.

Knuckle Dragger = APE
APE = .......
I don't want to show you the math, but thats what we call black people up here.

Been Canadian my whole life, lived in most of Canada, never heard that being referred to as a black guy. Caveman maybe, but not a black guy.

..Ex

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Hey there MemoryShock,

Apologies for making a reply to the OP whilst angry ... but I'm surprised as to why mine and a couple of other members posts have been removed and points deducted ... when the most offensive post from the OP is still in place (see 5th post - page 1).

If that post stays I consider that to be very unfair under the circumstances as it is the content of that particular post that made me personally see red (I can't speak for the others) ... and stupidly reply whilst angry.

All I am asking from you as an ATS Moderator is to moderate fairly.

Woody

>>> EDIT TO ADD

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That clears things up a bit better, I believe. Thanks.

I tried to figure it out but it made my head hurt. I tried reading it a few more times and it just made me want to cry.

I guess some people are a bit more sensitive than others. I am not sure how that was offensive, maybe I am just a hard hearted person.

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Since you are familiar with the Urban Dictionary, you should know that terms
published on that website are submitted by persons from all over the world.

From their website:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Where do definitions come from?

All of Urban Dictionary's definitions are written by users like you. Urban Dictionary has published user-submitted definitions since it started in 1999."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the case of knuckle dragger there are 3 definitions of out 13 listed that imply what you are suggesting, and 10 listings that have meanings
related to snow boarders, cave man type behavior, etc.

If you are concerned about 3 person's definitions of that word, there
is a procedure in place for those definitions to be removed, by becoming
a volunteer urban dictionary editor.

I don't think the McDonald's commercial was being racist given the context that it was shown.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Miracle Man

Originally posted by Miracle Man
Differant words have differant meaning in differant cultures. Go to London and tell someone you gotta take a piss.

That would mean you had to take a piss.... go for a wee..... urinate...

Maybe you're thinking of taking/take The Piss?

[edit on 2/6/10 by blupblup]

Youre right.

Besides the typo it still applies.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Pretty disgusting atheletes advertising for McDonalds. Anyone involved in sports knows McDonalds is not a healthy meal. I doubt their trainers encourage them to eat there. yet they are happy to take the money and push this junk

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I'm in Canada and have seen that comercial many times. I've never heard the term knuckle dragger exept on Battlestar Galactica and it refered to the mechanics. As for racism, there are no clear signs of it, therfore, the issue is from within. If you look hard enough, you will find it everywhere along with stereotyping. Screw em all that's what I say.. I will not let anyone take control of my thoughts. I suggest you start meditating and find yourself. When you do, you will realize that its a waste of time to even mention racism in that comercial. Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join