It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Gasland

www.boreme.com

Hydraulic facturing? Oil and water do mix. It's happening all across America and now in Europe and Africa as well. We should be worrying. Directed by Josh Fox. Winner of Special Jury Prize - Best US Documentary Feature - Sundance 2010.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/3/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Your Water supply - COMPROMISED !!

Hello All

First time I have 'posted' anything so please treat me gently

I was browsing a website and came across this trailer for an Independant film concerning the Natural Gas industry.
I thought it was potentially topical especially in the light of the BP disaster (I am ashamed of that British Company).

It concerns a method of extraction of gas which appears to be compromising our water supplies...!!!! Scary stuff !!!

(Just a point of order - I am not related or promoting this film in any way but I find the information intresting especially when you consider the way oil & Gas companies are currently behaving !!)

Thoughts?

Cheers
PurpleDog UK

www.boreme.com

www.boreme.com

[edit on 2-6-2010 by PurpleDog UK]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I am extremely disheartened by this BP oil leak. I think we all have a part in the blame game, don't you? I am very worried about my crop this year. I think the aftermath of this oil spill and the dispersants used to "fix" it wil be in the rain water and inevitably in our drinking water for years to come. I don't know if there are words to describe the loss that we all feel when we think of the destruction that an event like this has and will cause. Our municipal drinking water is already poisoned with chloride, flouride, pesticide, prescription drugs. Among other things I'm sure. Don't drink the water man!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
1st hi welcome to ATS,

my god you have to watch the trailer to see what an
impact this is having on our water supply.

that part where a resident where a resident turns
on his water tap and nearly blows himself up to
show how much gas is in his water by lighting it
is scary stuff.

would you drink it? not me. S & F people need to see this.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
well im safe i only drink coca cola lol

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So much for tap water, i am sticking with my bottle waters, by the way heres a interesting thought, what if the government decides to close all the tap waters? eh? what then?

The only options for you are river lakes, bottle waters.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hello all in the UK

Not only is the water supply (globally) being compromised by Human intervention but................

it looks like we might be in for a drought this summer as well !!!

On the bright side then we might get a good sun tan this summer !!!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

PurpleDog UK

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
So much for tap water, i am sticking with my bottle waters, by the way heres a interesting thought, what if the government decides to close all the tap waters? eh? what then?

Tap water in the US is regulated by the EPA, while bottled water is regulated by the FDA. EPA regulations for tap water are generally regarded to be more strict than the FDA's, so you'd actually be better off with tap. Obviously if you smell gas in your tap water, or can ignite it, you'll probably want to alert the EPA and your municipal water and power manager.

www.nrdc.org...

Even when bottled waters are covered by FDA's specific bottled water standards, those rules are weaker in many ways than EPA rules that apply to big city tap water. For instance, comparing those EPA regulations (for water systems which serve the majority of the U.S. population) with FDA's bottled water rules:

* City tap water can have no confirmed E. coli or fecal coliform bacteria (bacteria that are indications of possible contamination by fecal matter). FDA bottled water rules include no such prohibition (a certain amount of any type of coliform bacteria is allowed in bottled water).

* City tap water from surface water must be filtered and disinfected (or the water system must adopt well-defined protective measures for the source water it uses, such as control of potentially polluting activities that may affect the stream involved). In contrast, there are no federal filtration or disinfection requirements for bottled water -- the only source-water protection, filtration, or disinfection provisions for bottled water are completely delegated to state discretion, and many states have adopted no such meaningful programs.

* Bottled water plants must test for coliform bacteria just once a week; big-city tap water must be tested 100 or more times a month.

* Repeated high levels of bacteria (i.e., "heterotrophic-plate-count" bacteria) in tap water combined with a lack of disinfectant can trigger a violation for cities -- but not for water bottlers.

* Most cities using surface water have had to test for Cryptosporidium or Giardia, two common water pathogens that can cause diarrhea and other intestinal problems (or more serious problems in vulnerable people), yet bottled water companies don't have to do this.

* City tap water must meet standards for certain important toxic or cancer-causing chemicals such as phthalate (a chemical that can leach from plastic, including plastic bottles); some in the industry persuaded FDA to exempt bottled water from regulations regarding these chemicals.

* Any violation of tap-water standards is grounds for enforcement -- but bottled water in violation of standards can still be sold if it is labeled as "containing excessive chemicals" or "excessive bacteria" (unless FDA finds it "adulterated," a term not specifically defined).

* Cities generally must test at least once a quarter for many chemical contaminants. Water bottlers generally must test only annually.

* Cities must have their water tested by government-certified labs; such certified testing is not required for bottlers.

* Tap water test results and notices of violations must be reported to state or federal officials. There is no mandatory reporting for water bottlers.

* City water system operators must be certified and trained to ensure that they know how to safely treat and deliver water -- not so for bottlers.

* City water systems must issue annual "right-to-know" reports telling consumers what is in their water; as detailed in this report, bottlers successfully killed such a requirement for bottled water.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by cagliostro

Cagliostro

Thankyou for your information, it was very detailed and I guess is in support of drinking water from taps and the water system...
However, the link at the top and here

www.boreme.com...

suggests that 'allowances' have been made or rules relaxed by the usual suspects which means that energy companies can bypass or avoid some of the regulation in place to protect OUR water..... check out the video trailer .... I shall watch this when it is released...

Cheers

PurpleDog UK

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Hmm that's interesting about special allowances. I too will have to watch this docu when it comes out.

I'm not sure if that wall-o-text I pasted was really arguing FOR tap water, just showing some of the differences of degree to which both bottled and tap water are regulated by their respective "watchdog" agencies.

One of the things that got me interested is that I, too, but bottled water, but I notice the kind I get it says on the label, in tiny print, "Bottled from a municipal water source." In other words, tap water sold as bottled water. Catch-22 anyone?

Sheesh maybe I'd be better off drilling my own well and planting my own veggies

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I just watched the documentary, and was astonished.

In essence, we extract gas to make for a good quality of life, but how can we sustain QOL when drinking water is contaminated and flammable! Does shareholders bank accounts are THAT important?

That kind of behaviour should not be tolerated under a TRULY DEMOCRATIC country. Somethings smells bad in the US, and it's not benzene or methane...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Do you REALLY think that the bottled water you drink is regulated as well as your tap water that comes from a county or city municipality?

Think again, if bottled water does not cross a state line, it is virtually UNregulated!

Here's a thread I started on this subject a couple years ago on ATS that may surprise you about how little testing is done on bottled water, if it remains in the state where it was bottled, compared to the testing done at municipalities that supply you with tap water.

Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap Water?

Now, back on topic, ...

I do believe, that the people affected by this oil/gas in their water in the video are using their own wells for water in their homes.

[edit on 7/23/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Oooops!

My bad! Double post.

[edit on 7/23/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I watched the HBO show intently and am damn concerned. I'm a pro oil, drill here drill now guy but this is not the way to do business. I'm disappointed that W and Mr Cheney apparently knowingly allowed this to be exempt from regulation is also a bit disturbing. Maybe they did it to help with the crisis we were dealing with after hurricane Ivan as a quick fix knowing it could be fixed later. Radical environmentalism is not the answer just common sense, rapid action is needed here and people, all people need to call their congress rep to sign on to legislation that deals with this in a non knee jerk style.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
thank god no wealthy people or their children will be affected, then we would have a real crisis to deal with. it's just the poor and middle class of this country, and of course we know how they are treated, they can simply be ignored.
besides, this is about jobs right? who in his right mind is going to go against corporations that create jobs? i just don't see what all the fuss is about.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by jimmyx]

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This documentary was shocking, I knew it was bad but this definitely opened my eyes on the subject. A must watch for anyone.

new topics

top topics

join