It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 confirmed murdered and 25 injured after Gunman runs amok in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cu

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This is very shocking indeed... been keeping up with it since it broke this morning.
This is not only shocking for such a rural area, this is shocking for England in general.... things like this very rarely happen.

And now the guy's killed himself, we may never know why he did it.

My thoughts are with anyone affected by this.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by deprogrammer
reply to post by Concept X

Byrd has killed one of your customers ..Darren, the slim guy with short dark hair , a fellow taxi driver who supports Middlesborough and local
reports say that Byrd, a weird loner, has shot and killed his mother.

The press have not stated the latter at the moment.

I was just saying that to my girlfriend, there actually is a taxi driver that comes into Betfred called Darren, and he works on the ranks for himself.

He is around 30ish, slim, always wears a beanie and has stubble and a few tattoos, he was in Betfred last night when i was at work for about 5 minutes, he also goes into the local Ladbrokes and is known well, i hope it isnt him as he was a really nice person from what i known of him and from when i had spoke to him in the past.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sky News - Hospital in Whitehaven declares a major incident

Sky News - Argument at taxi rank last night between Bird and two other drivers.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The BBC News 24 channel are talking about gun control with Roger Gray, a Firearms expert, and former member of the Metropolitian Firearms unit. He argue's the knee jerk reaction to Hungerford and Dunblane has done very little to bring gun crime down.

But he then argues those private citizens that legally own their weapons are not a problem as the regulations are so tight.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
At least 5 dead and 25 injured at the moment...

How may guns did he have?

Damn... :shk:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Some news from my local newspaper website (Whitehaven News, Times & Star and News & Star)

www.whitehaven-news.co.uk...
Links to the other two at the bottom of Whaven news website.

"Michael Peugh, a taxi driver from Whitehaven, said three of his fellow drivers have been shot."

"After the gunman fled Whitehaven, he is believed to have shot a farmer in a field near the Red Admiral hotel in Gosforth.

A witness told the News & Star he heard two shots at around 11.30 am.

“The driver of a skip wagon came running towards me saying someone has been shot in the head,” he said.

“The skip driver called police. [The farmer] was lying in the gateway of the field. Ten minutes later a helicopter flew over and police came and told us to stay in our homes.”

The road was blocked off and the body was thought to have been removed shortly afterwards."

"Gary Toomey, 38, heard what he thought were car tyres exploding as he worked at his Cringlethwaite home.

Then he realised the bangs were gunshots just outside and as he looked out of the window, he saw a car speeding away.

He ran downstairs and found the bleeding man on his doorstep.

He said: “I saw a car screeching off and a man saying help me.

“He was bleeding heavily from the side of his face.

“He said he dived out of the way of the shot and the man in the car pointed the gun down and shot him again in the back from about six feet away as he lay on the floor"

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Sky News - first shooting was outside a beauticians in Whitehaven. More speculation, but perhaps it all revolves around a woman?

It started outside the taxi office, not a beauticians. So last night's argument, and maybe more words this morning, was what took him over the edge today.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Helen Carter in Whitehaven has heard reports that one of Bird's victims may have been his brother. There are also reports locally that Bird's mother, who it is claimed he shot last night, was terminally ill. Neither report has been confirmed.

www.guardian.co.uk...

So this guy possibly killed his Mother and Brother? Beyond words.

If this is confirmed it would appear this began last night then with the shooting of his Mother.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

Helen Carter in Whitehaven has heard reports that one of Bird's victims may have been his brother. There are also reports locally that Bird's mother, who it is claimed he shot last night, was terminally ill. Neither report has been confirmed.

www.guardian.co.uk...

So this guy possibly killed his Mother and Brother? Beyond words.

If this is confirmed it would appear this began last night then with the shooting of his Mother.

Oh my good Lord!
If he took his family then I would guess he planned to take his life from the start.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yeah he returned to his hometown and shot his mother.

That's been confirmed on Sky news

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
BBC News 24 is reporting that the police is reporting MORE than 5 dead and 25 injuried.

Listening to a horrific report from a man who had a woman die in his arms becasue of shotgun wounds. Truly terrible.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Didn't come over here from the USA did he? This type of thing usually happens over there...

And yeh as you say ... 5 dead, 25 injured but the death toll is expected to rise...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
"3pm: Latest reports talk of 12 dead and 15 wounded. But police say it is now safe for people to go about their business."

www.whitehaven-news.co.uk...

Getting worse as time goes on, statement expected by Cumbria police at 5pm, (in about 20 mins).

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Concept X

A terrible crime and tragedy. Glad your ok though mate and those who are close to you. I have changed the headline of this thread to more accurately report the story.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Watch this: www.youtube.com...

(Skip to around 5:50)

Charlie Brooker analyses the way the media reported on the shootings in Germany over a year ago.

Mostly interestingly, a forensic psychiatrist is interviewed and states that he has told media outlets that if they do not want to propagate shootings such as this, there are a number of things they can do in the way they report the story:

1. Don't start the news story with sounds of sirens blaring.
2. Don't have photographs of the killer all over the news.
3. Don't make the story 24/7 coverage.
4. Don't make the body count the lead story.
5. Don't make the killer out to be some kind of anti-hero.
6. DO localise the story to the affected community and make it as boring as possible in every other market.

This forensic psychiatrist stated that every time there is intense coverage of mass murder and the "do's and don't's" listed above are ignored by the media, it often inspires copycat killers.

Of course the media ignored pretty much all of these points in the way they reported the German shootings and it seems as if they are doing the same with these shootings today.

Hopefully we do not see any copycat murders as a result of this.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Lurch]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Shame this has to happen, especially in such a quiet rural area of the country. I hope all 25 injured victims pull through and i hope the motive behind this killing spree is soon found out.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Didn't come over here from the USA did he? This type of thing usually happens over there...

And yeh as you say ... 5 dead, 25 injured but the death toll is expected to rise...

No, it does NOT typically happen over here. It happens wherever a human being goes berserk and not enough armed citizens are around to put a halt to it. In the Old West, where everyone was armed, people thought twice about using a gun because no doubt you would be targeted fast if you went nuts.

I am not proposing that all Brits carry guns...it has been too long that your weapons have been gone...but if most people were armed, rampages would stop faster because the people would use force to protect each other. Guns are NOT the issue, just like hammers and knives are not an issue, it is the people who abuse a tool that are at fault.

No doubt England will crack down even more and when a crazy goes off we will keep seeing big numbers of dead. Take away the guns from the good folks and only the bad ones have them...real great policy.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

How can this be?? I thought all guns were basically BANNED, in England???
I find it very hard to believe, that someone considering multiple murder, would EVEN CONSIDER violating an anti-gun law! THAT, will get you REAL jailtime!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotgal

How can this be?? I thought all guns were basically BANNED, in England???

So why did you think that?

That is clearly completely untrue.
There are many guns in the UK..... both legal and illegal.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lurch

YOU are obviously NOT in the newspaper business!!! "If it bleeds, it leads!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join