It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 confirmed murdered and 25 injured after Gunman runs amok in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cu

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Would you like many armed men out on the streets? What if they don't have the latest news with a photo of the suspect and they come across someone openly armed? "Excuse me, are you the nutter?" Or is it best to shoot him first to make sure?

Believe it or not, people are actually capable of using common sense. And when the general citizenry is armed, there is no need to be 'out on the streets' hunting criminals. There is also no need to hide in your homes while a single gunman is allowed to terrorize entire suburbs. Fine for the police to issue a caution and advise not to approach this man, not fine to be hiding under your beds with nothing but hope that the police will protect you.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

If he's already pointing the gun at you, I seriously doubt you'll have a chance to defend yourself whatever you're carrying, IMO.

True, but the chances are, other armed people in the street would then blow his head off... making the death toll just two people (instead of the blood bath that looks like its unfolding!

Anyway... politics on gun laws aside... my thoughts go out to the family’s of the victims... very sad!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

Handsome fella.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
From the Guardian.

Simon Connolly from Santon in Cumbria emails:

I live in Santon which is about 2.5 miles from the (unconfirmed) shooting in Gosforth. Around noon a large convoy of police vehicles passed at high speed in the direction of Eskdale. I now realise that the gunman must have driven passed my house.

I'm in lockdown at the moment though latest reports say the gunman is on foot in Boot (about five miles away). I've since heard that the doctors at my GP's surgery in Seascale have certified two people dead there. A day off to do a bit of gardening has turned out to be very frightening.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Believe it or not, people are actually capable of using common sense. And when the general citizenry is armed, there is no need to be 'out on the streets' hunting criminals. There is also no need to hide in your homes while a single gunman is allowed to terrorize entire suburbs. Fine for the police to issue a caution and advise not to approach this man, not fine to be hiding under your beds with nothing but hope that the police will protect you.

Ok, fair enough

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I see from your Avatar that you are in Cumbria Galacticus. Where exactly?

Edit:

I swear you just changed that location to Eastbourne??!!! Which of course is not in Cumbria but in Sussex.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I see from your Avatar that you are in Cumbria Galacticus. Where exactly?

Sorry, I just hadn't updated it! I made a post earlier about when I lived in Millom

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Ha ha, no worries. Obviously Cumbria is a pretty large county but is Millom near to where this is taking place?

Urgh BBC News 24 just reported that most of those shot were shot in the FACE. Truly disgusting.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
4 Dead, still on the run

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

This may be a little off topic, but doesn't this situation demonstrate the foolishness of disarming the law abiding public? A criminal has a gun and entire regions are being told to hide in their homes?

But all you need are some trigger happy civilians using guns and "accidentally" killing someone who could look similar. Would'nt be a good idea imo.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
Ok, fair enough

Damn your accommodating British disposition.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Starting to get more on Derrick Bird and the victim he shot in Whitehaven taxi rank.

PA is piecing together a profile of Derrick Bird, or Birdy, as he's known. He was self-employed and lived alone, according to Sue Matthews, a telephonist at A2B Taxis in Whitehaven.

She told PA: "To be honest, he was a quiet fellow. I am in absolute shock. I can't believe he would do that - he was a quiet little fellow.

"It is like watching something from America. I know him through work, he was self-employed but it's a small place. I know he had one son, who was grown up, and he lived alone. He was a regular in town and would have a night out. I would say he was fairly popular. "I would see him once a week out and about. He was known as Birdy."

One of the victims was also a taxi driver, according to Glenda Pears who runs L&G Taxis in the town. She said Bird had been a taxi driver for 23 years and was divorced with two sons. She described him as a "real nice man".

She told PA:"We just don't know what's happened. The lad that's been killed was friends with him. They used to stand together having a craic on the rank.

"He was friends with everybody and used to stand and joke on Duke Street.''We are just numb at the moment. We just want to know what he's done it for. He's such a nice lad. One of my drivers was talking to him last night. He was just working as normal and was going to go to Tesco's to get chicken."

www.guardian.co.uk...

Heard reports that unarmed police went running towards the shooter in Whitehaven. Heroic and selfless behaviour.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
BREAKING NEWS.

Derrick Bird's body has been found in the wooded area of Boot. Suicide?

link   
He's been found... or rather his body has.

In woods in Boot

link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Seems like it, they found the firearm aswell

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Damn your accommodating British disposition.

Ha ha, no worries. Obviously Cumbria is a pretty large county but is Millom near to where this is taking place?

Urgh BBC News 24 just reported that most of those shot were shot in the FACE. Truly disgusting.

Yeah, this is a brutal one. That area has had it tough lately with this and floods in the past.

Millom is South of Seascale and Whitehaven where most of this is focused. It's an isolated place really where anyone who wasn't born there is an inferior outsider, no matter how many years they live there. From what I have heard, a lot of Cumbria is like this, but take it for what it's worth.

Sky News - Ten or eleven crime scenes

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The doctor who attended victims in Whitehaven is on the line to BBC News 24 now. Has said how shocked he was by the ''deliberate callousness of the shotgun wounds to the face''.

Horrible.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If suicide I hope, he had enough face left for recognition. If not I would be interested in them knowing for sure this is not someone else and a gun left with them to cause them to fall back.

What type of weapon did he have? Was there possibly more than one weapon?

Raist

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

The wounds inflicted on his victims were caused by a shotgun. No word on any other weapons used.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I hope he left behind something, anything, to point to what on Earth happened to him.

Originally posted by Raist
What type of weapon did he have? Was there possibly more than one weapon?

It was a shotgun I believe

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join