It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American investors: Predictably stupid losers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

American investors: Predictably stupid losers

www.marketwatch.com

Why so blunt? Listen: Recently I explained why the Wall Street banks must kill financial reform, to preserve their multibillion dollar bonus pool. One reader commented: "I worked at the Bear Sterns ... every word written here is true. Fact is, bankers regard themselves as wolves and the public as prey, and speak about it openly, among themselves." Then he added a sucker punch: "What is extraordinary to me is how willingly the sheep submit to this."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This is one of those times when we have an insider coming out and saying they way it is. The source article goes on to say that the algorithms so that the investors are stupid, as well as they act like sheep going to the stouter house. On top of that with Obama backing the status que wall street yet again skims billions from the investors.

www.marketwatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The Banks have always taken people's money. Ignorant people's money that is !

Forest Gump said it...." Stupid is as Stupid does".

The problem with most socalled investors is that they rely upon a broker to give them investment advice.

The same as we see here on ATS, people won't open a book but choose to watch a You Tube video instead.

A Broker is a mere salesman and makes his money on the transaction and will tell you practically anything to motivate you to execute a trade, which is inevitably how he gets paid.

Martha Stewart was a Wall Street Broker and was caught using a common ploy, and eventually was convicted of it, in which she using inside information "Advised" her clients to buy a particular stock, driving the price up after which she and the insiders would then sell.

This is also why we see a huge growth in "Discount Brokers" because the brokers "Advice" isn't worth Crap !

I have done very well investing by following my own research and advice and by following major trends, for example in products consumed by Baby Boomers.

I for years have advised people to get out of stocks and buy Gold instead.

I might as well have said " Beaver Pelts" !

But some heeded my advice to buy Gold in 2006 at $580/oz and have doubled their money !

As it is said, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink !~

It isn't only Obama, who works as a Wall St. Cheerleader.

But remember GW Bush's solution to Social Security reform in 2005, which was to have Americans invest in the stock market in lieu of contributing to Social Security ?

And having all Americans buying at the top of the market to lose not only their 401K retirement savings but also their Social Security !

What a boon for the brokerage firms and Wall Street that would've been !

And what a tragedy it would've been for the Americans who believed GW's sales pitch.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
"American investors: Predictably stupid losers"?

Author of article is stupid for thinking all american investors are predictably stupid...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

The article is stupid. The percentage of the equity markets that are held by folks with individual accounts is tiny. The percentage of those accounts that are actively managed rather than adopt passive strategies is even smaller. Those folks are rounding errors.

Institutional investors drive the market. The average person is certainly impacted due to their holding equities in their pension accounts, but they don't have much, if any flexibility at all to control their money other than selecting between funds.

All that being said, buy and hold will still be a winning investment strategy and the fact is that most folks with their pension accounts are in the market for a long term and not looking for investment income.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Dolphinfan
the buy and hold philosophy may not be true any more. Do you have any references to back that up as still true?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Dolphinfan
the buy and hold philosophy may not be true any more. Do you have any references to back that up as still true?

i'm sure that member does not have countless references/proofs that a buy-&-hold outlook/model will work or is the better strategy... to satisify your criteria- specifics.

Dolphrinfan (i'm not trying to be the members 'voice') might be saying that self-managing your own portfilio...with a buy-&-hold preferance...
might be a better way of managing a portfilio than massive switching/trading/diversification programs for ones 401k or IRA or ROTH account.

i wont bore you...or inflate my ego/prowess...by telling you that my own 'buy-&-hold' mechanizations with 12 'DRIP' accounts with an input of $16k
-> has netted me rewards of over $25k redeemed money, with $3k in current holdings and another $30k in my ROTH acct. all within 12 years on a income of $7.00 per hour ...i.e. below the minimum wage rate !

hey...you go ahead and listen to your brokers & finance experts that get commissions/fees to diversify your market involvement (their take home money)

i know you can think for yourself.... then why are you spouting off the sales-pitch garbage of these trolling wolves-in-sheeps-clothing???

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

St udio
first off congratulations on your forchanant returns for your investment. I wish all could be as lucky.
As to the buy and hold for the IRA and the like, when the market turned down mine lost about twenty percent or so. When I first got into stocks the broker told me that all the references he has seen says to hold for a min of seven years. Because the marker has always made money in any seven year period. The marks has done things it has never done before the last few years. So I am just thinking that strategy may not work any more.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Where is your proof?

How about a mathematical certainty if you want to take into account the last 100+ years of price action?

SPY + Dollar Cost Averaging = Long Term Profits

Take advantage of simple mathematics.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

SPY + Dollar Cost Averaging = Long Term Profits

Not to sure what you mean by the above quote but the proof would have been in the last one hundred years of profits, loss broken down by years and then groupings for long term, short term investment.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Keyword long term.

Mathematically lower your cost basis over x amount of years. Substitute in any variables you would like.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
get out of equities and go for currencies... be like me...clobber the big boys. they have games or tricks that pay well on a very short term...hours and the ones that only last minutes. also, did you know one can profit from pure technicals...triple the account each year with low drawdown and very fast recovery from drawdown, that's the holy grail of trading or investing.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Yo..... its not about being 'Lucky"
its about being some sembelance of being informed (at some level)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

That you have "not any longer" in your question suggests that you are considering an investment strategy that is based on prediction of the economy and equity markets.

The buy and hold strategy for long-term investing has been proven to be a winning strategy, again for a long-term 10+ years. I've got no crystal ball and am not interested in listening to someone who thinks he has one.

new topics

top topics

join