It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mossad chief: Israel less important to US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Mossad chief: Israel less important to US

www.ynetnews.com

Mossad chief Meir Dagan is concerned by the change in US positions and influence on Israel. "There are fewer Israeli assets in the US," he said in the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee meeting on Tuesday. "Israel's importance was greater when there was conflict between the blocs, while this year there has been a decrease (in Israel's importance)."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Dagan gave an overview of the situation to MKs and noted, "If in the 90s the US was a 'global policeman,' a power that could solve conflicts, in the first decade of the millennium the US's power to solve conflicts is limited. The election of (US President Barack) Obama was a declaration that it was adopting a softer approach and did not want to use force to solve conflicts. It has been viewed as weakness and influences Israel's difficulty in diplomatic maneuvers."

Tony Judt, historian and a former employee of the IDF, said this about the future of Israel:

Remember the Roman Empire, the state of Judea behaved in ways which annoyed the Romans but didn't do them any harm. At the point that they were becoming a nuisance, the Romans turned against them, destroyed their temple, wiped them out and told them 'an empire has bigger concerns than you'. This is what Israel faces in the next 25 years.

The risk that the American empire will say wait a minute, you don't matter so much to us, either because we need oil more than we need you or because oil is no longer important - doesn't matter both has the same effect. You are more trouble than you are worth and the issue of the Holocaust and anti-Semitism is declining with demographic move to the next generation. This is a catastrophe for Israel, because Israel has no other friends in the world.

Although the motives he suggests for the declining importance of Israel to the US might not be fully correct, I believe he is certainly right about the future of Israel. There are a number factors responsible for this, the poor state of the US economy and domestic problems being two of them.

Meir Dagan effectively says that the US is losing the ability to exercise power on a global level and hence, the importance of Israel starts to fade gradually. I believe that the world made a crucial mistake to create Israel in the Middle East as I am afraid that Israel will not survive in the longer-term.

The European financial woes mask the problems in the US, but in reality the US economy is no better off than countries like Greece.
As soon as the economy comes tumbling down, the US loses its ability to act as the savior of Israel. Like Judt says: 'This is a catastrophe for Israel, because Israel has no other friends in the world.'

www.ynetnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2

Tony Judt, historian and a former employee of the IDF, said this about the future of Israel:

This is a catastrophe for Israel, because Israel has no other friends in the world.

Like Judt says: 'This is a catastrophe for Israel, because Israel has no other friends in the world.'

I think here is one major fault in your analysis as well as Tony Judts. Israel has friends, but that are not those that preach for ever harsher methods to deter all neighbours. Some Mossad Analysts need to get their paranoia level down and kiss their violent behaviour goodbye, but that will hardly be the end of Israel. Israel has enough smart people to even survive a peace.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by XenoStuffz]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I wonder if Israel pulled a lot of their assets from the US because it knows the US is going to crumble?

Sounds like Meir Dagan is trying to convince people that Israel doesn't control the US.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XenoStuffz

I am curious to know which nations you reckon to be friendly towards Israel and I mean - genuinely. My own country, the Netherlands, has a pro-Israel government but I am sure that they couldn't care less if Israel would be in real trouble.

reply to post by NuclearPaul

For a long time, I have the suspicion that Israel is already preparing to find a next savior to replace the US if the worst comes to the worst. The only nations I could think of that could replace the US would be Russia or perhaps China, but on the other hand I cannot really imagine that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
reply to post by XenoStuffz

I am curious to know which nations you reckon to be friendly towards Israel and I mean - genuinely. My own country, the Netherlands, has a pro-Israel government but I am sure that they couldn't care less if Israel would be in real trouble.

If friendly means accepting and supporting Israels right to exist and hoping for Israel to find peace eventually... Britain, France, Germany, the Benelux, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Greece, even Turkey....

If friendly means accepting Israels right to starve the Gaza Population for voting Hamas and to steal the Westbanks with an agressive setlement politics.. so far only the USA, and even they will find it harder and harder to support Israel.

Israel isnt at the brink of destruction through any outside force, that is paranoid spin from Arms Trade PR guys. Israel is destructing itself by keeping an armed struggle alive inside her borders and denying any negotiations.

top topics

join