It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Get Rid of the New Naughty-Nice Ad please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
How do I get rid of the new 'Are You Naughty or Nice' advertisement please ?

There's no 'x' to click to rid my screen of it

What other options are there, other than Cnt/Alt/Delete --- which require me to completely close-down my computer ?

I HATE that type of Ad
and consider them 'cheating'

I accept ATS needs ads for revenue, but in future ATS, would you only accept advertisers who play fair instead of what are in effect, computer-rapists ?

I won't be visiting ATS very often in the future if I have to run the gauntlet of this type of sneaky advertisers

thank you

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I haven't encountered it, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, the majority doesn't mind, or simply doesn't care. Or so I believe, I'm not really sure.

Anyway.

Lol, I've been thinking of getting an ad blocker that won't let any ads play what-so-ever. Just so I don't have to deal with the ridiculous "Evony" game ads on some sites.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SentientBeyondDesign

Thanks for responding

Someone will be home soon and they'll know what to do

But I think it's really poor form for ATS to allow these sorts of Ads

If they don't tell the advertiser in question to play by the rules or get out, that advertiser will eventually end up costing ATS, rather than adding to its coffers

It should be a simple affair to click away the ads, which anyway sit like gate-keepers at the ATS front door. Instead, this despicable advertiser attempts to shanghai the ATS member's computer

I wouldn't buy from the advertiser in question -- on principle. And it doesn't portray ATS management in good light, either

Thanks again for responding

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Began this thread at 1.57

That's about half an hour ago

No Mods on duty, apparently

I will now close down my computer in order to rid myself of this ATS advertiser whom I now DESPISE

I will not be logging into this board again until a solution to the problem is posted -- which I will monitor by browsing rather than logging in

Would ATS management advise please if the 'Naughty/Nice
advertisement is a genuine ad which ATS has for some reason decided is fitting imposition on it's users

..... or, is it a 'retaliation' by the Megaphoners currently infecting ATS ?

And if so, what does ATS intend to do about it ?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

I believe the problem is, you don't know if you're naughty or nice. Take a stand for pete's sake!

What ad are you talking about? I've never seen it and have had no problems with it.

Hmmmmmmm....maybe because I took a stand and decided to be naughty.

All in fun, here.

I wonder, though. I have heard people have had problems with ads on ATS.
I only had problems when I was not logged in. Once logged in, no problem.

Anyway, the owners of ATS gotta earn some money somehow, in order to maintain this site. I don't know how they do it, because I haven't spent a dime while being a member of this site. Although I have had some points taken from me from time to time. Not sure how that turns into income for others, though. Hmmmmmmmm...........I am given free points and they get taken away from me. Hmmmmmmmm.......Somebody must be profiting........

Mark Allen, you got some insight into this?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Sounds like some one is logged onto Addictinggames.com at the same time as ATS

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Use Opera.

100% of pop ups blocked, and you can select specific images and servers to block too.

It also makes it easy to manage cache and cookies, eliminating any funny business via your browsing. PS, delete all cookies soon, if your pc is allowing pop ups, most likely they have already made themselves comfortable on your hardrive.

Peace

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I believe the ads that appear are generated based on your overall web habits. For instance, I lead a double-life of luxury fashion consumption
, so the ads most frequently appearing on my screen are for those retailers. When I go on a kick of researching a particular subject, the ads reflect that. I don't know the specifics of the system, but this sort of made-to-order advertising seems to be universal across the net--ATS is from unique in that. Clearing your browsing history (including cookies) should help.

[edit on 2/6/10 by paperplanes]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SentientBeyondDesign
I haven't encountered it, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. Unfortunately, the majority doesn't mind, or simply doesn't care. Or so I believe, I'm not really sure.

Anyway.

Lol, I've been thinking of getting an ad blocker that won't let any ads play what-so-ever. Just so I don't have to deal with the ridiculous "Evony" game ads on some sites.

There was a very long thread about theuse of Ad Blockers and we were requested not to use them so that ATS may get some revenue in order to keep going.

Seeing ads is a small price to pay for having this forum over the years.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Awww man, bring back the "GET RIPPED IN 4 WEEKS" ads.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

You are supposed to report ad problems in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just search for "ad hit list" is how I found it. If you read through that thread I think you'll find ATS is pretty responsive to member feedback about ad problems, but don't expect results in 5 minutes, it may take a little time to resolve the issues.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
You should take issues with the cheaters and not the ads for companies that help them. If people didn't cheat they wouldn't be in business.

I'm sure you have seen worse in life so it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Maybe you have some issues you need to work through personally if this is that big of a concern for you, I'm betting you have or think you will be cheated on.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
As mentioned by Arbitrageur, the following thread is an outlet to bring to Admin's attention unfavorable ads...Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

The ads that display are not specifically hand picked by management, rather they are applied through third parties and hosted. For this reason, we get ads that we would rather not have from time to time.

Please post your preference in the above linked thread and have a bit of patience please.

Thread Closed.

new topics

top topics

join