It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Anarcho-surrealist" party wins Iceland elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well, I don't blame them for wanting to give something new a try. The "straight" political hell they've been through over the last few years has been both more "surreal" and "anarchic" than I imagine the regine of the so-called "Best Party" is likely to be.

"...the 6 month-old “Best Party,” which is headed by a comedian, won the Reykjavik elections, after campaigning with the catch slogan “Whatever Works.” The Best Party promises to get a polar bear for the zoo and preaches the benefits of “anarcho-surrealism.” While the Best Party’s critics implored its team of comedians, actors and musicians to end their campaign, soon to be-mayor Jon Gnarr insisted he would follow through to the end. It was the best way to expose the “ridiculous” state of traditional politics, he said. Gnarr also promised free towels, to lobby for a Disney Iceland, getting Parliament drug-free by 2020 and to cut down on the number of Santas at Christmas..."

More at source:
philsbackupsite.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Do you have any links to Icelandic news sites for source? The link you offer is not discussing the elections.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
ha ha ha that's awesome! Why not, government is a joke! Too bad all the sheep in America fear they won't be able to tie thier shoes without government...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Do you have any links to Icelandic news sites for source? The link you offer is not discussing the elections.

I gave ya all that I got. Try:

www.google.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Thank you! If I find something useful I will share it.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Why not? It'll be interesting if these comedians do as in government as they did in the polls.

Otherwise the joke may have gone too far.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

My link is not working OP! I don't understand why my post will not edit.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
haha. how Dada-esque. kind of reminds me of that Robbin Williams movie where the talk-show guy becomes president. only anarcho-surrealist sounds way cooler.

and the last name Gnarr is way cool too

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I think it will work because being a legislator isn't as hard as its made out to be.
They just want it to look complicated and majestic so people think you have to be someone special to be a legislator or executor.

Right now the elite has everyone in the palm of their hands. People think you have to have gone to Yale and be an up and coming lawyer to be a politician, when all it takes is common sense.

The only reason it looks like that is because the top 1% have control of it and they make it look like that so they can keep ruling for the top 1%.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This is what the world needs.

We need to embrace creative chaos. We are so fearfully certain that disorder, or change, equals destruction. In truth, advancement is impossible without periodically shaking out the proverbial rugs and discarding old, outmoded laws and traditions.

Otherwise, year after year and century after century of regulation, precedent, and tradition will build up until the rule of law begins to buckle under its own hoary bulk. In a certain broad stratum of humanity (far larger than many like to think), reverence for meaningful, relevant law is lost where society is dominated by unnecessarily restrictive, dogmatic legislation for which no genuine social impetus or demand exists.

In other words, where the need for a law (or many laws) is not clear, people will be less likely to respect any law.

Without a steady, consistent current of anarcho-surrealism to expunge the old and the irrelevant from our body of tradition, society will become too rigid and heavy for a larger and larger segment of the population--those who live in America not simply by chance but because of an ardent love of and desire for freedom-- to live peacefully in obeisance to the government. Unless peaceful, creative disorder is accepted and even encouraged, and the process of social change allowed to proceed unimpeded as the need for it arises, chaos of a more destructive kind will arise in its place. Disorder is inevitable, and it can be a highly beneficial (even necessary) vehicle for advancement and improvement-- but in any attempt to slow or stem the ceaseless tide of change, the waters can be dammed for only so long before they burst their bounds with startling force.

Iceland has the right idea. However, I fear that, if America is ever ready for a process like this one, it will not be for decades.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by The Parallelogram]

new topics

top topics

join