It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Struck By Car Sues Google For Its Directions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

PARK CITY, Utah (AP) ― A pedestrian who says she was injured by a motorist while following an online walking route has filed a lawsuit claiming Google Inc. supplied unsafe directions.

Lauren Rosenberg filed a lawsuit seeking more than $100,000 on Thursday in U.S. District Court in Utah. It also names a motorist she says hit her.

Rosenberg, a resident of Los Angeles County, says she used her phone in January to download walking directions from one end of Park City to the other.

Google Maps led her to walk on a busy road without sidewalks that was "not reasonably safe for pedestrians," according to the lawsuit filed by the Los Angeles County resident.

On its version for computers, Google Maps suggests one alternative for Rosenberg's route. It also highlights a disclaimer: "Use caution -- This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths."

The mobile version of Google Maps, however, does not come with that warning.

Source

Do you guys think she'll succeed? I would hope so, but I doubt it.

She used google on her own to get directions. What if she asked a regular bystander? That gave her the same route to take, and had the same outcome.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Oozii]

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Any thoughts?

Yeah, the Republic is dead

Cause of death: 1,000 paper cuts from morons too stupid to live

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Seriously stupid.

She should be sueing her parents for not teaching her to cross the road properly.

MM

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This reminds me of the lady who sued the makers of Captain Crunch cereal maker because she thought they were REAL crunch berries rofl. Because theres um no such thing as a crunch berry. She lost of course.

This lady should be laughed out of the courtroom and fined for bringing a frivolous lawsuit. Seriously this kind of mentality is baffling.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Just another frivolous lawsuit. People will seriously sue over anything these days.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Why would you hope she succeeds?

Is lack of personal accountability dead?

Oh .... never mind

[edit on 1-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Natural selection at work here.

She should be lucky it didn't tell her to jump off a bridge...

SM

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiKFury
This reminds me of the lady who sued the makers of Captain Crunch cereal maker because she thought they were REAL crunch berries rofl. Because theres um no such thing as a crunch berry. She lost of course.

This lady should be laughed out of the courtroom and fined for bringing a frivolous lawsuit. Seriously this kind of mentality is baffling.

Oh wow, lmao. I never heard about that
Well thats what happens when your money hungry.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Why would you hope she succeeds?

Is lack of personal accountability dead?

Oh .... never mind

[edit on 1-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

I hope, because I doubt she will.

They put that "At your own Risk" for a reason.
Its just as important to add that also to show up when using a cellphone.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
People used to sue to persons that hit them in an accident, not the place they got directions from ...????/

She should sue the driver, who hit her, not the free service to get alternative routes home. Sadly, google will probably lose because they didn't have a site disclaimer that says they are not responsible for things happening when following directions.

Sigh, how backwards this world has become. Man, next time I get a crack in the windshield I should sue mapquest for not warning me that rocks could kick up from cars along the interstate!!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Lynx did an ad for their deodorant showing this guy spraying it on and turning into a total chick magnet.
Some idiot tried it for two years and couldn't pick up so tried suing Lynx for false advertising.
Same thing, kind of.
The world is just dumb!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Sheesh, I did a quick search and found this.

If you can’t sue the system, sue yourself. 1995, Robert Lee Brock sued himself for $5 million. He claimed that he had violated his own civil rights and religious beliefs by
allowing himself to get drunk and commit crimes which landed him in the Indian
Creek Correctional Center in Virginia, serving a 23 year sentence for grand larceny
and breaking and entering. What could he possibly have to gain by suing himself?
Since being in prison prevented him from having an income, he expected the state to
pay. This case was thrown out.

www.scribd.com...

That makes this lawsuit seem its for a VERY good reason.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Oozii]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The sad thing is she will most likely win... jury's are full of complete Idiots too.
2nd line

top topics

join