It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cause And Treatment For Both Schizophrenia And Multiple Sclerosis?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Thank you for the post, very interesting information!

I don't know if I would necessarily agree with the part about that correlates it with cold weather though.

My longtime friend is now age 58 and was diagnosed with MS when she was age 39. And she was born in July (hot month) and she was born, raised and had lived in Southern California until she was age 32, so in a very temperate climate that doesn't often get cold.

I also don't know about the correlation to high stress or trauma in childhood because my friend had a pretty normal, nonstressful childhood, nothing much but the usual kid type of stuff, good family, loving parents, nothing out of the ordinary at all. And nothing out of the ordinary or very stressful in her adult years either (until she was diagnosed with MS that is).

Interestingly though...when my friend was in high school, about age 16 or 17 I think, she did have mononucleosis.

And as one of the other posters mentioned, back when my friend was diagnosed, it was basically what they call a "diagnosis of exclusion." They looked for and tested for everything else and when they came up empty handed, that's when they made the diagnosis and called it MS.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sapient

Thanks for your post sapient.

The cold weather correlation, I believe, is irrefutable. Of course this is not to say that there are not schizophrenics and MS-sufferers born every day of the year (your friend is obviously an example), but statistically, it is far more common for schizophrenics/MS patients to have been born in winter/early spring. I believe this is not unheard of with various other diseases, as well, which is why there is acceptance that suppressed immune systems (due to winter maladies like the flu) can and do promote the acquisition of other conditions.

Perhaps warmer climates are what skew the statistics away from winter/early spring births. I don't know. But it does make me wonder if flu seasons in warm climates are the same as in temperate climates with moderate to hard winters.

The correlation to high stress or trauma, I believe, may not even exist! And certainly not for MS sufferers. There is no connection I am aware of there. This is why this research is interesting - because it is science-based with researchable hypotheses. The research does not depend on stress of trauma. Though, to be fair, I believe many of these researchers do believe that high-stress events can be a triggering factor in prompting the onset of schizophrenia in those who possess genetic proclivity and the infectious record that some believe allow schizophrenia to occur.

I think many, if not most, people had mono or acquired the antibodies for mono in their youth. Those who did not are unusual. The rule may be along the lines of every schizophrenic/MS-sufferer had mono or acquired the antibodies, but not everyone who had mono or acquired the antibodies, obviously, develops schizophrenia or MS.

I find these anecdotal stories about the exclusion diagnosis for MS very interesting and would like to find out more about this.

Again, thanks for your post.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

A great and extremely interesting thread, I think I'm going to start buying Discover magazine.

Well presented too

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaegernaut
I'm currently an undergrad in psychology and from what I've heard, it's common knowledge that schizophrenia has a biological and environmental cause. I believe twin studies were used to clarify the causes of schizophrenia.

The treatment is tricky though. There's not really a cure for it, you kind of just give them meds to bring them back to a logical level and then try to coach them on how to deal with the symptoms.

Also @the guy saying you can cure schizophrenia by understanding consciousness
Reallllyy? That's not happening lol. Try understanding consciousness when you see bleeding faces and voices telling you to kill yourself.

I am the only person in the world offering a cure for SZ. In fact I am the only person in the world offering a theory as to the nature of what SZ is. (The cause being another matter.)

It is no laughing matter. Yet your post reveals how little you know and
how you have already been educated beyond your intelligence.
Furthermore you failed to investigate fully what I have said and the
sources I have provided which are by many considered to be the
greatest knowledge ever given to Man.

I know of several people who have been cured by the Knowledge that
I have provided including myself.

As to your comment, "Try understanding consciousness when you see bleeding faces....." I would agree with you not all SZs can be reached
at all times. However I believe a large percentage of them have much
milder symptoms and are capable of reading two books, which even you
cant do. The question is do they want to be cured?

Sorry if I have been a bit harsh.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
I have MS, and I can assure you there is no relations what so ever between the causes of Schizophrenia and MS. MS is not directly related to location and childhood illness's. MS is an autoimmune disorder, which replicates killer T cells which attack your healthy immune system.

A doctor at UC Irvine has found that Scorpion stings and SEa Anemone
venom cures the symptoms of MS in lab animals that have a type of it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Don't Ask For The Truth, If You Can't Handle The Truth.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Squirt1
Don't Ask For The Truth, If You Can't Handle The Truth.

I hope this is directed to me, since I did inquire about your faith and your background. Oh I assure you I can handle the truth if you speak God's truth and not your own. Perhaps, you will surprise me.

I do not wish to argue with you I simply want to know what qualifies you to bring judgment against the mentally ill.

Pax

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
well, either that, or how about considering that they may REALLY be hearing voices.

telepathy in other words. it's thought some aliens communicate by telepathy. and the cia probbaly also has the technology.

has anyone considered the possibility that either aliens or the cia or both could be f***cking with people or experimenting on them, or just communicating or talking to them for kicks.

my grandfather was 'schizophrenic'. had electro shock therapy and his family tended to ignore him cuz he was 'crazy'. he always seemed perfectly sane to me.

when he was institutionalised once he did a sculpture/candle holder out of pottery. after he died i took another look at it. it's clearly a ufo. he's even painted on the little portholes. and i can assure you that my grandfather didn't have the slightest interest in ufo literature; id be surprised if he knew what one was.

so i have decided he wasn't nuts; i never believed he was anyway; he was just having contact with aliens who were communicating with him. and it freaked him out, as it would.

it irritates me how everyone treated him. i reckon there was nothing wrong with him really. that there was an external cause and explanation for his 'symptoms'.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

There are still a lot of things that i'm learning about this disorder (and many others.) However, to judge my intelligence based on one post is very ignorant. Also you're not the only person offering a theory as to the nature of schizophrenia (although that is not really a fantastic claim either.) I'm not turning this into a knowledge contest but I have read far far more than two books... I don't know your education level but I would assume I would know a fair bit more than you ( considering I'm receiving schooling for psychology.) I am not dismissing your claims, but it's important to be critical.

There are many different kinds of schizophrenia in which only a few can be cured. I believe residual schizophrenia goes away (on it's own sometimes), paranoid schizophrenia can be cured and there are also a few others. But I think we can both agree that the most serious kinds of schizophrenia (although they are all pretty serious, I am talking about cases in which the patients perceive both auditory and visual hallucinations) cannot be completely cured.

But when you say that people have been cured by your knowledge it sort of writes you off in my books. It makes me question if the people you're "curing" even have schizophrenia to begin with. No offense to you, I have just seen schizophrenic patients and it would be silly to believe they can be cured through understanding a few concepts.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by xynephadyn

But the reason why your immune cells are attacking your nervous system is because your nervous system is housing infectious agents. Indeed many doctors believe that auto-immune disorders are triggered by infections.

Take it one step further and you might consider that the infection is still present. Cell wall deficient bacteria may cause a lot of this, including chronic Lyme disease and MS, which have very similar symptoms. Maybe schizophrenia is related. These bacteria are very small and can hide inside other cells!

Here is a protocol based on the infectious disease hypothesis that has helped some MS sufferers. (This site has an amazing amount of info on this topic by the way.)
www.cpnhelp.org...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
I have MS, and I can assure you there is no relations what so ever between the causes of Schizophrenia and MS. MS is not directly related to location and childhood illness's. MS is an autoimmune disorder, which replicates killer T cells which attack your healthy immune system. I believe, the cause of MS is a hiccup in genetics due to High trauma and stress. Almost everybody diagnosed My age range (20-30) I know that has MS has had a significantly stressful childhood/or adulthood. We MS sufferers who are diagnosed in their 20's, I was diagnosed at 25, are the exception to the rule. Most MS patients are diagnosed in thier 40's. I believe MS can be caused differently for different people in different age ranges.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by xynephadyn]

Hi there
I have MS too. Diagnosed at 30. SPinal lesions showed up 1yr before brain lesions.

Normal, happy, 2 parent, childhood and I can't think of anything in adulthood that was too devastating.

I had mono and scarlett fever in the same yr. Never had any type of herpes. My aunt and along with my great aunt both have MS.
A mother and grandmother have systemic lupus. Autoimmune problems galore.

So I think I inherited a dormant MS gene and the mono or scarlett fever activated it. (infections)

Anyway, very nice to meet you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join