It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The times, they are a-changing -- The stressful days on ATS.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I just would like to share my love for truth, knowledge, and wisdom.

Truth is their are alot of knowledgeable people out here in this 3D world we live in. "so to speak" but are they wise?

We shall prevail against confusion and illusion.

Steady is the word of the day for me, Thank You.

Ones' Love for humanity and spirituality, not so much the duality but, just conscious beings evolving more to production, not destruction.

Love you guys, All, Here at ATS, Bless.

rehab

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I know I've been poking around other Alt-News sites to take a brake from all the immigration fighting...

All political/immigration/racial topics should be moved over to Belowtopsecret.com
and fought out there.

I would like to see more "Above Top Secret" and even recycled stuff, less left/right issues...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

with due respect

the times are not a changin

violence, strife, idiocy, catastrophe

these have all plagued mankind since civilization began.

Human beings have just never before lived in an era where it's constantly forced down our throats by 24 hour media, on the radio, on the internet

literally everywhere we go.

It's all the same crap. We're just more aware.

It sort of pays homage to the ol' saying "ignorance is bliss"

if you ask me

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here is another couple of "thank you's" to add to the pile! We love this site, and the fact that there is room for peaceful, passionate debate.

Hopefully, as we debate together, wonder together, and conclude together, we all grow in our communication and analytical skills.

Growing in the ability to stay steady in these changing times is truly the thing that will certainly serve us all the most.

Thanks for creating this site, and more than that, leading it in a sane direction in a seemingly insane world.

A healthy dose of cool....
What I love most about our ATS.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The only thing that bothers me is the worldwide illogical hatred of Jews.

That can only mean one thing, the next Hitler is waiting in the wings for a repeat.

North Korea blows a ship out of the water and not a peep be heard.
Israel defends itself and the world comes apart.

I'm afraid all hell is going to break loose sooner than we think.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by genomega
The only thing that bothers me is the worldwide illogical hatred of Jews.

That's all that bothers you?

I would have thought there were other things to worry about - things that are also bothersome.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Wise words S.O.

Don't really know what prompted this though, as I took a short break from here to take time out to smell the roses and coffee.
But it's always a good reminder just the same.
One I'll definately keep it in mind.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I agree with a few here that we may be just more aware
of the terrible things that happen in nature and that are
done by our species... the latter is unforgivable.

It just seems that when I was younger, I was promised
a great future with flying cars and houses on the moon.
The sixties and seventies heralded a new time of hope...

But the cars still run on gas, moon exploration is seen by
some as a joke and the buses are still late.

On the plus side, we can actually get to see the horrors
that men do unto men on 24-hour news channels and if
we look closely enough, we'll see that apart from having
a greater access to finding out some positive news, we can
also be bogged down with the more-mundane news, where
the TV people bellow to us that this is important and we should
sweat over it.
(Phew!)
That said, a party at Mr. Overlord's house may take the edge
of some of these concerns.
Pool-wear optional?

[edit on 3-6-2010 by A boy in a dress]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
after a long day, sometimes the trolls just get to you.

I know you and your staff do a good job and personally do not favor either side of any topic, and if you do, it certainly doesn't reflect in any sort of action applied to a member on this board. When I see a post moderated, it is always done so fairly. Whether it's putting out a fire or keeping one from happening.

edit: to add, I always send a quick apology note to a mod if I screw up. I absolutely become too passionate about my views at times and can be just way too insulting while making my point (to the extent where sometimes there isn't even a point!). I am thankful someone outside my own thinking can remind me that intelligent, eloquent, and articulate debate is most certainly not found in calling someone an ass

Personally, I think they could make a great deal of these threads whose sources aren't credible (blogs who cite blogs mainly) labeled as a hoax unless proven otherwise by the OP. I also think this should be mentioned before making a thread in the political madness/breaking news forum

it could save me a bit of grief when the next "OBAMA TO BE TRIED FOR TREASON" thread happens as well as save me from arguing with the geniuses who star and flag it without checking the source or looking to see if anyone else did.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by piddles]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Thank you for this thread, and for all the insightful replies it has brought out. It's timely indeed.

Just a couple of days ago, and for the first time ever, I found myself cursing aloud at the TV in fury and in tears while watching the news from the Middle East. Hard on its heels news back home of the gunman's killing spree in Whitehaven, another indication of the pressure cooker society we've created. In my shock and anger I advised myself to stay away from the keyboard. Venting (self) Righteous Anger would not help any of those victims.

Though I'm a new member I've seen an upsurge of sabre rattling and angry rants by those who need to find someone (else) to blame for the terrible state of our societies, to bear the responsibilty and carry our collective guilt. Displacement.

There are also many who are desperately wishing and hoping for outide intervention to come and save us from ourselves - ET / Messiah - or to see an end to it all with the nihilistic Doomsday scenarios.

“We must become the change we want to see.” Mahatma Gandhi

Some of the replies here have really struck a chord. The emotional investment we have in our points of view, the tendancy to see different viewpoints as personal attacks, the emotional transference we apply to world events which really stems from our own feelings about ourselves. I can only hope these thoughts stay uppermost in my mind as we move forward.

I found real cause for optimism here too.

semperfortis made an excellent post concerning "This too shall pass".

Which thought led me to listen again to George Harrison

Now the darkness only stays the night-time
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
It's not always going to be this grey

All things must pass
All things must pass away

Or, from the lovely old folk song "Banks Of The Sweet Primroses"

Come all young men who go a-sailing
Pray pay attention to what I say
For there's many a dark and a cloudy morning
Turns out to be a sunshiny day

So yes, steadiness and hope can see us through.

[edit on 3/6/10 by Crazy Man Michael]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Great post.

If you think these are stressful times on ATS, you should see it out here in the "real world" where I have been traveling for weeks now, it is everywhere.

Things aren't getting better ANYWHERE that I have been, stress hardly expresses the painful and hopeless reality that many wake up to and live through daily out here.

Everyone seems to sense that we are entering an endless downward spiral.

The economy is worsening, states are running out of money, deficit spending seems to be the norm both at the federal and state government levels, it is a matter of time before painful cuts are made.

The average Joe and Jane out here are losing their way of life, their jobs and hope for their children's future.

It is time for a mass awakening, it is time for people to do more than vent... Everyone must get involved and it needs to happen everywhere NOW!

ATS can play a role in bringing about real awakening and change, but must also motivate people away from despair and hopelessness and show them that collectively we can make this a better world.

Let your voices be heard, call loudly to everyone, get involved and make a difference.

Your anger, frustration and worries can be productive. Make it happen!

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well said S.O.

This is, indeed, the age of honesty. There is so much technology, and healthy wells of info - most noteably ATS - that nothing can be glossed over anymore. Nothing can be hidden. Crimes can not be disguised.

We live in a world where people are literate and intellegent. We can no longer be spoonfed hores pucky. We can form our own oppinions. Unfortunatly that means that the wool is coming off our eyes and we are really seeing the truth.

People are doubting their beliefs, their neighbors, and their government. That is not an easy transisitioin. We feel guilty, used, violated, and victimized. Rightly so! We feel helpless, because we have no idea how to make things right. Everyone's version of what is right is different, but we are passionate people and we are scared. So, arguments are going to erupt and they are going to be violent. Finding understanding is becoming so difficult.

Steady indeed, but watch your back and stay safe.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just tell your moderators to enforce the forum rules equitably and consistently and the problems with angry posters will go away.

If you want to take a look at some of the open racism that is now being allowed to flow freely across these boards, just take a look at the "Irish Ship Runs Israeli Blockade" thread, where genocide of the Israeli people is being openly discussed.

If I was to suggest that we should exterminate black people, would you allow such a comment to stand - no, of course not, and rightly so.

Forget about starting threads where you ask people to calm down - deal with them directly. Your weakness in dealing with problem posters is the source of your problems.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
People need to think clearly and not pay heed to any news coverage that reports things as black and white where one side is the enemy.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
To the members of ATS, and our readers, I have one word of advice; "steady."

These days, a casual glance at the topics displayed on our recent posts page provides a compelling snapshot of the intensely troubling times in which we find ourselves. For those of us who keep track of world and political events (of which I assume are we all who frequent ATS), it can often seem as though the world is falling apart before our eyes.

While there will be many who experienced similar times in the past telling us our contemporary issues aren't as bad as events once where... that was then, and this is now.

The reflexive tendencies to lay blame on religions, ideologies, politics, ethnicities, and socioeconomic groups other than our own for the multitude of problems can, and will, be overwhelming for many of us. Indeed, we're seeing a sudden rise in contact emails and complaints that we (ATS ownership) are favoring liberals, conservatives, Palestinians, IDL, and just about an equal distribution of every other "side" of the myriad issues discussed here.

This is only natural. People will lay blame on ideologies because ideologies are mostly what have created modern politics as we know it. They have created the cultural divide. People like to pick and choose whatever ideologies they follow, and, they mindlessly debate amongst themselves in the many facets that ideology entails. As for religion, religion does deserve some blame. It's not the religion itself. It's the people who control the religion and push various agendas- and get people to believe certain things, while ignoring the other good parts of their religion that would teach more tolerance. You can blame the Church for that. Of course people will blame politics, because, politicians are largely in control of a lot of decisions on the domestic front. They may not be able to change the rewards system with how everything is controlled by lobbyists, but at the very least, they can decide what kinds of issues get talked about, or, get worked on, so they deserve some blame too. People have blamed ethnicities for problems since the beginning of time. People have hated on the poor since the beginning of time, and likewise, people also have hated the rich for various reasons as well from the beginning of time.

It's also natural for people to favor liberals or conservatives. Those are the two main ideologies at this time that are the most powerful. People will go to them because they agree with them. Then, they will become a liberal, or a conservative. Of course people will be pro-Palestine right now- because of the Israel raid on the Flotilla. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with this.

Over the past several months (if not years), our humble little conspiracy theory discussion board has evolved from an interesting place were a few thousand people read about some rather interesting speculation and research, to the "Go-To" resource where millions of people come to learn more about the highly troubling issues of contemporary times. Sometimes there is a conspiratorial slant. Other times there is a provocative issue that "feels" like a conspiracy. But with increasing frequency, we're seeing more and more people simply doing their best to try and understand the influences contributing to these worrisome days.

Many times, those people will express a point of view that others find disagreeable.

Sometimes, such people will even challenge our sensibilities with rhetoric that borders on hateful.

And occasionally, the hateful rhetoric becomes intolerable.

Such is the "baggage" associated with the nature of the world events vying for our limited attention.

Now, more than ever, people need to vent.

Now, more than ever, we need to accept that venting (within the ATS T&C) as an opportunity to understand how others are effected by the stress and turmoil of these days.

Here, especially now, our goal should not be to use ATS as our own personal soap box, but as a means to find understanding, or at the very-least as a path to learn how others are affected differently by the turmoil in the world.

People are angry. People are scared. People are confused. People are seeking answers.

Anger may not be quelled. Fear may not be alleviated. Confusion may not be solved. Answers may not be found. But seeking to understand the cause of these feelings in others is a major step. It's what mature and civilized people do. The new breed of ATS members and users are capable of understanding. It's what "deny ignorance" means.

Steady. Steady, my friends.

I guess what you're worried about is the fear that everyone has over the modern world. Once you wake up, and, you start to see the world as it really is, as many of these people are- it's hard not to be emotional about it. It's hard not to tell how you really feel about the issues. There is no doubt that people should think first before they say something without basis, like, blame Obama for the oil spill and say that he's using it as for his hidden agenda- with no proof. I just think people need to express their emotions on these things.

We can't let these people have their way and I used to think that a lot of people were just fear mongering here, that, they just were crazed conspiracy theorists, but, they really want to make a difference with the world, and, I think you're just concerned about an increasing growing number of people who are trying to make a difference, that they might become too emotional and that it might eat away their life. I understand that... people need to take a breath of fresh air every once in a while.

But, I think that people should be able to vent their emotions out- if they have proof of what they say. I think part of what makes this website different from others is because the members have their own unique perspective, and, they should say what it is that is on their mind- without hesitation. I guess I just disagree with you on this, and, I don't think you can help but be alarmed by what is going on.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am wordless.....that rarely happens.

The serenity prayer is all I got.

But thanks SO.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Agreed.
And to be in accordance with the T&C this will serve as my second line.
Cool heads will prevail.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well said SO. Though also wise words for when times are good.. In time the problems of today will pass into history.. Just hope that people learn from the experience and grow from it.. The path of learning and truth is never easy the journey lasts a lifetime.. But along the way its also up to us to make the world a better place rather than let it be destroyed by a few.. we all can make the world better ...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Anger may not be quelled. Fear may not be alleviated. Confusion may not be solved. Answers may not be found. But seeking to understand the cause of these feelings in others is a major step. It's what mature and civilized people do. The new breed of ATS members and users are capable of understanding. It's what "deny ignorance" means.

Unquelled anger= Resentment
Unalleviated fear= Revolt
Unsolved confusion= Perpetual intellectual denial
understanding unrequited feelings in others=useless (without perspective of the modicum de precipitate)
Pontificating to the masses=priceless
But I still dig the fibe Bill

[edit to add:] Sucking up to the site owner=worth full measured amounts of nothing plus the bonus of access to special "thumbs up" emoticons that only "SO" and minions can see. Steady is, as the medium lasts.
Zep out

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Zeptepi]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Flagged!
Excellent thread

Love the new Avatar SO, WOW
kinda poignant

Everything that you said is so true
Of course it is human nature, but it's more instinctive than it is human nature, and that's where stepping back and being steady becomes so important.

Great Thread,,, as always!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join