It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The times, they are a-changing -- The stressful days on ATS.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

When it comes to the owner of BP, illogical tea baggers(lol), Glenn Beck, the president of Iran, and Kim Jong Ill...how can you not post something hateful? Those individuals are all scum!

Hate breeds more hate, we are all searching, some have come farther then others along the path, all need understanding and compassionate hearts to guide them, none of us have all the answers. It is a mature individually that will listen and accept wise council, for we all fall short.

Absolute truth is illusive.

[edit on 023030p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

Quite right!! We all need to look toward the things that unite us.Then we can work upon the things that divide us. Imagine all the people in the world focused upon one common goal,what could stand against us? WE are all one!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Actually i am proud of many ats users especially about the latest stressful events.
For example, I am living very close to the hot spot where most of the last threads are about, and seeing many people can criticise rationally and sane, i (not only as personal i, but i, as a belonging to a specific culture) don't feel myself alone. One more important thing is that those critics are not hate-speech at all, but objective and healthy critics.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by deccal]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Originally, I hadn't even read this thread.
I recently logged in, checked my mail and, on the basis of it, read the thread.
I have to be a little choosier with the threads I read now, not like it was when I first joined. There are a lot more threads now, more members too. More information to wade through, sometimes feels like too much.

Quoting from the OP
"Over the past several months (if not years), our humble little conspiracy theory discussion board has evolved from an interesting place were a few thousand people read about some rather interesting speculation and research, to the "Go-To" resource where millions of people come to learn more about the highly troubling issues of contemporary times. "

Oftentimes my opinion differs greatly from that of Uncle Bill, such is our prerogative, but I must agree with the point he illustrates here. It is a simple fact that this place has gotten busier, and I think it could also be logically argued that there is alot more of the type of activity reported upon around here, happening in the world, these days.

"These days..." saying that alot these days!

In terms of the objective of this exercise, I can only second the philosophy of ATS and suggest we be a board of little Fonzie's...
...and what's Fonzie like?
Fonzie's cool.

Doesn't mean you can't board, can't act, just means be cool about it....

Best Thoughts,

[edit on 2-6-2010 by briantaylor]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I had to sit back and say to myself steady Simon, steady, when it came to the flotilla/Israel thread. I honestly didn't believe I could respond or post in that thread without violating at least one of the T&C's or making myself angry. So, I chose to be a reader instead. I was talking to my fiance last night about the very things we are discussing lately here at ATS, and told her that the state of the world could indeed get very hairy if things don't change.

On a side note, it's nice to see the Overlord back in your avatar Bill. I couldn't help but notice that there are candles behind him and a single candle below as well as one in Semper's avatar with a sticker for WOS. Is it a coincidence or has something happened to WOS? I certainly hope not.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

Yes, that's exactly it. If you're mad, log off, have some fun on BTS but don't post mad. It will only escalate an already emotional topic. I have to do this myself.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This "new breed" of ATSers Skeptic overlord has talked about is the wrong direction, its dampening down. I live in the real world and become affected by it, are you saying that we all have to act like little conspiracy droids with NO emotion or passion from now on?

I'm sick of other people telling us all to behave, can we not just be! anymore?
I hate to burst your bubble but ATS is nothing more than entertainment. You people think you are really getting to the bottom of things? I wager there isn't a member that can offer an explaination to what happened on 9/11 that everyone can agree with...any takers????

I read the new and "improved" T&C and well quite frankly it doesn't matter what anyone else says, its a done deal. What ever happened to FREE WILL?

Its your board But! it works because of public interaction and sometimes when the public meets together to discuss contentious issues people get emotional/passionate/angry and even funny but now we all have to act like we live in China....

I couldn't agree less with your new direction, its going to make the boards BORING.....

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangleholder1
This "new breed" of ATSers Skeptic overlord has talked about is the wrong direction, its dampening down.

I can't see how you can draw that conclusion.

I live in the real world and become affected by it, are you saying that we all have to act like little conspiracy droids with NO emotion or passion from now on?

Absolutely not. The opening post clearly recognizes that we're seeing heightened passion on a much broader range of issues than has previously been typical on ATS.

I can't even imagine what a "conspiracy droid" might be.

I'm sick of other people telling us all to behave

Why? Is there something about civility that you find distasteful?

While passion toward important issues is something generally good, it becomes bad when that passion inspires disrespectful "shouting" such that the other "side" of an issue is ignored simply because they represent a side other than yours.

I wager there isn't a member that can offer an explaination to what happened on 9/11 that everyone can agree with...any takers????

Islamic extremists, under the direction of a former CIA asset, initiated a series of events that resulted in passenger aircraft demolishing an important commercial office building and damaging an important government building, resulting in several conspiracies related to the cover-up the government's inability to detect such attacks as well as cover-up the government's inappropriate response to the attacks. Various degrees of speculation remain on what, if any, involvement government "insiders" may have played in the actual attacks.

What ever happened to FREE WILL?

What would lead you to believe anything happened to it?

but now we all have to act like we live in China....

No such directive has been stated, implied, or otherwise hinted.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I know in recent years I've felt like someone who is watching a terrible train wreck happening right before my eyes and I can't seem to do anything about it. I know so many here feel the same way and I am grateful for a forum like this to be able to speak out and give my opinions about what is going on today. I am continually amazed at the accuracy of so many who contribute here and marvel to the fact that many times we here at ATS seem to learn about the happenings around the world before the news broadcasts seem to be able to talk about them. Keep up the good work everyone and my thanks to those who watch over us here and take the time to moderate our debates.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Well I guess that's me told lol!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by strangleholder1
I wager there isn't a member that can offer an explaination to what happened on 9/11 that everyone can agree with...any takers????

Islamic extremists, under the direction of a former CIA asset, initiated a series of events that resulted in passenger aircraft demolishing an important commercial office building and damaging an important government building, resulting in several conspiracies related to the cover-up the government's inability to detect such attacks as well as cover-up the government's inappropriate response to the attacks. Various degrees of speculation remain on what, if any, involvement government "insiders" may have played in the actual attacks.

You're spot-on in the rest of your post, but I think strangleholder1 won that point.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Hmmm, I'll buy that.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am a new member on ATS but I have been reading the posts for a long, long time before joining. I have found this site to be very informative and it does a great job of sorting out all of many events in our world and topics. It can be sometimes over whelming to sort it all out on your own but I have found that reading the varied opinions to be comforting and enlightenting.

It does seem that some people are vicious, but hey I bump into people like that at the grocery store. I think we are lucky to have a place to bring up the topics that you cant talk about at work, or get the answers to questions you just cant go around asking....Hurray for ATS!!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Firstly, well done for conveying the keep calm message, you are spot on with your timing and delivery. It is often easier said than done.

Can I however, just add a little something to this mix? That physical contact with Mother Earth has the most calming and (obviously) grounding effect.

Seriously... go outside, take your shoes off, and TOUCH the actual planet on which we live. When do most people EVER touch the Earth? Think about it. Most people live on wooden floorboards covered with nylon carpets, then they walk in their rubber soled shoes to their rubber wheeled cars and drive to work in their high rise buildings.

So, get back in touch with the Planet you live on. It's an old shaman trick to calm crazy minds.

but secondly, am I missing something here or are you joking, when you say that,

"Islamic extremists, under the direction of a former CIA asset, initiated a series of events that resulted in passenger aircraft demolishing an important commercial office building and damaging an important government building, resulting in several conspiracies related to the cover-up the government's inability to detect such attacks as well as cover-up the government's inappropriate response to the attacks. Various degrees of speculation remain on what, if any, involvement government "insiders" may have played in the actual attacks."

So, no mention of the Mossad involvement?

No mention, that many within the Bush administration there were countless Israeli nationals?

No mention, that the Bush's and Bin Laden's are STILL very active business buddies?

I could go on but it's getting late.

Please tell me you are joking..Right?

Good night people. keep calm. Big love. x x x

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here, especially now, our goal should not be to use ATS as our own personal soap box, but as a means to find understanding, or at the very-least as a path to learn how others are affected differently by the turmoil in the world.

People are angry. People are scared. People are confused. People are seeking answers.

Anger may not be quelled. Fear may not be alleviated. Confusion may not be solved. Answers may not be found. But seeking to understand the cause of these feelings in others is a major step. It's what mature and civilized people do. The new breed of ATS members and users are capable of understanding. It's what "deny ignorance" means.

Steady. Steady, my friends.

I would like to express several things, should ANY CARE about ANYTHING I have to say.

Being here for sometime, I have seen two things that standout.

One, we do have a collective, so to speak, of very insightful and opinionate individuals which express themselves in a Civil and Respectful manner. These contributors to this site are the reason ATS has become what it has.

In some cases, disagreement occurs, which in this day and age, is quite expected. One's personal view's and opinions are a valid as those I may harbour. This is one of the measures that seperate us from Animals.

We have free will to decide things as we see fit.

But again, the contributors tend to maintian some level of respect. Touchy issues are difficult to deal with, and subjects such as Palestine and the manner inwhich Judah has dealt with their Arab Cousins, is a one that certainly flames at one's passions.

I have views, many do find difficult to deal with. That is fine, that we disagree. That's life.

With this said. I am pleased that one day, a few years ago, I googled something, and found someone expressing their views on the Subject I was researching. The insights, and followup resourses and materials exchanged to support the views our contributors have is what sets this place apart from ALL OTHERS. This has what has kept me here, and I do look forward to more years of discussions, debate, and discourse, with the best collective of minds the Web has to offer.

Sadly, as with all good things, we do have some that just do not get it. This leads to my second thing I would like to express.

I do believe, we must make efforts to "Educate" our members of the intent of ATS.

It (to me anyhow) is a place to come and express views and discuss these views with others who may or maynot agree on the subject. In most cases, I express views not many seemingly agree with, but that IS ANOTHER TOPIC. I expect disagreeable individuals and confrontation most times.

But ignorance, and disrespect to others should not be tolerated at anytime. Again, this is what seperates us from the Animals.

We have free will to decide things as we see fit.

We should ensure this is directed to understand we are all individuals, as noted above, and all have our own views and opinions on many things and subjects.

My Views and Opinions are just as important to me, as Your Views and Opinions are to You. Remember this always, because it is through these Views and Opinions that THOUGHT and LEARNING can occur.

And I think, it is this that is the most important measure ATS can be rated/ranked on. The ability to have varied thoughts and premises put forth for any and all to consider and discuss.

Again, thanks to all of those who have taken the time to discuss or debate varied topics with me, and offering the materials to review and consider. NONE of us, except my dear friend Harte
(Sorry my Friend) knows everything. I make it a point of learning "something new" everyday, and it is within ATS I have found that Information Source.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

Yes, that's exactly it. If you're mad, log off, have some fun on BTS but don't post mad. It will only escalate an already emotional topic. I have to do this myself.

Completely disagree. Anger is nothing to fear, some people can thrive on it to make a more salient point or argument. I think this also makes for more lively debate. The world can be a seething and putrid pile of festering garbage but that is no reason to stay quiet. There are thousands of BTS like sites around but for those who want to escape reality. For those that want the real deal, ATS stands tall.

brill

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I thought this post was so well thought out and beautifully stated with an economy of emotion that it cause me to do something that I do not normally do, that is, register for this site so I could post a reply. As a father of five and an actor I am used to uncertainty and I believe all ages and cultures have faced the same literal destruction that could be facing us now. The Native Americans must have thought it was the end of the world when the European settlers pushed them out. Empires rise and fall all throughout history. The difference is that today that destruction seems to be taking on a global scale making it seem as if there is no 'safe' place to go. But, as this post reminds us all, the safest places are always in the spaces between people of goodwill doing what they can to make things better. It may be simplistic but that does not mean it is easy.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think by the end of the summer all of these posters who accuse ats of "bias" will have gotten bored and moved on.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thank you, Bill. I'm so glad you posted this message. It's much needed here.
I've been coming here about 4 or 5 years now, and I love this site.
This is my favorite website, hands down.

I must admit, however, that lately I haven't posted much, and I come here and glance at the recent topics, and I just kind of shudder and go somewhere else. The last good post I had was advocating non-violence and being politically engaged, and I was surprised at some of the posts.
Honestly, it was kind of crazy.....

I myself can easily see both sides of the Palestinian / Israeli conflict, and my hope is that eventually everyone will grow tired of the suffering that any violence inflicts. "There are 3 sides to every story; Your side, My side, and the Truth..."

In all honesty, I have felt that ATS has been undergoing an assault from conservatives...it feels as if the party has been crashed a lot of the time.
Not that I want any point of view to be supressed or not be heard.
I enjoy the diversity of the community. But the rhetoric has become vile and hate-filled. I see a lot of ugly racism rearing it's head these days in a lot of places, not just here. It's a sad trend, but it seems when times get tough, and people get stressed, they seek out a scapegoat.

Steady indeed Skeptic Overlord...steady. Good words, good advice.

Everybody take a frickin' chill pill. Perhaps you can find a way to actually be grateful and happy that you're alive at all.......

[edit on 2-6-2010 by moonzoo7]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Indeed, we're seeing a sudden rise in contact emails and complaints that we (ATS ownership) are favoring liberals, conservatives, Palestinians, IDL, and just about an equal distribution of every other "side" of the myriad issues discussed here.

This itself proves that ATS has true global reach and is a confluence of all opinions in all forms.
This is a sure sign of success that any discussion board strives to achieve.

It also serves as the best way to unit people with different ideologies such that wars can fought on threads, with words and not on lands with weapons..

It is a means to dialog, appreciation of different perspectives and a true chance to achieve consensus.

There are large masses of people in every part of this world, every country, every race and every religion, that are blinded by the narrow view (of the world) that their surroundings offer and this is no fault of their own. This ignorance fuels hatred, contempt and eventually to things much worse.
ATS is one of the easily accessible places that has found its way into these masses and has brought them together, face to face, so that they can understand each other through discussion.

I don't mean to belittle the conspiracy theme of this site but I believe that it has truly evolved beyond that area into a melting pot for geopolitics, race relations, global perspectives.

I feel an area that ATS (moderators?) can work on from the solid platform built over the last decade is to guide all threads and discussions into solution/consensus driven goals while continuing to maintain a civil atmosphere. The 'extremists' must arrive at a middle path, and a social media culture of tolerance, consensus and compromise must be developed.
The ATS-ers can then promote this culture amongst their circles outside ATS and the internet even.

Deny Ignorance and Deny Indifference!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, I gotta hand it to ya S.O. - I didn't think anything would ever compel me to ever reset my ignores, as I take pride in only adding people to it in the most egregious circumstances.

But you made me realize that I could simply be at a point where after close to 8 years of it, either I'm just getting to old for it (hyeah right), or I'm just getting tired of all the pettiness we're capable of, as the emotional beings we certainly are and will always be at our cores.

I must tell you, I came close to deleting myself several times recently as I feel the 100th monkey may truly be a myth after all (we aren't monkeys), but you've given me a second wind, as I didn't think anyone else was noticing what I've been noticing more and more lately.

It is certainly time to recenter ourselves, as I believe what may be coming is most likely more and more digits on the steamer's temperature meter, or perhaps "pressure-cooker's pressure gauge" would be more analogous? And as the pressure rises, I see polarization in every topic becoming far more acute.

Indeed, I find myself venting at just about every opportunity now, doing my absolute best to keep my dignity and integrity intact, if for no other reason than sanity's sake. Hell, I even find myself venting vicariously through topics I feel might not warrant as much concern, simply to distract myself from the more impacting topics.

I for one, pledge to recenter, reset or reboot more to try and get back to some semblance of a default idle before clicking and reading in subjects I hold so close to my sleeve. I haven't read this entire thread, as it's truly gigantic (yet again man), but I do wonder how many others feel the same way, and will most likely be reading into the night. :/

Last time I went through this (and it IS a repetitious kind of thing we all go through, I know), I simply stopped coming here and stopped posting anything at all for a good long stretch. I simply separated myself from everything meaningful in efforts to fully distract myself. However, I feel this re-centering strategy might hold some hidden possibility and perhaps even function more advantageously than the former tactic...as I don't see myself being capable of seeing no torment, tribulation or trial any longer, and I see staying in the fight and not allowing myself to give up, a far more dignified thing to do...but don't hold me to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join