It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Watch 2010

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Hurricane Watch thread for 2010

2010 Hurricane Predictions

Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, Tropical Depressions, or Tropical Waves can be reported in this thread. Significant or particularly destructive storms can of course also be reported as individual threads.

Previous Watch Threads

Hurricane Watch 2008

National Hurricane Center Website

Current Tropical Cyclone Activity

Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Activity
Eastern Pacific Tropical Cyclone Activity

Current Satellite Images

GOES-East/West Hurricane Sectors
Latest Satellite Imagery

Gulf of Mexico

Loop
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

Stationary
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

Atlantic

Loop
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

Stationary
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

East Coast U.S.

Loop
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

Stationary
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

East Pacific

Loop
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

Stationary
* Visible
* IR
* Water Vapor

Preparedness, Safety, & Resources

HurricaneSoftware.com | Track a Hurricane on your PC and Phone (Free)
Printable .pdf Tracking Chart
Hurricane Preparedness Week 2010
Hurricane Safety Brochures

Video Description: Hurricane Preparedness video describing supplies and safety.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Great idea! S&F. Should see if they can sticky it for the season so it doesn't get lost. Going to be an interesting couple of months me'thinks!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'll start the first one, being that the Gulf is filled with Oil this may make for a very interesting Hurricane Season. Agatha already devastated Guatemala and took 115 lives so it's not starting out so great.

I'll start the thread off with this one, but want to give credit where credit is due:

From this thread by tellmemoreok: Tropical Storm headed for Gulf Of Mexico?

Updated!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Great Idea for a thread, should be the place to be for the 2010 season, look forward to it, here's another great site by the way for tracking...

www.stormpulse.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
SSTs in the Caribbean have been capable of sustaining a TC since May. Last time that was the case -- at least immediately around us -- was in 2004.

Right now, I'm watching the invest to the west of the Cayman Islands. Models are initialized and tracking somewhat northward of Cuba, although the convection center of circulation has jogged down more toward the Cayman Islands in the past four hours. yep. I stay up on the internet all night when something is in our arena.

I saw something earlier that I haven't seen in quite a while: convergent winds -- low level clouds moving from the west to the north, and also low level clouds moving from the east to the north. What does it mean? I don't know if it means anything, other than a "wandering" wind which is sure to tick off my wind generator. Last time I observed this was 2006, although I hasten to add that it could've easily have happened many times since without me seeing it.

Hello, I'm Argentus, junior weather weenie. I'm really hoping that no 'canes or TCs work their way into the GOM before the oil is cleaned up, although I can't imagine any way that oil mitigation will happen so quickly, even with the 'international response' heralded by President Obama.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

That's the remenants of Agatha that is now Invest 91. It's taken a heck of a jog southeast in the past few hours. I'd rather get it here -- in any form -- than for it to go the the Gulf. We'll hope for that.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Crown Weather Services is what My County's EMA uses as its one stop shop for all the tropical weather info you can want.

www.crownweather.com...

I don't know if you have seen that site but its a Hurricane Chasers Dream.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Although I wouldn't wish it on anyone, it'd do great to just stay over open water and go fizzle out somewhere

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I just added a really neat free software based hurricane tracker in the OP under the resources section

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I hope you are right I live on the MS gulf coast and I rode out Katrina at my county's EOC and it was bad. I am on the List for avtivation and the ESF 9 Coordinator so if a storm threatens I will have the info before the Media does and so will ATS!

If we get a TS while there is still oil in the GOM, the MS and LA marshes are done. New Orleans will be a coastal city by 2012.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
I just added a really neat free software based hurricane tracker in the OP under the resources section

Screen Shot:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
According the the PDF from NOAA, the oil will have little effect on the Hurricane season...

Hurricanes & Oil Factsheet

It's an interesting read...

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

We're a wee pair of islands, mostly rock. All the excess water rolls off the edge. I usually hope for us to get it, rather than the big island -- Grand Cayman -- which is largely swamp/mangrove and no elevation.

I don't want to have to rebuild stuff again as we did after Hurricane Paloma kicked our butts in Nov. of '08, but I'd rather that (no loss of life here) than the Gulf get it. For what it's worth, some of the wx pundits that I respect are calling for the invest to fizzle in the midst of the profound windshear ahead of it. We'll hope for that. Please. CIMSS shows a propensity toward 30 kt. windshear for the next three days. Link to CIMSS windshear

edit fer spellin'

[edit on 1/6/10 by argentus]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Thanks for what you do. I would do the same here if we had any cohesive organization. here, SAR means trying to call your friends and relatives on a cell phone.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I like Crownweather. They've stayed current many times in the past while others were *cough* sleeping. Wunderground does a good job too, with their staff wx mets. Lots of info on CIMSS.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Yeah I have dealt with my fair share of rebuilding. After Tropical Storm Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne in 2004 I worked for a Non-Profit 501c3 organization called Rebuild Polk After Disaster. It was a MyFlorida.com Hurricane Mitigation program for low income home owners in Polk County. I was a Case Manager which involved a whole scope of duties. I saw my fair share of devastation. I was on the FEMA Disaster Recovery team for Polk County. Low-level mind you, none the less, if it happens again I wouldn't hesitate.

It's the unrepairable damage that got to me the most, personal possessions can be replaced. It's the memories of living through Hurricanes that are hard to replace.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Whew!

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 AM EDT WED JUN 2 2010

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

1. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DIMINISHED IN THE NORTHWESTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA. THERE IS A LOW CHANCE...NEAR 0 PERCENT...OF THIS
SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS.

$$
FORECASTER BEVEN/CANGIALOSI
NNNN

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Figured I would add this thread here as well:

Unique Computer Model to Predict Hurricanes Unveiled

A lot of good info their

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Really? I thought it would be the other way round!

mclinking

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Very nice thread, tons of great info to check out. S&F
I live in south eastern NC. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join