It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EEEK WATCH OUT! The spider goats are here.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Who came up with this crazy idea!

Some kooky mad scientist found a way to make goats that produce spider silk in their milk.

Scientists breed goats that produce spider silk

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ada4359ee1e9.jpg[/atsimg]

(PhysOrg.com) -- Researchers from the University of Wyoming have developed a way to incorporate spiders' silk-spinning genes into goats, allowing the researchers to harvest the silk protein from the goats’ milk for a variety of applications. For instance, due to its strength and elasticity, spider silk fiber could have several medical uses, such as for making artificial ligaments and tendons, for eye sutures, and for jaw repair. The silk could also have applications in bulletproof vests and improved car airbags.

Normally, getting enough spider silk for these applications requires large numbers of spiders. However, spiders tend to be territorial, so when the researchers tried to set up spider farms, the spiders killed each other.

To solve this problem, Randy Lewis, a professor of molecular biology at the University of Wyoming, and other researchers decided to put the spiders’ dragline silk gene into goats in such a way that the goats would only make the protein in their milk. Like any other genetic factor, only a certain percentage of the goats end up with the gene. For instance, of seven goat kids born in February 2010, three have tested positive for having the silk protein gene. When these transgenic goats have kids and start lactating, the researchers will collect the milk and purify the spider silk protein into “much, much higher quantities,” Lewis said.

Other than their ability to produce the spider silk protein, the goats do not seem to have any other differences in health, appearance, or behavior compared to goats without the gene, the researchers said.

Read more: Physorg.com

Yeah, riiiight sure pal.

Like I'm gonna believe you when you say the goats are perfectly normal.

Just before it climbs up the wall, drops down on me and sucks out all my juices!

You just keep those creepy goats on YOUR farm fella.

[edit on 6/1/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
My wife works in research at a university in NC, can't say the name but it rhymes with Duke,...anyway, this is true and been around for about 4+ years now.

Another geat cross is lightening bugs and mice... the flourecense DNA in lightening bugs has been crossed with naked(hairless) mice DNA. The result is a mouse that glows under black light to highlight the medical treatments/research and its effect on the mouse.

I still joke with her about the 8 legged spider goats dropping out of trees... we have goats on our farm, and the mental image of an 8 legged goat is crazy.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Those are definitely the freakiest of all goats. What happens if they get into the wild I wonder. Decades from now we will all begin hearing about Spider-goat the superhero goat

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is old, but good news. Spider Silk must be really hard to artificially create, but this could have many uses.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

In other news

Normally, getting enough spider silk for these applications requires large numbers of spiders.

NO S*#T LOL.

However, spiders tend to be territorial, so when the researchers tried to set up spider farms, the spiders killed each other.

"The spiders killed each other." Oh man. Some nerve the author of this article has.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

I heard that if you drink the milk, you will sweat your own clothing...

I understand the need for the material, but, if they can make eyes out of every other body parts of flies, couldn't they just make the spider "silk pouch" of the spiders be immensely immense?!? Wouldn't it have been easier than produce a goat that secretes the silk in its milk?

With the spider mutation, you get the silk right there, no need for other chemicals to separate and blah blah. Even better, I'm sure they could grow the pouch without the spider and electro-whateversbestly make it release silk until empty. Gross, but unreproducible in nature...
After all, we can grow veins, tissue, cartilage, etc.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Another goat is mutilated. They look everywhere. Except at the other goat.

It's el chupacabra!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
lol wut?

I see the applications but it just seems hilarious!! xD

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Goats are easier to farm than spiders, and it's much easier to get people to milk goats than spiders. Spiders don't have a "silk pouch", they have glands that secrete the proteins which are ducted into spinnarettes that form the threads we're used to. Considering how much simpler it is to get milk from goats than it is to get silk from spiders, even if we could make spiders that make 1000% more silk, getting it from goats would still be cheaper. There's infrastructure, and a couple of chemical steps are cheap, especially if they're done with enzymes.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

What the heck!

You people knew about the spider goats but didn't tell anyone?

How come I'm only hearing about this in the news now?
How can they be sure that adding one spider trait to the goats didn't give them more of their attributes? Maybe they had 8 eyes before too.

Were they hiding the spider goats away from us until they could find a safe way to quench their thirst for human blood?

[edit on 6/4/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Wow, this is really old news

There was even a thing about it on Discovery channel about 4-5 years ago.

It is interesting the things they can do, but you never know what might come out of this.

Raist

[edit on 6/4/10 by Raist]

new topics

top topics

join