It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you care about our future, please read this! My simple plan to change the world!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is an idea I've been playing around with in my head for sometime now, And have finally decided now is the best time to start this.

First I would like to give you an idea of why I want to do this.
My father was always an astronomy buff. He would always drag my brothers and I out to watch meteor showers, or look at the planets through our telescope. I have to say, looking at saturn through a telescope is one of the most awe inspiring things to see. So back to the point. Having watched the heavens for many hours on end in my life, I can say without a doubt that it left a huge impact on me. To sum it up, it made me realize, the universe is so much larger and mysterious than we know. It showed me that we still have a long ways to go as a species. It made me realize, that while many humans are very vocal about their opinions, the Universe is there, it is what it is, and it is that, without our human labels. It made me realize that no one person on this planet has this whole conundrum called life figured out perfectly. And most importantly, It left me with the unshakable impression that it is HIGHLY improbable that we are alone, and that there is something out there, which greatly dwarfs our primitive understanding of reality.

This impression has stayed with me since I was a child. It filled me with hope, that no matter how bad things are here on earth, there is a whole universe out there just beckoning and waiting for us. It showed me that our destiny is to travel the cosmos, and forever expand our ways of thinking. And most importantly it gave me a respectable place in the universe. I am a conscious being. I am part of a very great process. I, along with everyone else are not infallible. We have the chance to become great beings, and to become one with the universe. The universe wants us to become active members and participate in its unfolding. It has provided us with a home for BILLIONS of year, so that we could make it to this point TODAY, and "god" willing, to tomorrow and beyond. The universe has given us EVERY SINGLE GODDAMN thing we need. It has given us the means to become whatever we can imagine. And yet, it is still a choice, resting soly upon US. Will we let go of our past grievances and look towards the future? I certainly Hope so!

The Plan
I would like to start a movement of sorts. One week of every year should be a star watching week. Pledge to spend ATLEAST one hour during this week with family and friends just watching the stars and pondering the implications that come to your mind.
I think the best time to do this would be during the perseid meteor shower.

Perseids wiki- The Perseids is the name of a prolific meteor shower associated with the comet Swift-Tuttle. The Perseids are so-called because the point they appear to come from, called the radiant, lies in the constellation Perseus... the Perseid meteor shower has been observed for about 2000 years, with the earliest information on this meteor shower coming from the Far East.[2] Some Catholics refer to the Perseids as the "tears of St. Lawrence", since August 10 is the date of that saint's martyrdom... The shower is visible from mid-July each year, with the peak in activity being between August 9 and 14, depending on the particular location of the stream. During the peak, the rate of meteors reaches 60 or more per hour. They can be seen all across the sky, but because of the path of Swift-Tuttle's orbit, Perseids are primarily visible in the northern hemisphere.
(I have had the best luck on august 11-12th, ive been watching this show since before I can remember.)

So from august 9-14 should be the official week of watching the stars on ATS and hopefully more social networks. This leaves us about 2 months to start planning this and spreading the word. This idea needs to be propagated through social networking sites, such as facebook, not just conspiracy oriented sites, and of course, through word of mouth. I would like help with this from anyone who believes in this cause.

The Goal?: Hopefully people will experience the same thing I did. The stars are the reason I search for the truth. To help raise the general level on consciousness and awareness of our species. Hopefully, people will begin to start focusing less on the crap down here on earth, and realize, THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS WATCHING US! WE BETTER START ACTING ACCORDINGLY.

And with that, I want to leave you with this short movie and 2 quotes from one of the greatest comedians of all time, and one of the most unique thinkers I have ever seen.

Bill Hicks (stare into those eyes for a minute)

Bill hicks-
about pointless political debates "I’m gonna clear the air for you tonight. I’m gonna end this debate, hopefully once and for all while on this planet, ’cause outer space awaits our presence, we are better and more unique creatures than this and all of eternity is our playground"

"let's go, man, the ******* UFOs are waiting in the 5th dimension!... let's go!!!"

If you believe in this cause, and would like to help me, please send me a U2U or respond so accordingly in this thread. We may not solve all of the worlds problems, but we may help many people come to a better understanding about life!

And we could explore space, both inner and outter, in peace, forever...

[edit on 6/1/2010 by VonDoomen]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Doing something like this could increase people's awareness on space travel, and possibly make it happen. Don't give up on this!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

imagine that you are floating high above the earth in deep space looking out on the universe floating free in space uplifted and filled with awe silently watching the movements of the stars

[edit on 1-6-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

f

Huh?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Those images are breath-taking! So beautiful. One cannot help but to ponder the potential of mankind and what he may find someday. How can anyone look out into the vast universe and think we are alone?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
yea I had that dream to for 20 years I dreamed .But sooner or later we all wake up.
even if you could give every country on earth its very own planet to live on in less then 20 years there would be a war on thous planets.
no matter how we think the few we are the rest still just go day to day finding reasions to hate and kill and untill you can take that out of humans I PRAY we stay stuck on this planet . because if we get out there now we will just take our hate with us . and thous photos wont be so prutty then

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

That is my point exactly, I couldnt of said it better myself!

That's what Ive always thought! You'd be a numbskull to think "this is it" right here on earth.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Thanks for the video! that was pretty interesting. It reminds me a lot of the transcendental meditation tracks that timothy leary put out. If youve never heard, I would recommend a visit to isohunt!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Thanks for the words of optimism! I truly believe this could have a very beneficial effect on our species! If you would like to help me with this let me know! Sometimes Its hard to get the attention of ATS even with a good thread.

Share this thread with any friends you have on here, that will be one of the more beneficial things you could do!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by Night Star

That is my point exactly, I couldnt of said it better myself!

That's what Ive always thought! You'd be a numbskull to think "this is it" right here on earth.

Hi all - Great thread and a great idea. But I have to say that although I too am an astronomy fan and have spent a while 'looking' into space I am not sure what to think about whether or not we are 'alone'.

So for me, personally, yes, 'this is it' right here on Earth. I'm pretty confident that in my lifetime there will be no opportunities to experience space flight and that I'm destined to do my best right here at my home so I don't really care if there is anything else out there. I try to be polite to others and do the best that I can in whatever I do. In my life, I have experienced absolutely nothing and have seen nothing to convince me that there is anything else like you all speak of. I would welcome such an experience and may someday change my mind. I am religious ( I know that I risk many flames by saying this) and I look forward to something in the future though I don't know just what that may be.

peace everyone

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I would agree. I wouldnt want our species to have access to the stars. And thats why I started this thread. Im hoping people will start to turn their attention more to the heavens! And maybe then, people will start to wake up. Its what did it for me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

I may be a lot younger than you, so I may have a more optimistic view on this subject. I believe, and it is a huge goal of mine, to visit outter space once before I die, and that it will be possible.

and don't worry, no ones gonna flame you for being religious. Im right there with you.

I may not follow any religions, but I certainly do believe that theres something big out there, just waiting patiently for us!

Give the thread a flag if you believe in the idea! We need to get this on the front page!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
S&F

I'll help as best I can. It is a worthy goal. People don't look up enough anyhow. We are not only hardwired, but also encouraged, to look at the ground and shuffle our feet.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Great idea, watching the heavens even through binoculars for those not fortunate enough to have a telescope is a great way to bond with the family. Its one thing I try to do at least once a week just spend a little time gazing at the stars and see what I can see. Sometimes, its just nice to wake up in the early morning say around 5:00 or so if you can, just to watch the stars for that short time, then suddenly its like a symphony, right before the sun comes up, at least where I live, starting with the tree frogs, then the Chuck wills-widows and Nighthawks, then the cardinals, and so on. That combined with the stars is an experience that everyone should have at least once. Love your idea and I will plan to do so.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Great idea . Interesting thread along with beautiful pics nice to see a thread on a more positive note here..

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Hey friend,

Those are some astonishingly beautiful photos. When I visit friends in relatively unpopulated areas of the country, I frequently sleep outside just to watch the stars. The most amazing skies I've ever seen was when we were driving to the tip of Baja Mexico to see the 1991 solar eclipse.

What are the chances that we're the only "intelligent life" (and I use that term loosely) in the universe? I'd say virtually zero. To think otherwise is the height of human arrogance and hubris. Frank Drake's current mathematical figures (the "Drake Equation") estimates 10,000 civilizations in the Milky Way alone. But I wouldn't count on government disclosure any time soon. Governments lie about EVERYTHING and I think knowledge of extra-terrestrial civilizations is likely one of their biggest secrets.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
It made me realize that no one person on this planet has this whole conundrum called life figured out perfectly.? Lol

Anyways if you were in the southwestern USA, and looking at the Zenith and ESE between 11:51-53, You would have seen a sweet solo meteor (or ufo not that I just remember it didn't have a tail, or did it?) anyways it was a fireball color. Was hoping someone had a sky camera(location E Phoenix , Arizona)

Zenith to ENE 10 degree(beyond?) look like \ facing north. between 11:51-53 MST, to east like a slash. If you were looking, you wouldn't have miss it, Mag -2(maybe -4)

So far two skycam skipped the time frame, no luck so far. Lasted about up to 3-7+ seconds)

Ok estimated it took about 50-55 seconds to see the clock, was 11:53, so do the math and you'll get estimate time it appear

[edit on 2-6-2010 by TheUltimateEnd]

[edit on 2-6-2010 by TheUltimateEnd]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Nice idea,

Like you I've been around telescopes all my life through my Dad, I've kept this family tradition up and frequently take my six year old daughter out when I set up my scope and explore the galaxy, it's a great way to educate children in the wonders of the milky way galaxy and indeed the universe, I believe knowledge of all that is around us is beneficial to any human and can open ones eyes to vastness of space and our place in it, I also believe our symbiotic relationship with the universe is one which we can learn from and one day explore as well as use it's resources to better ourselves as a race.

I'll help spread the word of your movement for a star watching week if I can, Facebook is a good idea to get things started, it reaches many people and can only help spread the word and get people looking up!

S&F

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Yes a telescope can be fun to look at our planets, however I get the real effect just from looking at the sky with my own eyes. Like I told my friend in ATS chat, all of my skywatching is probably the reason why im a truth seeker and a member of ATS. It left a long lasting impression on me!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Im glad we're thinking along the same lines!

I honestly believe this would be a very easy way to starting making people think outside their own little box.
I will make a facebook group soon enough.

Hopefully plenty of ATS members arent TOO paranoid to make a link between ATS and Facebook

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join