It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbors Who Keep Curtains Closed Reported as Terror Suspects in UK

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Neighbors Who Keep Curtains Closed Reported as Terror Suspects in UK

www.dailymail.co.uk

A schoolboy ‘obsessed’ with drawing pictures of bombs and guns, and a neighbour who liked to keep his curtains drawn, are among dozens of people being reported to a police scheme aimed to unearth potential terrorists.
Critics of the Channel Project say it encourages people to spy on their neighbours, but police claim the scheme’s aim is to prevent ‘vulnerable people’ becoming radicalised.
Dozens of people in East Lancashire, mainly aged between 15 and 24, have been reported to police for having either extremist Islamic views, far-right leanings and or being IRA sympathisers.
Polic
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This reminds me of when our government actually looked into citizens w/ Ron Paul bumper stickers as possible domestic terrorists.

Yes... Witnessing someone involved w/ future plans of attacks, or talking about future attacks SHOULD be reported. BUT if someone has a certain political view, or wants complete privacy, that doesn't mean they're a terrorists.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Police complete background checks on all individuals reported before a panel meets to decide if any action needs to be taken.

Interventions can range from a simple chat, to a complex mentoring and counselling process.

Some cases include:
A school pupil who is obsessed with drawing bombs and guns;

A bus passenger expressing racist views;

New neighbours behaving oddly, including keeping their curtains drawn; and

A vulnerable loner who suddenly received visitors to his home at irregular times.
The information has not prompted any criminal investigations, with tip-offs coming from people in public sector jobs, including teachers, social workers and bin men.
But now police are urging the wider community to report their concerns to the hotline.

The pilot schemes set up in Blackburn and Burnley are two of 28 launched last November after concerns that many neighbours in Leeds had suspicions about the 7/7 London bombers but did not report anything to police.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Wow, I would be hauled off for sure. We not only have a mirror tint on our windows but some stuff called “blackout” as well and the blinds over that so that people inside do not see the stuff.

Put it this way you are not seeing inside my house unless I invite you in.

Screw any government want citizens to keep their blinds open so people can see inside. If I want sunlight I go outside for that, I do not go inside for it.

Raist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeySEEmonkeyDO

Well reporting neighbors who keep their curtains closed would involve millions of people here in Texas. We do it just to keep the interiors cooler, especially when temperatures range from 80-110 degrees at certain times of the year, and depending upon the location within the state.

So hoping that tradition stays within the UK. Seems like a similiar reason would exist in the UK on some days, but since I have not been there, I really don't know for sure.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

That sounds like a wonderful place to live. A place where they take
your guns, force mooselumism on people, and have neighbors ratting
on their neighbor for having their blinds drawn. They will soon have to
put a note on their door listing what they are eating for dinner to make
sure they are eating correctly and healthy. How many times a week do
you wash a load of clothes and how much soap do you use?
What a lovely place to be proud of.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by endtimer]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, I guess I am a terror suspect. I open my curtains most of the time on nice summer days, but sometime I just keep them closed. Maybe I don’t want my neighbours to watch me scratch my butt while whiling around my house. It is there house, that’s invasion of privacy.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I Agree. I don't want to see what you do in your house so why would I want you to see in my house.

As to the article they (the governments) have been becoming evermore paranoid about "domestic terrorists" or honest people who aren't sheeple.

Not saying that all suspects are honest, but saying its becoming more apparent they want to throw a net over anyone who they deem suspicious.

SM

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyMarshall

You might want to see what I am doing inside

I am somewhat anti-social though in the way that I do not go out of my way to associate with my neighbors. If I see them out and happen to maybe get near them, I might strike up conversation. Normally though I prefer to do my thing while they do theirs.

Raist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
They'd LOVE me- I have foil over the windows to try to reflect as much sun and heat back out, AND blankets over that. This place heats up something awful in the summer....

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer

That sounds like a wonderful place to live. A place where they take
your guns, force mooselumism on people, and have neighbors ratting
on their neighbor for having their blinds drawn. They will soon have to
put a note on their door listing what they are eating for dinner to make
sure they are eating correctly and healthy. How many times a week do
you wash a load of clothes and how much soap do you use?
What a lovely place to be proud of.

It's not that bad. I love England, it has its problems but so do all other places throughout the world. People have such a warped view on life in the UK.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
1984, and welcome to the Big Brother world. Never mind that the UK has the biggest CCTV network in the world, but now they need their citizens to spy on each other. Brilliant.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There is a special terrorist hotline set up for this sort of thing.

I even reported myself as a terrorist for keeping my curtains closed.

The link is on this thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Me too except for the foil.

Ihave a dark house in the Summer so that i dont roast. So sue me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This reminds me of the old film 'invasion of the body snatchers'. If you don't conform to 'normal' society you will be assimilated!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers
There is a special terrorist hotline set up for this sort of thing.

I even reported myself as a terrorist for keeping my curtains closed.

The link is on this thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

HAHAHA brilliant!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by panzerpundit

It's harldy like 1984. North Korea maybe but the UK....seriously?

So we have lots of CCTV in public places, why should that bother you?

As for neighbours spying on each other, well if you lived in the town I used to when I was younger, you couldn't fart without the whole street knowing about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Same here.

Luckily, I have only one neighbor, for now, so its easy to keep to myself.

SM

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat
If you did that here in my area people would think you had a grow op. The nanny state is really ridiculous. I bet the rich and influential are never bothered, just the ''commoners''

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

This is a prime example of what paranoia will do to
a society. Now every fearful snoop will imagine a
terrorist behind every tree,bush,nook and cranny.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join