It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Significance of a Haircut.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I can relate, however for me the issue is my beard. I've had one for about the last fifteen years, except for the one time I decided to shave it.

I grew it out originally because I hate to shave. After having it about seven years, I decided to go into real estate and thought I should try the cleaner cut look, although I keep by beard pretty tidy anyway.

So I go to it and come out smooth. I felt more "presentable," but could not for the life of me shake this naked feeling. I literally fealt nude......seriously! Anyhow, sales job or not, there was no way I was going back, and havn't since.

I guess I would call my beard my security blanket, and there's nothing like only having to shave once a week around the bottom at my neck.

I can also relate to getting a little close with the clippers. My beard is just long enough so that a guard on my trimmer is too short, so I basically have to shape it slowly without the guard. It's fine unless I'm in a hurry trying to rush and sure enough....... OOPS.....OH NOOO! So I have to do a little comb over for a few weeks to try and cover up the thin spot. My wife always comes running into the bathroom asking what all the cussing is about, and then walks away giggling.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by Tunatarian]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think the best part about haircuts is that life goes on. You might think people will make a big deal over it, but after a couple days, everyone gets used to it. That is the case for me. I'm too busy focusing on homework.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I noticed a long time ago that I would only cut my hair during the unstable parts of my life. When my first fiance and I broke up years ago I had hair down to my behind and cut it up to my shoulders when we split.

I kept it that length up until I met the man that became my husband. We had rough patches and that is when I would cut my hair. Now we are married, have a son, and a daughter on the way I haven't thought about cutting my hair in months haha. It's down to almost the middle of my back now. ^_^.

I guess cutting my hair in times of strife was a way to cast off the old me and kind of "start fresh." In high school my hair was always so long and people loved it, I got compliments on it all the time.

Short hair me is usually almost radically different from the long haired me.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma

Short hair me is usually almost radically different from the long haired me.

You bring up a great point. Personality changes based on hair length and style. For sure.

When I had my long hair, I would hide behind it and such.

But now that it's shorter, I find myself standing taller and more confident, and showing my face. It's more professional and I like it.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I wanted to bring up another point. I am really wondering if any of you feel the same way about this one:

Ever since I got my haircut, I have not worn my favorite beanie which I usually wear when I leave the house to go anywhere. This has brought me mixed emotions. The fact that I go hatless, and confident with it.

...but it makes me want to ask people to take their hats off indoors. If I can do it, then so can they. That is how I have been feeling.

Does this make sense to anyone? I know people wear hats when they are having a bad hair day/etc. but when I am hatless, It's like I expect everyone else to be too.

Does this hold true to anyone else?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is psychosomatic or not but I used to hit the gym a fair bit a couple of years ago and I noticed that the longer my hair the more weight I could push. Again I don't know if it was all in my head. But I have less strenth with shorter hair. Maybe the story of Samson has some truth to it. Who can tell.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Dont they say that old energy is caught up in hair? and when a life changing event is about to happen or just happened people will change their hair style?

I have had dreads for 10yrs and I have thought about cutting them for like 3, but i just cant bring myself to go bald or super short.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Oh I hear ya! My hair has always been long (It was my leo mane) and the other day I chopped it 2" above my shoulders!! I freaked out afterwards although it was cute because its a form of feminine security for most of us. I do miss my longer hair but now that I can't "hide" behind my hair I feel like I am more exposed to the world and that my friend is what one little pair of scissors can do.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip...i need to take an haircut too...and it is tomorrow..
let's see what happens

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hair cuts to me mean a lot more than they do with normal people. I've noticed like others do that when I'm going through a heavy trauma I might cut my hair. And I've also noticed that it is liberating to go shaved. But on the other hand there is something challenging about living with the past energy trapped in my long hair. I like the challenge. I like the thought of keeping my past nearby, in the form of hair, rather than dwelling on memories. My Mom is a hairdresser too although nowadays she can't cut for # because of lack of practice and mild alcoholism, but I still respect the trade.

I remember when I was a kid wanting to have a mullet with the top moussed and maybe a rat tail at the very back or just a normal mullet. Then eventually I got in trouble for something (don't remember what) and my Mom's evil boyfriend at the time gave me a horrendous mushroom cut. Mushroom cuts were in style at the time, and I got a compliment on it from the teacher at school, but it was not the cool moussed mullet that I wanted. I felt shame getting that punishment haircut.

After that I generally kept my hair buzzed as far as the clippers with no guard would go. People said it was a serious look and that I was the type of person who fit the haircut well because of my down to business nature. I even shaved it one time with a razor.

Whenever I'd grow my hair out enough I'd start hating on it after three months or so and be back for another shave. In grade ten though my friends started demanding that I grow my hair out so I obliged. At the time I had NO idea how to properly care for hair that was beyond a few centimeters in length. So I just kept growing my hair. It turned into kind of a big puffy wavy afro. It looked terrible but at that point my personal hygiene and concern for my overall well-being was at an all-time low. I discovered that the puffiness of my hair would ease off a little bit if I showered less frequently so I let my hair become really greasy. Eventually it became pretty long. Then this crazy goth chick started hitting on me. Since no other chicks had any interest in me at the time I went out with her.

Later after getting really annoyed with my hair I started putting it in a ponytail. My girlfriend at the time liked to iron it or weigh it down with all these nasty chemical hair products and I thought her behaviour was a bit too controlling for my tastes. I couldn't resist having my vanity fed so I let her control what went into my hair. I had a couple trims and eventually my hair was down to my back. I had gotten rid of all the split ends and started wearing it in one thick braid which I thought was really cool. Some people by this time were calling for me to get a haircut just for the novelty value.

Seeing as how my relationship with my then girlfriend was really crappy due to her being a liar and far too shallow and immature for my tastes I had her and her Mom cut it down to bald. I thought if I changed my look so radically that maybe she'd dump me, which I hoped for. It didn't work and instead I was stuck looking like a cracked out white street criminal.

A few years of having short hair later I realized that for me personally, having long hair was liberating, helped me get in touch with my feminine side, and went along with my naturally rebellious attitude. So ever since I've been growing it again and right now it's a little past my shoulders. Keep in mind my hair is a bit curly so it takes a long time to actually look long. When it gets halfway down my back I plan to start putting it in one thick braid again.

Oh yeah and as an aside, right now I don't use conditioner and only use dandruff shampoo because I have to. If I ever want my hair to be really controlled I'll apply olive oil to it. In my experience adding all this crap to your hair and brushing it a lot only contributes to split ends and overall crappy hair. It provides diminishing returns to put stuff into your hair that makes it look nicer, only for your hair to look crappier as time goes on from the hair products.

So to me, hair is important to my emotional being and greatly affects my sense of self. It also feeds my vanity although only if I consciously focus on it. If I do go balding in my later years I'll definitely be happy shaving it instead of trying to comb it over as I always like that look too. I just won't start shaving my head again until nature decides that it's time.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I wish I never cut my hair!
My beautiful brown locks are gone. I cut a chinese bob and had to straighten it every day...

It's now just past my shoulders and I intend to NEVER cut my hair EVER again. The most I will do is trim it. For now- I am waiting for two years for my hair to get back down to my waist again.

But if I look at the up side- I got it out of my system. At least I wont have the urge to cut my hair short when I'm in my late 20's.... because I could see that being a disaster. I tried to see this hair cut as a fresh start...letting go, and continuing to grow and be a genuine person.

Since I cut my hair, I have not colored it and I no longer straighten it either.

What a lesson!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
I'm not sure if this is psychosomatic or not but I used to hit the gym a fair bit a couple of years ago and I noticed that the longer my hair the more weight I could push. Again I don't know if it was all in my head. But I have less strenth with shorter hair. Maybe the story of Samson has some truth to it. Who can tell.

Maybe that's why Metalheads are so buff

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Merle8

I enjoyed reading your post. It was funny, made me laugh and I think it's good that you elaborate and tell your story in detail. I used to do that- but then people told me I talk too much, and that I go too much into detail when I explain things..so, I stopped doing it. Well, I try anyway....

But I still liked your story,.... I like detail

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Yup

I used to have long hair, (im a girl) and people would act intimidated, and downright cold. When I cut my hair short, people were quick to open up and smile at me for once. For some reason, people like short hair on me.

As for horror, stories? Yes. I live in FL where you can't just go to to any salon or your local mall, because the hair salons, are so used to cutting hair for seniors that when a young adult walks in and wants something trendy....LOL...you'll wind up with a hairstyle for old ladys. I walked out with a mushroom haircut, that was teased into a bouffant.....I felt like a 60 year old...all I needed was bright blue eye shadow, long red clikity nails and a southern accent. Instead of shopping I went straight home to wash all the hairspray out of it.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by mishmallow8]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'm 24 now, and decided to get a haircut for my birthday 2 years ago. Even though everyone tells me I look better with the haircut, I miss it from time to time. Also, I think it fits my personality better and the way I think. I've been growing my hair four years prior to cutting it at a time in my life I lived pratically like a hermit.

I suffer from social-anxiety disorder, and feel like the hair gave me comfort. Since I've had cut my hair, I feel more exposed and nervous. Additionally, I feel like my hair went along with wisdom. I've had a nightmare about it before I had came to the conclusion to cut it, and I woke up very uncomfortable. Now more
out-going and all, I still feel like my hair was a big part of my personality.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by theblasterkid

yes, when I had longer hair, I also saw my hair as a friend and security blanket. There is much significance within hair and how one chooses to wear it. People will treat you differently based on your hair. True fact.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Absolutely, I shaved my hair off myself for the 3rd time now. I hated the fact that long hair gets attention and rather than stab a looker to death, I thought it might be better if I just shave my head.

It has grown a little since but I will never have my hair long ever again.

I really hated it when people would come up and touch my hair and say, ooh what lovely hair. It is great, people don't do that anymore. They are actually a little unsure of me now. That's good.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Yes. I agree. It's most likely because people have their own individual perferences, and they want you to look accordingly to them.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
dont cut it.

dreadlock it.

that's the hair style that changed my life,
and i never have to pay the hairdressers

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join