It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Significance of a Haircut.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I used to shave my head whenever I suffered some set back in life, like having a girlfriend dump me or something. It was kind of like a catharsis and I felt like a new man after I shaved my head. It marked a new chapter in my life. A haircut can do wonders for a man's disposition.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Thats harsh! Its bad enough when a hairdresser makes a hash of your hair - finding a good one can take years. Some are very scissor happy.

Well Im not going to give up cutting my own - there are some good video's on you-tube on how to cut hair and I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to even begin cutting ( A sharp pair of scissors also help ). Also as you mentioned - take your time, come back to it a little later you cannot rush these things!

Thankyou for a light-hearted thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by panzerpundit
I felt like a new man after I shaved my head. It marked a new chapter in my life.

It's so true. No matter what people might say about hair and its insignificance, bet you if you think back to past significant moments in your life, you will remember what your hair looked like at the time. Know what I mean?

But yes, when i get a haircut, it is usually right when I am about to enter a new phase in my life. If I am moving, or if school is about to start up again, I usually get a haircut. If I need to attend a wedding or something, I will get a haircut a week prior. Stuff like that.

Cool that you feel you enter a new phase of your life after a haircut too. Because that is how I feel.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I used to be able to sit on my hair. One day last fall I had enough of it and cut it off to my shoulders. Everyone was in shock and did not know what to say. A couple months ago I cut it again. I keep wanting to cut it shorter. I can't believe the binge I am on. I just have to keep it long enough to put it up because I hate it in my face when I'm busy.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The moment I took a bic razor to my head 7 or so years ago and then decided to repeat the process every few days was the moment the sun came out and shone forever on my great big shiny bonce.

Unfortunately my wife does not like to run her hands over its awesome velvety awesomeness but she does to run her fingers over the fuzz after I have left if a couple of days.

Also I have found that exercise is great in that when I perspire heavily that I no longer feel like I have just spread-eagled an oily dog on my head as the perspiration just runs off perfectly and does not distract me from repeated trance-state attempts to burst a muscle group or three.

Once you go bald you never go back – No wait – Once you go bald the world laughs at first and then forgets that you are bald.

So, dare you step into my world OP?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

So, dare you step into my world OP?

Ehhhhhhhhh. Not quite yet. But, do I see myself in an older age as a bald badass. I think at that point I will grow a huge beard. Maybe. What do you think?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

Wow, that is long - must have taken you years to grow?

I think thats the stage Im at now, itching to go much shorter but Im feeling my ego, well, whats left of it is holding me back. I will do it when Im good and ready.

Bet you felt a LOT lighter, huh
Surprising how heavy hair can be!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Beards go well with a polished look and I tried the beard look but once my daughter told me that I looked like a "Starey eyed jihadist" (her words) I realized I was onto a loser.

I think it could work well on others but my eyes sink about a foot into my head so the look is not good on me. Shame really as when I have a beard it comes with two white stripes to either side of the chin - bummer.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I have a mullet. And a mohawk.

Actually, I don't have a head.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67

Unfortunately my wife does not like to run her hands over its awesome velvety awesomeness but she does to run her fingers over the fuzz after I have left if a couple of days.

Really! I love that feeling too after a couple of days, when I was a kid my uncle always had a crew cut, I cried when he first said stroke it, thought it looked sharp and so would feel sharp......but, it's like stroking a mole ( Weird I know but true ) Yes I stroked a mole - it was dead in the road and the man I call my dad stopped the car and picked it up so we could see, it was intact, not squished so I stroked it.

Just thought I would share that

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

Haha, thanks for sharing that.

I have actually wondered what a mole felt like to touch but the closest I have come to a mole is a smelly one in a field and I was not touching something that was actually moving around while dead.

Moving swiftly on in my humble opinion that dark hairy look you have going on in your avatar is a pretty good one that suites the symmetry of your face. I might have to report you to the hairy police if you decided to have it cut short – just playing my part for hair

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

It was hard to sleep at night. I got trapped by my hair. I did feel lighter and younger when I cut it. Hair grows about half an inch a month. My hair was about 36 inches long. It must have taken a little more than six years to grow that long.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I've always though about going bald. Already I like to keep on top of keeping my hair short. I have no idea how I'd look though. Hmmm, maybe someday I'll try it out.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Couldnt not share, its good for a laugh and its true!

Im taking a trip to the hairdresser's this week, already have a fringe since my avatar pic and who knows...I may go for the bald look just for the enLIGHTENMENT!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Judohawk

[Whisper] Come over to the dark side luke [/whisper]

Its a slight drawback in windy weather (brrrr) and made worse that beanie hats ride up until I end up looking like a cone head but it makes my wife laugh so apart from that, I love it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm a long-haired dude... Not super-long... maybe about 17-18 inches if I hold the yardstick to my scalp and stretch out some strands... I had a banker cut about 4 years back, but just let it all grow out again.

A lot of people assume I'm a lot younger than I really am... told a college girl that I was 40 and she said "wow, you just seem like a 25 year old who really has his # together," which I guess is a compliment (considering how much I didn't really have my # together 15 years ago...)

I'll probably cut it again at some point... I'm not opposed to short hair, just used to dealing with it long. If a friend were donating their hair to Locks of Love, or a similar cause, I wouldn't even be opposed to shaving it all off in solidarity. For now, it just grows, and I don't really think about it... (I used to joke that I only had the organizational skills to either get a carwash or a haircut once per year... some years went by getting neither...)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

I understand what you mean about hair trapping you, Mine has a little way to go to reach my mid-back but as I sleep on my back it can kinda get stuck and I sometimes crick my neck when turning and tossing - so I understand what you are on about.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
I have a mullet. And a mohawk.
You play with the Leningrad Cowboys???

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I have really learned a lot from this thread, and it is just getting started.

There sure are a lot of different viewpoints about hair!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I go through periods of growing my hair long then getting it chopped off to my jawline every two years. My hair grows pretty fast, so it isn't too bad, but I'm never happy with it.

When the hairdresser layers it, I want to claw it out of my head after a few days. I need it cut straight across, which is what I've just had done. Somehow it just feels different, and since my recent cut I've had bags of energy. I got rid of about four inches this time, but I'm trying not to get it cut to bob length again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join