It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget the Da Vinci code! Experts find Michelangelo code hidden in the Sistine Chapel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Forget the Da Vinci code! Experts find Michelangelo code hidden in the Sistine Chapel

www.dailymail.co .uk

Michelangelo is recognised as one of the greatest painters and sculptors from the Italian Renaissance.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What is not so widely known is that he was an avid student of anatomy who once persuaded a Florentine prior to let him study the corpses in his church hospital. But he went on to destroy almost of all of his anatomical sketches and notes.

Now a pair of American experts in neuroanatomy believe Michelangelo DID leave some anatomical illustrations behind in one of his most famous works - the Sistine Chapel.

Wow this is amazing. Im honestly struggling tp add to this. The paintings? Whats the significance here? Where will this lead?

www.dailymail.co .uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-6-2010 by jazz10]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

But what does it all mean, Basil??

C'mon - don't be coy, share your thoughts --- where ya goin with this?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am sure that given time and a need for public attention I could find all sorts of crack pot images in art. People see what they want to see and then either (a) really believe it or, (b) see the potential of a book!

This is like seeing an image of Jesus on a slice of toast, or an elephant in a cloud. No one else sees it until you sketch it out.

Forgive my cynicism, but...

Regards

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

haha yea I agree. Due to our complex minds and imagination, us humans can make ourselves believe exactly what we want to believe. If you want to find demons in the clouds eventually you will see them.

I guess I see a brain but I also see what looks to be a vagina on the bottom, and a knee joint on the top....

Just like astrology/horoscopes, its all an illusion folks.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The 'anatomical illustrations' are not new news... I'm not sure why the Daily Mail is printing this, but then again they do fill up their pages with whatever they like.

Michelangelo was know to view the semi public autopsy's that while illegal at the time were carried out, sort of in the same way Professor Gunther von Hagens flaunted with the law and public opinion with his televised autopsies / dissections (which I found fascinating!).

Michelangelo had an interest in anatomy and that found it's way into his work - I'm not sure that he was passing on any real message, it's more like another dimension to his work. Who isn't interested in human anatomy? Even given our medical advances a lot of it is still a mystery or educated conjecture, the mind for instance - he was putting that into his work, hidden but in plain sight... After all the knowledge and inspiration was gained through illegal activities.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
so what if it's true? I don't see what's amazing or important about this.
Especially coming from Daily Mail...tenuous.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Already a thread here somewhere, seen the brain pic..

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I have a degree in art and have studied art history until I was sick.... hardest damn exams I ever had.... anyway, there is no secret code...just symbolism. Most all artist..great and not so great use it in colors, subject matter, and in composotion.

Michaelangelo, in the Sistine Chapel, uses the profile of a brain/coetex-spinal chord behind his image of God creating Adam...look closely at the billowing red cape or whatever it is behind the image of God...shaped just like the brain. The underlying message is that God and knowledge lie there...in the greatest machine ever created...the human mind/brain.

It's that simple.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
i think Michelangelo was teaching the world that the puffery of the church elites...and the church's reality & worldview was itself an illusion...

that behind the theological concepts... the Natural world of physics & physiology was the baseline/benchmark of humanity and not the spiritual realms concocted by the clergy corporation.

he expressed his humanist-paganist worldview right under the noses of the Papal superpower of the time...and they were/are still so wrapped up in their fantasy the expressionism still goes unnoticed or else labeled an anomaly

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Anyone also noticed the painting by raphael of the marriage of mary and joseph? Particularly her foot?

Her foot and her neck oh and also possible pregnancy? Marriage before or after?
Reptilian mary or is it simply a reworked painting hiding her true ethnicity?

top topics

join