It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd aircraft sighting with response from Edwards AFB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
my original message

just saw this right now from edwards afb site

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:59 PM
To: Edwards Public Inquiries
Subject: Feedback: odd airplane sighting

On Tuesday evening here in Rancho Cucamonga I looked up around 10pm and noticed what at first appeared to be a white light beam or something at first.

I realized it was a contrail back lit by the full moon. I could see where it had begun and where it appeared to be generated from.

However there was no visible lighting, it appeared to be flying at quite a high altitude and at considerable speed though I don't imagine quite supersonic as I didn't hear any sound. And it was making a direct line over the mountains behind me towards Edwards it seemed.

Very quickly the contrail was gone and it got me thinking so I looked up any possible explanations and I found a newspaper article announcing UAV tests that seem consistent with my observation.

Normally I would not expect any explanation considering what I thought I was seeing. However, since the testing is publicly mentioned on this site and other outlets I was wondering if this is perhaps what I was seeing.

Again I realize this might not be something Edwards cares to comment on but there's always the chance I guess.

Thanks anyway.

There response

Alex --

I'm not sure what it was you saw. Nearly all of the flying our aircraft do is in our restricted airspace. For a description of that go to www.edwards.af.mil... Our airspace isn't visible from your location.

The only way to know for sure who was flying where you saw someone flying at the time you saw them is to check with the FAA. Your best bet is to track down a good number for the Los Angeles Air Route Air Traffic Control Center. Try this person:

Kathryn Hughes, Air Traffic Manager
Los Angeles ARTCC
2555 East Ave. P
Palmdale, CA 93550

Good luck with your search.
//Dennis

Dennis G. Shoffner, 95 ABW/PA
Chief, Civic Outreach
305 E Popson Ave, Room 400
Edwards AFB, CA 93524

Their airspace

and what I think it was

95th Air Base Wing Public Affairs 5/29/2009 - EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- An Edwards RQ-4A UAS made an emergency landing just after midnight here May 28 on Rogers Dry Lake bed, adjacent to the airfield. The block 20 Global Hawk, AF-9, experienced flight control problems while on a local flight test sortie. Pilots performed a unique series of flight control maneuvers and managed to land the aircraft on the lakebed. The RQ-4A sustained damage to its right wing and main landing gear but pilots were able to maintain the UAS's structural integrity and spare its ISR mission systems. Edwards officials are assessing the damage and have appointed a board of officers to formally investigate the incident.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by circuitsports]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
What makes you think it was a Global Hawk? They are well out of testing and are operational. I would imagine it was most likely a non-disclosed, secret aircraft. BTW, I think they still have U2's at Edwards? Operating ANY aircraft without navigation lights and a beacon is illegal outside of restriced airspace or a MOA, even for the military.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
check the thread again I found some new interesting info from edwards own site

some more I tried to add

5/24/2010 - MONROVIA, Calif. -- AeroVironment, Inc. announced May 25 that the first aircraft developed under the Global Observerâ„¢ Joint Capability Technology Demonstration program has successfully completed key ground tests in preparation for flight testing.

A team comprised of personnel from the Department of Defense, NASA and AV, successfully performed ground vibration, structural and taxi tests at Edwards Air Force Base. AV developed and fabricated Aircraft 1 in its dedicated manufacturing facility located in Southern California and shipped it to Edwards in December 2009.

AV is developing the Global Observer unmanned aircraft system to be the first to provide robust, cost-effective and persistent communications and surveillance over any location. Six U.S. government agencies have provided more than $120 million in funding for the JCTD program.

"Global Observer is designed to perform above and beyond the capabilities of any other existing aircraft. The unique benefit of this truly unblinking eye will be its ability to watch, listen and relay communications signals flexibly, affordably and without interruption," said Tim Conver, AV's chairman and chief executive officer. "The need for affordable and seamless persistence is great, and we look forward to demonstrating this important capability during the final phase of the Global Observer JCTD program."

Each aircraft in a Global Observer system is designed to fly at an altitude of between 55,000 and 65,000 feet for 5 to 7 days. In addition to flying above weather and above other conventional airplanes, operation in this altitude range means that sensor payloads on the aircraft will be able to view a circular area on the surface of the earth up to 600 miles in diameter, equivalent to more than 280,000 square miles of coverage. Equipped with payloads that are readily available today, two Global Observer aircraft would alternate coverage over any location on the globe every 5 to 7 days, making this the first solution to provide customers with practical, seamless coverage, wherever and whenever required.

The joint Department of Defense, NASA and AV team based at Edwards completed aircraft weight and balance measurements and conducted a series of Ground Vibration and Structural Modes Interaction Tests in February. During March and April the team performed aircraft system tests to validate the aircraft hardware and software readiness, and to support ground and flight crew training in preparation for the initial flight series. Most recently, taxi tests were conducted to confirm autonomous propulsion, data link operation, steering and braking. A final Flight Readiness Review will be conducted to formally review and approve the initiation of flight testing. Initial flight testing will consist of low-altitude battery-powered flights at Edwards to evaluate the aircraft's airworthiness and handling qualities.

Communications relay and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance payloads are being prepared for installation into the aircraft. Once development flight tests have been completed, payloads will be installed and joint operational utility flight demonstrations will be performed at Edwards.

Global Observer is designed to address an urgent national security need for a persistent stratospheric platform and to offer a means to satisfy numerous high value civil and commercial applications. The system is intended to provide mission capabilities that include robust observation over areas with little or no existing coverage, persistent communications relay, the ability to relocate the system as required by theater commanders, dedicated communications support to other UAS and tactical on-station weather monitoring and data support.

Final assembly of Aircraft 2 is proceeding at the AV Global Observer manufacturing facility.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by circuitsports]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i to have heard some reportings of this and i researched into this but did not find much else. dead end?

top topics

join