It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animated Forecast: Oil spill 100 miles from Tampa by June 3; Heading toward Florida coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Animated Forecast: Oil spill 100 miles from Tampa by June 3; Heading toward Florida coast

www.youtube.com

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill trajectory hindcast/forecast based on RTOFS (Atlantic)

18:00 May 31 - 18:00 June 3

Drifter trajectories were calculated based on the hourly surface currents from the RTOFS (Atlantic) (data assimilative numerical ocean model hindcast & forecast).

Virtual particles were released from the sunken rig site every three hours, assuming continual oil spill from the well.

NOAA Real-time Ocean Forecasting System
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
An arm of the oil slick appears to have exited the Loop Current and is drifting eastward aided by onshore winds.

By June 3, oil is predicted to be 97 miles off the coast of Tampa Bay and Florida's west coast.

Do you think anyone in Ybor knows what lurks offshore? All you hear down here is everything is fine, come and spend money, catch a fish, and go snorkeling! People need to know what danger they are in but they don't. Help spread the word if you live in FL.

www.youtube.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 6/1/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I live on the West Coast of Canada and have always wanted and even dreamed of living in Florida keys. This goes back to when I was a kid watching Flipper. I was so jealous of that Flipper kid.

Now, I wouldn't dare invest a penny there in real estate until this mess is over. My friends and family are absolutely sick and despondent over the whole thing. My father even loses sleep over it. Some friends wont even talk about it because its just too depressing. Keep in mind that I only know one person who's actually been to Florida.

How can a few people have the power to ruin one of the most beautiful places on earth? I can barely imagine how angry residents must be at them.

Can we underestimate how bad this mess will get once a hurricane starts blowing millions? of barrels of oil all over everything?

Has anyone bought a house or business along the coast since this was first reported?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
why would they evacuate when the oil would just be on the shore? its not like its going to go inland

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goradd
why would they evacuate when the oil would just be on the shore? its not like its going to go inland

The make up of oil is toxic cancer causing agents that have serious negative side effects when you breath them. Especialy if they are on fire!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Goradd

Indirect hit from hurricane could bring oil into Florida’s estuaries and lagoons
www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...

Oil Spill Threatens 'Total Destruction' of US East Coast
www.presstv.ir...

An ominous report by Russia's Ministry of Natural Resources warned of the impending disaster resulting from the British Petroleum (BP) oil and gas leak in the Gulf of Mexico, calling it the worst environmental catastrophe in all of human history, the European Union Times reported.

Russian scientists believe BP is pumping millions of gallons of Corexit 9500, a chemical dispersal agent, under the Gulf of Mexico waters to hide the full extent of the leak, now estimated to be over 2.9 million gallons a day.

Experts say Corexit 9500 is a solvent four times more toxic than oil.

The agent, scientists believe, has a 2.61ppm toxicity level, and when mixed with the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, its molecules will be able to “phase transition.”

This transition involves the change of the liquid into a gaseous state, which can be absorbed by clouds. The gas will then be released as “toxic rain” leading to “unimaginable environmental catastrophe” destroying all life forms from the “bottom of the evolutionary chart to the top,” the report said.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
See that is the problem. I do not think they will issue an evacuation order. What will the stock market do when that flashes across the news ticker. No they will not issue an evacuation, they will just let people die.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandletlive

The make up of oil is toxic cancer causing agents that have serious negative side effects when you breath them. Especialy if they are on fire!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Really?

You mean the stuff that is burned through our homes, and cars, and grills, and stoves, and water heaters every day?

You mean the stuff that all the oil workers and cleanup workers are handling with only gloves and boots? No breathing apparatus?

You mean the stuff that is processed all along the coast day in and day out for the last 50 years by 100's of 1000's of workers?

Come on!! They are not evacuating Tampa Bay over some mysterious smell. Even if it does cause Cancer, they don't care. The cancer will come 20 or 50 years from now and be impossible to connect to the spill. Plus the government and BP care about financial liability not health risks. The financial liability of a large scale evacuation far outweighs the distant vague possibility of some health issues!

BTW, I"m not saying it "doesn't" cause Cancer, I am only saying that it is all over our daily environment already, and that they don't care anyway!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Maybe people here think it's actually "the blob" and it's going to slowly swallow the United States.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jackietree

This is very disturbing. I live in central Florida. I hope the fumes don't reach this far. If we get toxic rain or a big hurricane off the gulf, the whole penunsula is in trouble.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Why would they evacuate Florida? They haven't evacuated any where else because of this spill.......

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I wonder what all the rich peoples that have beach front properties will say to congress. Oh, and if you smoke and breath the oil at the same time. I'm sure you will be seing a doctor soon, because your throat will start to burn. You might consider buying a mask. This message goes out to all those who live within 2 miles of the oil beaches. The beaches have already started collecting dead things like, plants, fish, and animals like a whale was dead on the beach. The stench of DEATH, must be appauling. I worry about the BIO HAZZARDS THERE. Who wants to go to a beach filled with DEATH. Everything in the water will be covered with it. Wait till the people start to complain about lung problems from breathing in all the oil. BURNING IN THE LUNGS, SHORTNESS OF BREATH. I'm glad i don't live by there. DEATH, by BIO HAZZARD.

top topics

join