It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing shot of ISS and Jupiter… during daytime!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
These pics are AMAZING!

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

The amazing pictures of the space station taken by ground-based amateur astronomers keeps on coming. On May 29th, Anthony Ayiomamitis used a 16 cm (6″) telescope to capture a phenomenal image of the International Space Station passing Jupiter… in broad daylight!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77a270132cbe.jpg[/atsimg]

Wow! Note the color of the sky; it was about 9:00 a.m. local time when he took this shot, with the Sun well above the horizon. This is actually two images added together; the first shows the ISS to the lower right, and in the second shot it had moved to the upper left. Jupiter shows its disk near the center of the frame, it being easily bright enough to be seen using a telescope in daylight.
What an incredible picture! But it gets cooler…

The picture on the right is the same shot, but this time he connected the two ISS images with a line. Given the size of both the ISS and Jupiter, it looks like the station flew directly in front of the planet from Anthony’s position! Had he taken that first shot literally a tenth of a second later, he would have had the picture of a lifetime. As it is, it’s still way cool.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b171a26ebf15.jpg[/atsimg]

Robert Vanderbei, at Princeton University, took this picture of Jupiter, also in daylight. You can see the moons!The picture has the moons labeled. Ganymede and Europa are faint, but visible. For an added coolness, Io was poised right on the limb of the planet’s disk. You can see the Red Spot, and also how the southern equatorial belt of Jupiter is missing (it should be at about the same latitude as the Red Spot). To get this Robert used a 9 cm (3.5″) Questar ’scope, which is small but has very nice optics.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link

[edit on Tue Jun 1 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Very cool, I always like some good space photographs to put us tiny little ants in perspective.

Sometimes we get to big for our britches as my grandparents used to say.

Thanks for the post!

King

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thats really cool.

Jupiter looks great in a blye sky

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Those pics are amazing! But i must say i am a little sceptic about the second one, however i am not an astronomer and all i know about telescopes, is that they are used to look at the stars.

Still, great pics.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

Those photos are amazing, Thanks for posting
I have a 4.5" Orion Equatorial in South Africa and I'm shocked this person was able to get those pics of the ISS with a 6"

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Excellent pix.

S&F to you.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by J.Smit

You can still see some objects during daytime if you have a gray filter or some other special type, I don`t remember exactly.
I know that I read that somewhere because I`m keen on astronomy and talked to others on astronomy forums about that

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I know, it`s amazing!
I have a 10" Dobson myself.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Sorry, but what is the other object in the first picture? Because for me I see two ISS... One marked down Jupiter and the other one in one corner of the picture...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FunkySonicO
Sorry, but what is the other object in the first picture? Because for me I see two ISS... One marked down Jupiter and the other one in one corner of the picture...

That picture is a composite of two images to show the path of the ISS as it went past Jupiter.

I have to say it gives me an unusual feeling to see Jupiter displayed in such detail during a daylight shot. I am so used to seeing the planet against the inky blackness that this photo seems unnatural.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Aaaarrrghh!! If only I had the equipment to see all of these cool things. Many thanks to those of you who share these images with us here at ATS

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

That is NOT the ISS..!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3424b399deb.jpg[/atsimg]

Do you remember the end of A New Hope when Darth Vader gets shot out into space..?

Yep...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Great photos!! Such an awesome occurrence to see both in the same sky!!

(and with that camera!!
)

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

Gave me a good laugh... but actually it really resembles a TIE somehow^^

Hope he crashes on earth, finally a leader i can look up too^^

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Very cool pic! S&F!
Makes me reminisce about seeing jupiter through our own telescope!

For all of you astronomy buffs, your not going to want miss this thread-
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join