It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC asked to monitor "hate speech," "misinformation" online

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

FCC asked to monitor "hate speech," "misinformation" online

arstech nica.com

Over thirty organizations want the Federal Communications Commission to open up a probe on "hate speech" and "misinformation" in media. "Hate has developed as a profit-model for syndicated radio and cable television programs masquerading as 'news'," they wrote to the FCC earlier this month.

As for the Internet, it "gives the illusion that news sources have increased, but in fact there are fewer journalists employed now than before," they charge. "Moreover, on the Internet, speakers can hide
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think this is important as it makes a direct play to free speech. According to the source article they are just asking for a probe on hate and misinformation in the media. Misinformation is a very subjective term. As most of us know the main stream media is often very biased when it comes to what they want to report. Also if it begins as a probe, it could end in censorship.

arstech nica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is what Hitler did.

People will say "times have changed"

But times never change. Only the physical reality we live in.

Thus, history repeats itself, and each time, we are left unsuspecting and baffled by what is going on. Only until the time passes, and we look back, will we see what we were actually in.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Gandhi
thanks for posting

And that is a good reference, thanks.
I hope it won't get as bad as Nazi Germany, but that is why it is good to remember the past.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The good ole’ FCC. Man, how you just love to hug them around the necks with your hands.

Honestly, they deserve hugs and plenty of them. We should organize a great big hug feast for the FCC. We could just love them to death. I am not advocating violence, I am advocating hugs.

Seriously though we need the FCC involved in the internet like we need all the other places involved in the internet.
Raist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

People remember the past but ignore its lessons. We speak of the horrors of Nazi Germany and the propaganda campaign but rigiorusly denounce those who point out similar forms of control and cencorship withing our own society. The mass opinion is one of, "yeah it did happen but it won't happen here"

Well perhaps I should say I "perceive" the mass opinion. It is hard to have an accurate measure of mass opinion and any survey attempting to do so would still skew but overall, if people do recognize it they seem to have the attitude that nothing can be done about it.

I include myself in this criticism and offer no excuse for my non-participation. Perhaps I believe what I believe to "wash my hands" so to speak when instances of structural violence and oppression occur. I suppose then I have noone to blame but myself for the situation I and others find ourselves in. What good are my beliefs when it only leads to complaining?

Hmmm sorry for the rambling post but the issue got my thinking introspectively.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Make sure the internet conforms to 'the official' truth,

as per Stalinistic DC propaganda.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

As for the Internet, it "gives the illusion that news sources have increased, but in fact there are fewer journalists employed now than before," they charge

Maybe the FCC should spend more time monitoring the lies that some of the MSM push as "truth". After all, that is SUPPOSED to be the reason that they were created.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Am glad to see it looks like people are agreeing that we don't need the FCC getting involved in the internet. It is good that we have a place where what ever the ruling elite decides is not pushed to us as the official truth.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Am glad to see it looks like people are agreeing that we don't need the FCC getting involved in the internet. It is good that we have a place where what ever the ruling elite decides is not pushed to us as the official truth.

I would go further. This administration is trying to get involved in EVERY aspect of our lives, and I strongly detest it. I don't need the government telling me what I can read, access, eat, grow in my garden, or say, as long as I am not harming anyone.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The FCC is the new Ministry of Propaganda and will act as the tip of the spear when the zionist decide to destroy free speech. Beware and learn from history. Soon we shall have our own Reichstag. Will you recognize it when it happens?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I think they are asking for a probe with the intentions of turning it into cencorship. I'd like to know what their definition of hate speech is. From the two examples that they gave I only see one that I would consider hate speech. The following example that they give I don't consider hate speech at all......

.....this excerpt from a tirade allegedly given by nationally syndicated radio host Michael Savage:

America is being overrun by an invasion force from Mexico... Is it racist to protect your nation against an invading horde, from another nation that wants to sweep you off the map?... And you think the gang banger with baggy pants is going to pay for your retirement... ? [Y]ou're digging your own grave ... [a]ll that's missing is the worm from the tequila bottle to go with it.

I don't percieve any hate from that statement, just someone that is fed up with the massive amount of illegal immigrants from one country. He isn't advocating violence in that statement.

Funny how this seems to be an issue during a time when there is so much attention being paid to illegal immigration from Mexico, and it seems the biggest advocate of this is a hispanic coalition

Seems like it's not so much about the issue of hate speech as it is about their own agenda of taking the heat off of illegal immigrants.

The groups who want this new proceeding include Free Press, the Media Access Project, Common Cause, the Prometheus Radio Project, and the League of United Latin American Citizens. Their statement, filed in the Commission's Future of Media proceeding, comes in support of a petition to the agency submitted over a year ago by the National Hispanic Media Coalition.

They list this as a reason that a probe into hate speech is needed......

Hate crimes against Latinos have gone up 40 percent over the last four years, the petition says.

I'd like to see their statistics and know which races are predominantly commiting these hate crimes against Latinos. I find it hard to belive that it is due to internet speech.

In addition, the groups wants the FCC to examine "the prevalence of misinformation" in the media, since misinformation "creates a climate of prejudice."

That's funny ! Government agencies are the biggest providers of misinformation out there, and they should examine it's prevalence

The FCC needs to realize the hidden agenda in this request, stay away from the internet and leave our free speech alone.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
In the peanut sized brains of people who want the FCC to regulate, one must remember that hate speech equates to anything they disagree with.

As for the example posted above of Michael Savage stating that we are being invaded, that is 100% factually accurate. The latino groups know thats the case, yet they dont want the masses to fully understand the invasion that is taking place.

If these groups truly want to eradicate "hate speech", perhaps they should shut their freaking mouths first.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chise61

I think they are asking for a probe with the intentions of turning it into cencorship.

Chise
thanks for your information. And I agree with your quote above.
I do think that is the key point hear with what is being asked for.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Beware and learn from history. Soon we shall have our own Reichstag. Will you recognize it when it happens?

Kozmo
I hope things will not get as bad as the Nazi Germany Parliament, which is what I took it you are referring to. But the point you make is a good one. The Nazis did censor speech to control the people.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Amen. And Stalin, and Castro, and Kim Jong Il, and any other megalomaniacal leader as well blocked the flow of information and the expression of free thinking and ideas.

This shouldn't be an issue for the FCC - the NSA actually has control over information - the FCC has control over communications.

This sort of Government control is a WAY worse violation of free speech and constitutional rights than Arizona's immigration law, and I bet we won't see this even covered in MSM.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Perhaps the FCC should be taking this into account then?

Megaphone: Israels Disinformation Automation Tool

You'd think it would fall under the category of "Misinformation" at least, and "Hate Speech" in more than a few places.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

DEM
be it misinformation, or manipulation, both would be correct terms. Which is why I hope this does not come to pass.
As an above poster said, it is unlikely that the MSM will bother reporting on this.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
is Colin Powell's son still running the FCC or did he move on to bigger more evil things? i wonder.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Absolutely. This is recorded for those who do not believe.

Maybe a little searching of Hitler and his M.O. would enlighten many.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join