It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer Introduces Bill Curtailing Call Center Outsourcing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yes, a bill to stop companies that use oversea call centers to stop "some of the job leaching oversea", for me is too littler too late.

What this senators needs to do is make a bill to stop the leeching of meaningful jobs outside the US.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) announced on Sunday that he intends to introduce legislation designed to curtail the flow of American call center jobs to foreign lands by requiring companies to provide customers with more information on who they are speaking with and imposing a fee on calls transferred offshore.

The bill would require companies to disclose to customers when their calls are being transferred outside the U.S. A fee of $0.25 cent fee would also be charged to the company for each call it transferred.

With 1.6 billion calls transferred outside the U.S. each year, the excise tax imposed on companies that offshore call centers could raise as much as $400 million each year.

www.economyincrisis.org...

Still I hate having to call a company that have somebody in the other line speaking worst English than I do.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Finally this might not seem important unless you get a 420 dollar bill for talking with someone from out of the country because of telemarketers!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Actually is suppose to generate about 400 million dollars a year, and create jobs that can pay 12 dollars an hour, before the outsourcing the pay for calls in centers within the US was 20 dollars an hour but now that people are losing jobs I imagine that 12 dollars an hour is better than minimum wage.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hmm with the min wage at $8.40, $12.00 seems much better.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Good bill. I would vote for it (assuming there wasn't anything hidden in it.)

Lets get our jobs back.

Oh - And I work for $7.25 an hour so $12 and hour is like a dream right now.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by The_Zomar]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As a call center owner/operator who has one in the United States, this is great news.

Incentives to make sure that I can continue to pay my employees fair wages while not compromising on the level of service to our clients and customers.

For too long now I've had to cut costs in other sectors in order to make sure it did not adversely affect those who work for me.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Although my view will undoubtably be unpopular, this kind of protectionism is doomed to fail in the long run. You'll have a choice as a provider of such services, either raise your prices to compensate for forced labor costs, or move your business to a locale where you can continue to maintain profits at prices that permit you to under price your competitors.

One competitor not subject to such restrictions will win out. Economics will find a way to function in lieu of restrictions in its own natural way. Outside of a global law, I'm afraid this cannot work long term.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BuffaloJoe

That way of thinking is what got our nation in the mess that is right now, while many other developed nations practice protectionism US is just been the biggest loser here.

Where have you seen any company from Japan been bought by any foreign nation so far?

China? just US is for sale, Americas leaders need to rethink polices when it comes to commerce, Free trade, NAFTA and the WTO because is hurting Americans.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The low wage centers of the world will undergo the same evolution that anyone else goes through. Although we're talking time scales of generations, eventually the cycle will come full circle. There will be a day when moving jobs to the US will be the profitable move. Forcing companies to pay higher wages will have short term effects.

One option that seems to be a trend is paying a premium for state side support. Ultimately, the consumer will pay for forced wages.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BuffaloJoe

By that time US will be nothing but a shell of its former glory due to the greed of those that holds the power in the nation.

Just remember that most developing countries practice protectionism to avoid the mistakes of the US

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This bill is idiotic.

Yet another absolutely retarded bill brought to us by democrats that will have the exact opposite effect it is intended to.

What will be the ultimate outcome?

Since US call centers are more expensive, companies will use them less frequently - OR - they will pass the cost of them on to consumers.

Thus people will ultimately get one of two things:

Products will become more expensive - OR - service will be reduced.

Just great.

Politicians are idiots. What f#cking right does government have to tell a private business owner he can't hire a call center in India? What f#cking right does government have to say that? This is totally unconstitutional.

Government is run by a bunch of criminal looting thugs

This is an outrage.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

new topics

top topics

join