It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh'

Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of Jesus, 'The Word Made Flesh'

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) says she believes she must pursue public policies "in keeping with the values" of Jesus Christ, "The Word made Flesh." Pelosi, who is a Catholic and who favors legalized abortion, voted against the ban on partial-birth abortion that was enacted into law in 2003.

At a May 6 Catholic Community Conference on Capitol Hill, the speaker said: “They ask me all the time, ‘What is your favorite this? What is your favorite that? What is your favorite that?’ And one time, ‘What is your favorite word?’ And I said, ‘My favorite word? That is really easy. My favorite word is the Word, is the Word. And that is everything. It says it all for us. And you know the biblical reference, you know the Gospel reference of the Word.”

“And that Word," Pelosi said, "is, we have to give voice to what that means in terms of public policy that would be in keeping with the values of the Word. The Word. Isn’t it a beautiful word when you think of it? It just covers everything. The Word. Fill it in with anything you want. But, of course, we know it means: ‘The Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us.’

After Pope Benedict XVI met privately with Speaker Pelosi in February 2009, the Vatican issued a statement saying: "His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church's consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoin all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in co-operation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development."

Well... How do you like THAT from the moronic, hypocritical and religiously devoid Speaker of the House? That a person can call herself Catholic and yet endorse abortion is hypocritical beyond words. I personally know two or three Catholic priests who would physically kick her butt out of their churches if she walked in. THAT is how opposed the Catholic Church is to abortion.

But, then, for this hypocrite advocate of abortion to stand before a gathering of Catholics and profess that she pursues the values of Jesus Christ is enough to make me vomit. Pursues the values of Jesus Christ?? Jeeeez... Talk about a walking lightning rod, Nancy Pelosi is begging for God to smite her.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 6/1/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
When she said "Jesus" are we sure she didn't mean "Jesus" (pronounced 'hay-soos')? I have never liked this woman nor trusted her. I can't believe that should would be endorsing church + state from her pedestal!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Doc! glad to see you up and about!.
great thread buddy but I beat ya to it by a couple hours

great minds think alike!

here is the link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(ps: I flagged and starred ya anyways)

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Jesus was against the use of force.

Government can not exist without violence.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Last time I checked there was supposed to be a seperation of church and state. If Pelosi is making decisions simply based on her catholic beliefs then she should not be in office.

This opens opportunity for the catholic church to once again lead the affairs of state and country by sheer influence of faith and eternal damnation.

And people ask me why I'm atheist. Ha.

King

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I must've missed the part in the New Testament where Jesus went about smiting his misguided followers. I can understand why you disagree with her and her policies, but shouldn't you be trying to remove her from the political scene through activism instead of wishing to see her suffer physical harm?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
A lot of sick psychopathic people have to rationalize ('justify') their compulsions & treachery with somekind of self-fabricated nonsense.

Corporate whoring & other forms of treason, by any other name,

still smells the same.

& for clarity it is NOT a pretty smell.

examine an unflushed toilet as a point of reference for the uninformed.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by slank]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Jesus was as anti government as the most radical out there (he was anti Roman), but hey don't tell that to those that Pursue Policies in keeping with the values of Jesus like Pelosi.

Pelosi is a moron.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

What a loaded crock of crap Pelosi is spewing forth now.

What happened to Separation of Church and State, which was in the Constitution?

Forget the Catholicism vs. Christian non-denominational angle.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Separation of Church and State : United States

The concept of separating church and state is often credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke.

According to his principle of the social contract, Locke argued that the government lacked authority in the realm of individual conscience, as this was something rational people could not cede to the government for it or others to control.

For Locke, this created a natural right in the liberty of conscience, which he argued must therefore remain protected from any government authority.

These views on religious tolerance and the importance of individual conscience, along with his social contract, became particularly influential in the American colonies and the drafting of the United States Constitution.

Indeed such was Locke's influence, Thomas Jefferson stated:

"Bacon, Locke and Newton..I consider them as the three greatest men that have ever lived, without any exception, and as having laid the foundation of those superstructures which have been raised in the physical and moral sciences."

The concept was implicit in the flight of Roger Williams from religious oppression in Massachusetts to found what became Rhode Island on the principle of state neutrality in matters of faith.

This was written into the Constitution to keep religion from having any sway over Government.

While "Christian principles" were certainly used in forming our nation, those were a guide, and not an actual church and or religious entity, like "Jesus".

It is policy first, Jesus second, because Government is supposed to be "religiously neutral".

This is because of the many branches, religions, and sects of each, so no one holds any more sway, hold, or power over the entire nation, regardless of beliefs.

Here is a former, and the current President's thoughts on, Separation of Church and State.

JFK on the Separation of Church and State

Obama Breaks Down Why We Need Separation of Church & State

Quote from : U.S.GovInfoAbout.com - Separating Church And State

Separating Church And State

Dateline: 7/11/99

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

...The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States

In parts of America, regular school prayer was practiced until 1962 when the Supreme Court, in the case of Engel v. Vitale, ruled it unconstitutional. In writing the Court's opinion, Justice Hugo Black cited the "Establishment Clause" of the First Amendment:

"...It is a matter of history that this very practice of establishing governmentally composed prayers for religious services was one of the reasons which caused many of our early colonists to leave England and seek religious freedom in America. ...Neither the fact that the prayer may be denominationally neutral nor the fact that its observance on the part of the students is voluntary can serve to free it from the limitations of the Establishment Clause... Its first and most immediate purpose rested on the belief that a union of government and religion tends to destroy government and to degrade religion...The Establishment Clause thus stands as an expression of principle on the part of the Founders of our Constitution that religion is too personal, too sacred, too holy, to permit its 'unhallowed perversion' by a civil magistrate..."

The Court had, in essence, re-drawn the line separating church and state.

Now, nowhere am I comparing or contrasting Kennedy with Obama, they are not even in the same category, Kennedy was far better, but both have a clear and concise understanding and explanation of this very important part of our Constitution.

You must have a separation between "church" and "state", because if we do not, we can come to the same level of political and religious corruption that was rife in Europe before the forming of the United States of America.

Corruption is bad enough, when it comes to Government, but with an addition of religious corruption, through beliefs which will negate "Governmental" control, giving it over to a "religion", any religion, we will sway too far one way over another, leaning left or right, when our Government is supposed to be an equal mixture, even if it is not at times, at least it balances out.

From time to time.

Constitution Lecture 9: Separation of Church and State

I think Pelosi is talking a bunch of bunk based upon her beliefs, and not those of Government itself, which is supposed to remain neutral, to an extent.

This is one of the reasons I am neither Republican nor Democrat.

Neither Conservative nor Liberal.

A registered Independent, who sees both sides of the coin, walking neutrality.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You know the *%&^s gonna hit the fan soon when republicans start politicaly martyring themselves with stupid %^&* liek this.

I THOUGHT BIRD WAS THE WORD....

ba ba ba bird bird bird, bird is the word....

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
1. There are plenty of Pro-Choice Catholics. It's not for us to judge her religion OR her practice of her religion, IMO.

2. She was at a Catholic Community Conference, not speaking in Congress.

3. She was asked a PERSONAL question: "What's your favorite word"?

Everyone who is in politics, to some extent, makes policy according to their personal beliefs, religious or otherwise. I can't stand Pelosi, either, but I've never known her to be overly religious in her actions on Capitol Hill.

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Can someone tell me what the issue is? But of course, it's not the first time I've been baffled by people's complaints.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
hahahahahahaha, oh, ouch I hurt myself. That was great! Oh my side hurts.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Almost every retarded politician in history has said they are doing their gods job. That means god has been on the side of everyone from George W. Bush to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It is always VERY alarming to see folks in high positions who believe in these imaginary mythical characters and the silly book they originate from. I can only hope that such folks being that high up in the hierarchy are just speaking these things for some agenda or popularity, and not because they are that foolish enough to actually believe in such things.

I can understand uneducated commoners believing in this nonsense, but in such high positions as such, there is NO excuse for this nonsense to exist in these folks brains. Scary stuff.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Jesus was against the use of force.

Government can not exist without violence.

Jesus will use force when He returns. Pelosi may as well get herself a rod of iron and start busting heads.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Almost every retarded politician in history has said they are doing their gods job. That means god has been on the side of everyone from George W. Bush to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Yea but Bush was and Ahmadinejad is not.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Pelosi is a disgrace to Catholics and Christians everywhere.

Heck, she's a disgrace to the whole darn human race.

BTW, related thread for anyone who's interested:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Guess that separation of church and state got dumped back in the states. Id rather live under an Islamic state than a christian one..

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
great thread buddy but I beat ya to it by a couple hours

Hey, I apologize — I did a search for the keywords "Pelosi" and "Jesus" before I ever started the thread, and I didn't find any matches on ATS at the time. I always search before I post, to avoid redundancy; so, I owe you an apology.

Maybe I'm not hittin' on all cylinders just yet.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Great post...and I see you have added some Madison. I just love many things he had to say on this issue. Unfortunately for James he is often overshadowed by what Jefferson said and did on many issues. In this case it was because he spoke right down the line and said things about the church that still rankel to this day.

But his seperation had to do with functions of power and joint power. Madison and Jefferson both knew that nothing could be done about a persons religious holding influncing a public position or disposition. A person openly mouthing opinons that show strong religious beliefs can no more be officially sqelched than anyones open mouthing any number of ideas born out of any number of secular political idealogies.

In fact if the way party politics plays out in appointments, legistlative procedure, public policy ect ect were to give heed to the example set by seperating the church from any offical action in governemet, one could see with more clarity the same foul avoided there at work in offical political platforms. Yes... the same way that Ivy Legue opinions have taken on the wieght of a sort of political cleargy or party wieght in the body becomes a sort of licence to impose, a referendum if you will, on the constitution and the bill of rights.

new topics

top topics

join