It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trouble Sleeping? Maybe It's Your iPad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
"CNN) -- J.D. Moyer decided recently to conduct a little experiment with artificial light and his sleep cycle.

The sleep-deprived Oakland, California, resident had read that strong light -- whether it's beaming down from the sun or up from the screens of personal electronics -- can reset a person's internal sleep clock.

So, for one month, whenever the sun set, he turned off all the gadgets and lights in his house -- from the bulb hidden in his refrigerator to his laptop computer.

It worked. Instead of falling asleep at midnight, Moyer's head was hitting the pillow as early as 9 p.m. He felt so well-rested during the test, he said, that friends remarked on his unexpected morning perkiness. "

Source: www.cnn.com...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this interesting. I can see how having an indirect source light in a bedroom, such as a bright street light, with insufficient curtains, or just blinds, or sunshine during the day if someone is trying to sleep and not used to that can bother someone. I can even understand not having numerous lights flashing from a computer modem, etc. but turning off the bulb hidden in a refrigerator?

So my question for ATS'ers is does light effect your level of sleep
comfort, or are you the type that is "out like a light" the minute your
head hits the pillow?

[edit on 1-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
placebo effect springs to mind.

not sure if turning your refrigerator light and such has much effect....maybe on some but not on most people.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

The placebo effect is certainly possible. But the refrigerator light goes out automatically when you close the door so that part seemed strange, or maybe a CNN error or exaggeration.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
well no everyone has a fridge light that turns off automatically next time i know to unscrew it when i sleep next to my fridge.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

well no everyone has a fridge light that turns off automatically next time i know to unscrew it when i sleep next to my fridge.

In America, the refrigerator turns off the light, in Soviet Russia, the refrigerator light turns off you!

(Just kidding!!!
)

[edit on 1-6-2010 by star in a jar]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Its not placebo. The body needs total darkness at least now and then to replenish its supplies of something or other. Of course, it would be helpful if the name of the stuff came to mind, but it doesn't

Though turning off the fridge light is just stupid.

EDIT: It's melatonin. That's the one

[edit on 1-6-2010 by ShadowArcher]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
hmm simple - he had nothing to do no tv, no laptop ipod etc hence going to bed early every night for a month, that'd make me feel very rested to!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

good one!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I'd be in bed at 9pm every night too if I had such a lack of things to do.

I sleep like a log with my modem lights flashing at me. I think this is just a case of boredom.

new topics

top topics

join