It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census takers violating first amendment rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
[

In Virginia, a male Census Bureau worker, in clear violation of the Fourth Amendment guarantee against unreasonable searches and seizures, reportedly forced his way into a home after being informed by a 19-year-old boy that his mother was asleep and unavailable to answer his questions at that time. Having gained entry to the house, the Census Bureau worker then began to vigorously question the boy, who is half Chinese, about his ethnic heritage, remarking that the son looked Hispanic or Latino.

www.lewrockwell.com...

I don't understand how they can just barge in, even the police need a reason to just barge in to someones home.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

I don't understand how they can just barge in, even the police need a reason to just barge in to someones home.

They can't. Plain and simple, this census worker broke the law and should be reported.

And census workers wonder why they are greeted with such hostility.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Seems to me that someone is exaggerating. A few rogue census takers does not mean that the government is "against the people". Of 600,000 people, some are going to do stupid things, have a personal agenda and that may be the case here or whoever reported this is exaggerating.

I mean, we have to consider the 599,900 census workers who did their job in a polite and respectful manner, like the one who came to our house.

Census takers violating first amendment rights

And what FIRST Amendment right was violated?

[edit on 6/1/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
First things first, you claim in the headline it is a violation of First Amendment Rights, and the article itself claims a Fourth Amendment violation. I believe the 4th Amendment is more applicable.

That being said, the author of the article also penned: " Getting After the Devil: Obama and Civil Liberties" so I believe there is a beginning bias and taints the remainder of the article and it's accuracy.

After the initial first paragraph, it continues on with generalities and few names and exact instances.

The bottom line is that Census workers are employees of the Federal Government and as the People lose confidence in government, as evidenced by general public opinion right now, the workers will feel the brunt of it. Census workers in particular since they actually show up at people's doorstep rather than the public having to seek out such a person to take their out grievances.

The following dollar amounts however are seemingly ridiculous and incredibly wasteful in my opinion. The rest of the article could disappear, and if left with only the following, would demonstrate yet another enormous bill to be paid by the American taxpayer:

Third, taxpayers are being saddled with a whopping $14.7 billion bill, which is supposed to pay for 10 years' worth of Census-counting, 500 field offices and a peak staff of 1.4 million workers. But that's not all. We're also paying for a $133 million television, radio, print, outdoor and Internet advertising propaganda campaign that includes prime-time spots during the Super Bowl XLIV and the 2010 Winter Olympics, as well as a national road tour with 13 vehicles traveling to key events across the country, such as NASCAR races. And then there's the cost of the in-person Census visits, estimated at $80–90 million for every 1% of households that don't mail in their responses. As of April 27, 2010, 28% of households had not responded, which translates to a follow-up cost of roughly $2.5 billion.

Does the government really need Nascar spots and Super Bowl ads? Are 500 field offices, at a time when most companies are looking to shut down offices in order to curb costs and instead rely on telecommuting, necessary?

The most obvious answer is no.

I would be remiss however if I merely overlooked that some of those 1.4 million workers are our neighbors and friends simply looking for work and were fortunate enough to find some, despite it being temporary.

There are bad apples in every business and with the focus on the Census and the many nefarious theories as to why it's really being done, it stands to reason that every time one worker, out of the 1.4 million, steps out of line it will become a launching pad for more anti-government propaganda.

Edit to fix quote.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I actually agree with the responses here.

In fact, I'd have to say this is highly...uhm..."provocative".

My Sister is a Census Supervisor, and while she does feed me info as to census workers GPS'ing front doors and entryways, she also assures me that they have no more rights than anyone else to enter residences. She'd be all over this person with a fine tooth comb (I have huge respect for my Sis), and would most likely call the authorities herself to call attention to this worker upon the first complaint received.

It's painfully obvious that there are certainly bad apples in every group, and that this person needs to undergo authorities heavy hand; if he isn't, someone's not doing there job.

new topics

top topics

join