It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Over/Under : When will the oil stop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Just curious when people think this BP mess will be over.
Tons of predictions on tons of topics. Well here's my prediction:

The problem will be resolved and fixed by: 10/10/10 ( My birfday!!)

Closest without going over, gets nothing. Absolutely nothing.

So?!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think a hurricane will come and destroy both new drilling rigs and all of this will have to start over. more news. more threads etc.

my guess 1/27/2011

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If Abiotic Oil theorists are true then NEVER! lol.

I keed, I keed! Seriously though, Im sure the gulf region will be feeling the effects of this disaster for decades.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Hurricane season sure is going to squash any efforts.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
January 17, 2011. fwiw- just read an article that the president of the american assoc. of petroleum geologist says that plugging the well on the first attempt (relief well) would be the equivalent of winning the lottery. Tough times ahead, fo sho.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think when the only tool you have is a hammer all your problems start to look like nails. These guys are using a 30 year old play book. They are trying things that have never worked repeatedly.

Also they are hedging all their bets on the relief wells. Just because a relief well has worked on blow outs in the past doesn't mean it will this time, Conditions are different with this one.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
From the news ive been hearing my opinion has swung from months to possibly years...
If the relief wells (the first of which isnt expected to be close till august)
dont succeed by sept/ oct. at the latest then id expect well be seeing this go on for a long long time.
It is a good possibility they will not succeed in stopping this leak at all.....
The desperation level may just get high enough to cause some hair brained attempt which will destroy any chance of stopping it.
A nuclear bomb ro other explosive attempts to seal this would be deadly.
Meanwhile the clock is ticking, the oil is spewing, this can only get worse with time...
It is obvious that nobody has an answer and that every so called expert seems to be at a loss as to what it will take to fix this.
What is also obvious to most is that clean up is sadly being neglected.
The action should have started long ago and it hasnt even begun to get going, on the scale needed to deal with this disaster we could use evry boat available on the east coast.
Why is there not swift and decisive action being undertaken to deal with the cleanup problem?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I found this www.shearpowerservices.com... I think would do the trick.

www.shearpowerservices.com...

That shear they have shown on their video looks impressive. It wouldn't have to make a complete cut through the end of the riser pipe. Could be stopped 2 inches from compete cut and be left in place. Also the blades could be changed to ones that would do the best job for crimping and sealing the leak. This would work as a hybrid valve. Left in place long enough for a top kill to have enough back pressure to work and then sealed with concrete.

Unfortunately as I am typing this BP is in the process of cutting the riser off the top of the BOP, and therefore increasing the flow for the next several months and making the top kill impossible.

What a horrible feeling. It's like watching a bad train wreck in slow motion and not being able to do anything about it,

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
From the news ive been hearing my opinion has swung from months to possibly years.

Yeah thats crazy. Some chatter I have read says January.
Such a god damn shame.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Saturday June 19th 2010 as stated here:
Your prediction of this Headline: “BP Stops the Oil Leak, Massive Clean-up Begins”

S&F OP!!

They say when you think of an idea someone some where in the world thought of it a day before you. That is almost literal in this case.

[edit on 6/2/2010 by UberL33t]

top topics

join