It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Laser Destroys UAV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Navy Laser Destroys UAV

Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA), with support from Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Dahlgren, for the second time successfully tracked, engaged, and destroyed a threat representative Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) while in flight May 24 at San Nicholas Island, Calif.

Looks like the Air Force wont be alone when playing with their amplified light beams.

This would make a hell of a point defence against all air targets, maybe surface targets as well?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Erm... Really? Im not calling bluff, but the thought of our military now using laser guns seems a little off to me.

Then again weird stuff is happening these days.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Well, heres a link and a pic
www.navsea.navy.mil...
of the system.

I think they've been working on this for a while, and going to an all electric system for their boats.

another link
www.spacedaily.com...

[edit on 1-6-2010 by ErEhWoN]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well, I guess this development takes care of the thread posted here recently about how the chinese (and just about everyone else) had "super" missiles that would destroy U.S. aircraft carriers.

The speed of light will beat hypersonic every time ...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yeah, even if their ballistic anti-ship missles have in flight terminal guidance maneuverability , its kinda herd to beat the speed of light!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This potentially will alter the course of warfare forever. Cant wait to see it actually working and the new planes and tanks fitted with them

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this

Very interesting technology.

I wonder what the range is on this laser canon and if it could possibly take out satellites?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleObserver
Thanks for posting this

Very interesting technology.

I wonder what the range is on this laser canon and if it could possibly take out satellites?

Or maybe fit them to space crafts to stop life threatening comets/asteroids (but I would imagine power would be an issue)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN
Yeah, even if their ballistic anti-ship missles have in flight terminal guidance maneuverability , its kinda herd to beat the speed of light!

It's kind've hard to focus a laser beam weapon at an incoming, highly-maneuverable and very fast anti-ship missile while hoping the tiny beam will somehow cause the heat-protected missile casing to fail and explode... let alone multiple incoming missiles...

I still fail to see what is so great about this waste of money. The Soviets had superior technology in the 60s that was battle-proven.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

It's kind've hard to focus a laser beam weapon at an incoming, highly-maneuverable and very fast anti-ship missile while hoping the tiny beam will somehow cause the heat-protected missile casing to fail and explode... let alone multiple incoming missiles...

I still fail to see what is so great about this waste of money. The Soviets had superior technology in the 60s that was battle-proven.

And you know these things, how?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I would like to think that in past 50 years, SOME progress has been made in the integrated laser / targeting systems.

First I have heard of 'superior' Russian Naval laser technology. But I have an open mind, convince me.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Not with a fast computer system. Wonder if the U.S. Navy has any?
Also, a fast computer, plus multiple beams per ship takes care of multiple missiles.

Really? If true, the russians would still have the technology, right? Why or how did they lose it?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

And you know these things, how?

I use this thing called the internet.

Russia "had laser cannons before US" (RIA Novosti)

Almaz-Antey HEL DEW (1970s-80s)

Almaz-Antey HEL DEW test

Almaz-Antey HEL DEW Mobile Combat System

Soviet Surface to Satalite Laser (1980s/FAS)

Depiction of a Soviet ground laser system in the field in Afghanistan

Almaz/Beriev A-60 High Energy Laser Directed Energy Weapon Testbed (First flight 1981)

New Russian anti missile laser being displayed abroad (2008/RT)

Is this good or should I get into technical details and not just pretty images?

Really? If true, the russians would still have the technology, right? Why or how did they lose it?

The Russians have developed advanced laser systems and in true Russian efficiency they still use them in an operational capacity. The Russians aren't stupid, they know that you need a rediculous amount of research, advanced techonlogy, and practical data to use massive laser systems so Russia now uses what they have already developed in operational limits, meaning lasers are not a big focus in the Russian military (compared to their advanced missile technology).

In truth, most of modern Russian laser weapon tech appears to be privatized and sold to corporations, ie the Manta for transport aircraft defense. I would not be surprised if this is where the US got most of its laser weapons technology.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi]

top topics

join