It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most successful fighter...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I would say the F-117 FIGHTER, no but I would say the F-16 because of remarkable performance. The F-22 Will be the next best when this thread is made in 10 years!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gastric cancer

Originally posted by Russian

Originally posted by gastric cancer
F-15 and Su-27

Mig-29 is far from success.

What do you think of the Su-30 MKK you people got from Russia?

You like them dont you?

Out,
Russian

Yes, I really like Su-27 and Su-30.

They are the most beautiful flighters in the world.

Sexy Su-30 MKK in China spiting a missile.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
F-22 is the best looking fighter

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I like this mig-25 its the kind my father flew!

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

They are the most beautiful flighters in the world.

That I'll grant you...but like most here, I'll have to go with the F-16 in all-around "success"....

The Raptor though, is off to a good start (though I am biased a bit, as my pop works on these, hehe...)

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
F-22 is the best looking fighter

I dont really know why but I like the looks of the F-16, F-18, Su-37, Su-30 MKK much more then the all new Raptor.

But it is a very good aircraft.

Just the look of the new "stealth" aircraft didnt get to me yet.

I like the sexy slim body Su-27 alot!

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
You've got it all wrong here people! The YF-23 was the best looking fighter...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
wait,
is this supposed to be a question over what the best fighter, ever, was... or what the best fighter is today?

I think you have to set-up an equation that factors in A2A victory rates OVER a certain number of engagements, survivability AFTER being damaged, versatility (years in service spread over theaters and combat roles), cost-benefit analysis, and anecdotal evidence concerning one on one engagements between pilots of equal ability. Also, things like training accidents and maintenance mistakes need to be factored in... because a well-designed plane should be pilot and crew friendly.

So... keeping that in mind...
Yes, the F-15 has an awesome A2A record. It's also been operated in a period where the US has mostly lived in relative peace. Unlike the F-4 or F-86, which had to fly against MiGs flown by Russian 'volunteers' in Vietnam and Korea, the F-15 has only engaged enemy aircraft flown by pilots from non-major powers. It's also extremely expensive, meaning that its 'bang for buck' ratio probably isn't the same as that for something like a P-51. So, yes, the F-15 is undefeated, but it's also never been in a situation where the odds weren't in its favor.

So... I gotta say...

That the F-4 is my pick. Yes, it can't fly against anything around today... but for its era it was a dominant fighter, and one that flew in situations where the success of the mission wasn't ensured. I think it had something like a 12 to 1 victory ratio in vietnam... and its service in the hands of the Israelis was just devastating. It was also known to be a rugged/damage resistant fighter that could fly a variety of missions with little redesign needed. When it WAS hit... its crew often made it home.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warhappy
I like this mig-25 its the kind my father flew!

go.supereva.it...

this is indian mig-21 and not 25...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams, you make some good points, but as far as survivability goes, I'd take the Eagle...

I remember reading about an Isreali pilot who lost a whole wing and didnt even know - he just flew back to base and landed. When he got out everyone was just staring at the plane and someone had to show him because he didn't even know.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Warhappy, nice aircraft, I was always a fan of the intake in the front, makes it seem more tough and like a machine. How long did your dad fly that aircraft?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
My father was a Lt in the italian air force during the 60's, he had a few engagments in africa and somewhere else i cant remember for sure

[edit on 16-6-2004 by Warhappy]

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
the YF23 balck widow would beat any fighter to date
its the most sexy looking,ass kicking ,stealthiset and not forgetting larger plane out there

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Beh, the worlds only vertical take off and landing jet fighter of course, the Harrier Jump Jet.. A remarkable peice of British ingenuity....

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I do like the Eagle and its A2A record design and power but i think the Raptor will have a better A2A record
but one thing is for sure they are both good looking aircrafts

[edit on 16-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Su-30 looks like eagle

but F-15 looks like a bird of peace

[edit on 17-6-2004 by gastric cancer]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
hah well that "bird of peace" has an A2A record of 101-0 some bird of peace huh

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I got to go with the F-15 thanks to its excellent kill/loss ratio. By performance and ability I think that the f-14 ranks pretty high up. No offense but the kill loss ratio of a Mig-29 wasn't very good. Correct me if I'm wrong but last I checked it had been zero kills, twelve losses. (This may have changed recently).

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If you go for best looking I say its the f-22 or f-23. My personal favorite plane has always been the f-14 (Awesome range,performance, looks awesome).

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I doubt the F-22 will get over 10 kills reported to the public. Because, whos going to know it shot the enemy down? And, with our Radar EMP, evidence is not going to be left behind because they will think its the planes comptuer problem!

America loves everyone!

[edit on 17-6-2004 by Laxpla]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join