It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life inside the North Korean bubble

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Life inside the North Korean bubble

news.bbc.co.uk

But the invite came with a catch - we were only allowed to film model farms, model villages, model schools and model homes.

We were instructed to film statues of the Great Leader, who although dead is still president, and portraits of his son the current Dear Leader, Kim Jong-il.

We were never allowed to film anything off the official programme or speak to anyone unscripted.

When we headed into the countryside we were driven at breakneck speed past towns and villages in various stages of
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The free world gets little information from the people of North Korea. This source article is at least better then nothing at all. As every movement was with a government official shadowing them, and would bush away any one who attempted to approach the reporters who did not meet the image they wanted to project. Any information is better then no information, so it is still worth a read.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Pretty diabolical how a people can be so cowed and ruled by an insane midget is frightening stuff.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

On the level
thanks for posting.

And yes it is pretty diabolical. The ruler partakes in all the indulgences the world offers, such as the internet, but yet denies it all to his people. People will argue that the west is not free either. Compare what is had in most free countries and most will find you have some blessings to count.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Good article. Wish it would have been more robust, but it seems to be a tickler for a BBC segment. I will have to try and look it up.

Thanks for sharing. I am fascinated by these kinds of things.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Amazing article. I've read/seen some previous reports from few tourists in the past 20 years - nothing has changed.

Sadly, you can't see the real thing of course. They probably shot the guy who was driving the tractor obviously donated by EU.

Here's more pictures, info:
news.bbc.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...

Oh, and if you haven't seen the Ryugyong Hotel yet, here you are because you don't want to miss that:
en.wikipedia.org...

It is a HUGE, completely empty 105-floor building built by Kind, True and Only Eternal Overlord and Master of the Universe Kim Il-sung.

Here's lots of pictures of NK:
debrisson.free.fr...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

Sassy cat
thanks for the information, stared.
It will be interesting to see the BBC episode if it becomes available.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It does drive home what we take for granted, I could not imagine living under that regime, I would be one of the first in Le Resistance

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Level
I would find it more likely that you would be in a labor camp. I that regime people can go to jail, which is actually labor camps to fuel the economy, for something as little as whistling a forbidden tune.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Sounds very similar to the Junta in Burma. These are the places where someone without their frenzied tentacles in the oil soaked depths of the Middle East needs to step in. The citizens of Myanmar and North Korea are being bullied and oppressed by a military; the only way to free them is to remove the military powers. It's simple.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I thought North and South Korea were about to go to war. It was all hot in here last week and now its all ghostly quiet. Whats the latest?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Prince
they have been throwing treats back and forth for fifty years.
Not much has changed, I doubt war will happen any time soon.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There are some extremely interesting and quite horrendous videos about North Korea on YouTube.

Some of them are a real eye opener and very educational.

It makes you wonder why we (other countries) haven't gone in there (North Korea) a long time ago simply to save those poor people from all the cruelty and brain washing they have on a daily basis.

www.youtube.com...

One to get you going!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I find North Korea fascinating. I would love to visit the place myself one day.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I think North Korea is one place I will try to avoid going.
Fascinating is something I don't think I would call it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by hungrydirt
Sounds very similar to the Junta in Burma. These are the places where someone without their frenzied tentacles in the oil soaked depths of the Middle East needs to step in. The citizens of Myanmar and North Korea are being bullied and oppressed by a military; the only way to free them is to remove the military powers. It's simple.

Fighting for freedom is something that a nations natives can only do best. It is something we should not be doing for them.

But if we do, you are right. The tyranny in North Korea is such that it cries out to the heavens to be undone. It is a travesty, a shame of humanity that we allow such conditions to exist.

But, like i said, freedom is for each man to fight for. If you do not spill your blood for freedom, then it may not mean as much.

This idea is part of what makes Texans act in such a way that it annoys everyone else. We recognize the US Independance struggle, as many of our own heros were staunch patriots. But we also have the added history of our own struggle against Santa Anna. We fought and died for our own freedom in Texas. To a Texan, that concept isn't just important, it is sacred.

LOL, that is why Texans sit around and talk about how crazy the folks in California are. They seem to give up their freedom so easily.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Oh believe me...I know that and YOU know that, but here on ATS last week 99% of the ATS'rs were positive war and WW3 was coming ASAP. Just curious as to what they all think now that its dead quiet.

Please warmongers-do tell!!!

Originally posted by RedGolem
reply to post by princeofpeace

Prince
they have been throwing treats back and forth for fifty years.
Not much has changed, I doubt war will happen any time soon.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by princeofpeace]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This video made in North Korea by the vice guide to travel guys, shows how truly strange the personality cult of "Dear Leader" is. Bizzare stuff. Be thankful you werent born in this place.

130.33.42.70.static.ey06.engineyard.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
But, like i said, freedom is for each man to fight for. If you do not spill your blood for freedom, then it may not mean as much.

Let's talk about freedom. North Korea is one of a handful of countries still outside of the sphere of the WTO and it's global control. In order to maintain this freedom from the horrible and genocidal effects of globalism North Korea is forced to maintain a world-class military for defensive purposes, especially after the US has already desolated Iraq with invasion and privatization. The US has shown itself to be a threat to any independently-minded nation on earth and North Korea is simply doing what it can to maintain national integrity through extremely nationalistic methods.

And really, what American has the right to judge North Korea? Have any of you seen American television lately? This is TV designed to penetrate the minds of 300million lesser-educated Americans with strong fascist messaging. Seriously, watch Ironman 2 and compare it to the "evil" media from North Korea; I think I'll trust obvious communist propaganda over mindless corporate sponsorship ie Hollywood productions.

North Korea is an independent culture and should have the right to exist as they see fit, anyone who disagrees is misguided beyond the means of recovery. If North Korea was truely the evil dictatorship that the West claims it to be, then why has there been no revolution about it? The fate of North Korea rests in the hands of the North Korean people, not in a pentagon global strike force planning room. If they are willing to go to war now, then it is to protect their own culture from external forces that have constantly hounded and starved them for the past 50 years.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You guys will love this.

Awesome video.

Vice Guide to North Korea - Part 1 of 3

Be sure to watch all three, because yes, they do get into North Korea.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by crisko]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join