It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Sissy Boys Allowed.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Seems to me that alot of people are still not getting the point here. You have the OP who is concerned that males in general are becoming weak and then you have males who have emotion who feel they are being attacked.

From an observational point of view if you as a human being not just a man or a woman. If you don't have both of these aspects you are only half a person. This is not speculation this is a logical fact. To say that men can only do this and can't do that is a limitation on the individual. To group people into one pigeon hole an say we all need to act like this or that is the height of facism.

Nobody tells me how to run my life. And if your modelling your life or personality from movies or other people then your somebody eles bitch. Sorry to be harsh but these are the facts. You can stomp your feet and swear black an blue that your a man. But the only reason your stomping your feet and swearing is because not only are you trying to convince other people but your trying to convince yourself too.

I suspect that this thread was created for a couple of reasons. Beacuse there is always a reason something is done. It was either created to validate the OP's sense of reality or it was created to get a rize out of the multitude of "sensative" guys on ats. And as a result gathering stars flags and points. Or even a combination of the 2.

Either way I thinking debating on what Constitues a man is ridiculous. In a world where people don't even know who they are how the hell can somebody say how someone else should be. This thread has given me much amusement reading most of these post I think it's safe to say there are alot of confused people out there. But I have known that for years so no breaking news flash for me there.

Anyway have fun trying to figure out who is right and wrong.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Without going into too much detail about myself, I am under 30 and work at Warner Bros.

You seem as though you are defending pop culture's ability to thicken the collective skull of society. While I dont disagree that PC has always been able to do this, I think they have truly capitalized on it in the past 30 years.

The things that they have shown to be popular over the past 30 years have gotten weaker and weaker and weaker, while the "Masculine" image has become more frowned upon than ever.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hey these kids grow up in a country in which there are 30 million more men in their generation than women.

To be 100% honest I don't see how a large portion of them could ever expect to fall in love unless they were homosexual. There just aren't enough women to go around in China.

That being said, why are there so many idiots on this site endorsing brainwashing?! You claim modern "media" is promoting more feminine virtues in men, yet you would have no problem if a formal institution specifically teaches males to act a certain way? WTF did I miss something?

If a dude is happy acting prissy let him do it, it's his prerogative.

I just really don't understand all of the cultural conservatives on here that claim to respect freedom while in reality they don't.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

How about "Ubersexual?"

The ubersexual harkens back to a man from an older world — a man who might shave with a badger brush and an imported soap, but would never peel “in order to gently restore radiance to the skin.”

He’s confident, passionate and feels good leading, but he respects women, is comfortable with his emotions and isn’t completely ignorant of anything cultural outside of sports, beer and burgers.

"I have some very high-powered, successful women in the entertainment business as clients. They’re strong in their work but — they want their man to come home to. We’re not talking about ‘hey, get me a beer’ — that’s not a man, that’s a boy man. We’re talking about the man who takes responsibility — who makes them feel safe: he ‘chops wood and carries water’ and he’s not pissed off at the woman for having to do that.”

Another JWT poll asked 500 men and 500 women at what point in a relationship did they think it was OK to have sex. The majority of men said on the fourth or fifth date; women said between the first and second.

The roles have become reversed. And it’s confusing men.

Still looking, I know there is a better, and funnier, less academic definition for this one, but here is the academic version for all you sissies on this thread!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
[edit on 1-6-2010 by mooseinhisglory]

link   

link   
Or better yet, "Menergy"

www.stylelist.com...

Metrosexuality is so five minutes ago; today it's all about "menergy." Right now the days of men taking more time in the bathroom and dressing better than women are over. These days the testosterone meter is set on high and the 'man's-man' is here to stay.

Fashion pro Robert Verdi says, "[it's] a return to real men." Amen to that Robert! I am sick of seeing men sitting next me to at the nail salon.

And my favorite comment from that page! AHHAHAHAHA, so true!

The only problem here is that those who invent the terminology tend to be men who really like men. So, i don't think their opinion can really be counted as a barometer of what men are.

link   
We have enough "masculine" people. They are out there starting and fighing illegal wars, killing animals inhumanely for food, eating food from animals killed inhumanely, taking over and exploiting natural resources, consuming these natural resources at ever-increasing rates, and gambling other peoples money to gain more and more.
There is no natural law dictating how each gender should act. Our genes are constantly trying new things out. Maybe they are finally weeding out aggression. Id be ok with that.
As far as china goes, I think its funny that they are indoctrinating their children in such an extreme fashion as they come to a higher postion in the world power hierarchy. Sure you guys like what they are doing now, but just wait till these "men" start promoting their ideas around the world the way we do. Maybe they will grow up tough enough to tolerate an everlasting war too.
Edit: sry for the triple post...ATS is weird on my phone sometimes.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
As far as I understand this relatively new meme, the term "Metrosexuality" is something of a misnomer as it is not a form of sexuality, and metrosexuals are not synonymous with asexuality. As I understand it, Metrosexuality is a term used to describe men - usually heterosexual men - who demonstrate a regard for their aesthetic appearance in line with the stereotypical perception of aesthetic choices made by homosexual men, based on society's stereotypical perception thereof. Some people regarded as metrosexual might be asexual. Some might be heterosexual. The term originally implied, to use a colloquialism, "straight men who dress and act like (stereotypically) gay men."

Metrosexual

I personally do not acknowledge or believe in metrosexuality as a legitimate form of sexuality and view it merely as the intersection between 1) homosexuality stereotypes embraced by society, and 2) an upswing in heterosexual male vanity. That's just my personal opinion, however, not a fact, and I am not asserting it as a fact. I do not personally delineate between heterosexuals and so-called metrosexuals.

I do however wish all people - heterosexual males, homosexual males, bisexual males, and women of all walks of life - could all exist with less emphasis on their aesthetic appearance, though, and less assumptions predicated upon it.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Lol, don't judge a book by it's cover. When i was doing martial arts there was a guy who wore makeup and happily admitted to dressing up at weekends in female attire. That guy held high grades in karate, jujitsu, combat judo and a number of other arts. He practised them all full contact and i rarely got the upper hand with him. I mean ok he had 5 years more training than me but i was very good and he kicked my ass often.

Wearing makeup doesn't make you a wimp, just like being a football player doesn't make you strong. I am a geek, i look like a complete geek, i like being a geek but i am well schooled in martial arts, mostly full contact stuff. I have faced down guys with basebats and won, i have been attacked with a knife and i have won, i have taken on multiple opponents and won. The guy with the bat broke my ribs and i still beat him.

The idea that wearing makeup, being a bit geeky or anything else makes you a wimp is utterly stupid.

EDIT

I also hunt pretty regularly. I have shot deer, pigeons, rabbits and other things. I skin and eat them. I practice bushcraft skills regularly blah blah etc. Yet i look like a complete geek, because i am one!

Seriously man you can be obsessed with your looks and still be a tough guy, not that i care much about looks but i'm defending others that do.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mooseinhisglory

We have enough "masculine" people. They are out there starting and fighing illegal wars, killing animals inhumanely for food, eating food from animals killed inhumanely, taking over and exploiting natural resources, consuming these natural resources at ever-increasing rates, and gambling other peoples money to gain more and more.

Wrong! On all counts! Country folks do not kill inhumanely. That is the commercialized slaughter houses run for the non-masculine types that just want to see a pretty steak or burger, they don't want any remnant of the animal it came from.

I know an avid hunter that once spent two days tracking a deer because as he shot it with an arrow, the deer turned its head and got his right square in the nose. Not fatal at all, but very painful and would have caused a slow agonizing death. Instead of waiting for the next deer, the guy spent 2 days tracking the smallest of blood trails to finally kill that deer so it wouldn't suffer!

Country folks don't consume natural resources. They live among them. City folks consume. They don't grow, chase, or manufacture anything, they only consume it.

Gambling other peoples money? What country boy ever became a Wall Street Banker? No thank you, we don't want your money! Hell, we don't even play the lottery! Why give away a hard-earned dollar for a tiny chance at winning a life we aren't sure we even want? Worse yet, why let that dollar fall into the hands of some freeloader hanging out at the C-store just scrounging for a hand out? I think I'll keep my dollar and you can keep yours!

I think you confuse masculinity with greed. Masculinity means taking care of your own people. Taking care of yourself. Being responsible. Being upright and moral. Being more concerned with earning a living than how you look doing it!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What's funny is that the metrosexual male has always been around. The 18th and 19th centuries called them dandies; young men who were overly concerned about their clothes, their hair, gossip, flirtations.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Look here, most normal people don't give a carp about who's gay or bi or whatever. We just wish you would STFU about it.
Please quit prancing this "I'm GAY" banner around, and you would find that nobody pays any attention to you. I know that's not what you want; but at least mean people would not be looking at you all funny. Don't display, and you'll be OK.!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The OP made me laugh.

But I do have an opinion - and it's not a cultural, Oprah-like, heart-warming opinion either. It's an opinion on my perceived observations of reality.

There's a fundamental, recurring property in the universe both micro and micro alike. And this property is called POLARITY.

Ancient Asian people going back to antiquity understood this profoundly and embodied it in the yin-yang symbol. The yin-yang symbol is tantamount to the symbology of balance.

Therefore, my OPINION, is that if you start usurping that balance (up, down; left, right; masculine, feminine) by bleeding demarcations, the "universe" will only try and straighten itself out again by correcting for the imbalance.

I understand there are things out there like frogs that can change sexes and all sorts of other situations that may counter my opinion. But I believe it's this polarity that is a universal fundamental that human beings are trying to fight against - for some reason - and my belief is, for better or worse, that if you start arguing with the universe, you WILL lose.

If you have the penis, you are the hunter.

If you have the vagina you are the gatherer.

Start bleeding these roles and dissolving the natural polarity, and you wind up with a lot of confusion, cultural problems and hate (due to ignorance)...sorta like we have...you know, today.

This does not mean I endorse or condemn homosexuality. In fact, I believe homosexuality is a result of this polarity self-correction in action. I can't prove it, but my gut tells me that our DNA is hardwired for internal population control. A homosexual couple cannot intrinsically reproduce - but they can adopt an existing human being. A win-win if you ask me personally.

Wow...guess I felt like having diarrhea of the brain...oh well, take it as you will and try not to take it too seriously.

*shrug*

edited for typo

[edit on 1-6-2010 by guavas]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Actually an interesting thread and not so clear what's masculine from the posts. I agree that American culture and society has been too hard on boys. Schools ban games like cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, but some version of these games is central to the instincts of males. The trick is to nurture CORRECTLY, which is to say nurture and respect their true nature as boys -- don't baby them.

Society must learn to honor what makes us different sexes and stop trying to make the term "equal" mean alike. Sure, we are equal in terms of societal value and human worth, but we are not alike. Study after study reveals important differences, both pyschological and physiological. We process shapes, number, field of view...and even body fat somewhat differently.

As male, boys need to be taught concepts like honor, self-respect, sportmanship (how to deal with loss and how to win with grace). Our competitive spirits should be nurtured. We should be challenged physically.

But no where here am I encouraging we go back and allow and reward bullies or teach guys to become pricks who abuse women. Nothing about "masculine" implies boorishness, uncuthness, pugnacity and violence.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Seems to me the only thing that's at risk of going extinct is logical an unbiased thinking.

People are getting so emotinally worked up over this topic i just don't get it. Why do any of you CARE??? Who cares. Really?? How does this effect you?? Are you secretly wanting to go get you eyebrows waxed?? Are you looking for acceptence?? Do you want us to tell you it's going to be ok?? WTF??

To all those people crying about men being soft. Suck it up and get over it.

To all those people crying about men not respecting their choices suck it up and get over it.

People are always going to disagree on things. What the hell are you arguing about?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Irony..I love it. What if I said to all those people crying about men being too mean and strong? Suck it up and get over it?

Just playing devil's advocate. I have no emotional interest or tie the topic.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Hell, I am trying to raise my girls to be tough too. Nothing worse than a preening, dainty, afraid-of-her-shadow and can't-get-wet woman. Makes me think of my ex (I think I am breaking out in hives). She was an expert at excuses and victim-hood. My fiance, by contrast is drop dead gorgeous (looks like a strong Terri Hatcher) without makeup and can wake and get out of the house as fast as I. She is strong as hell (champion grade skier, deep water scuba certified, lettered in two sports). She never complains, never nags and loves the outdoors. Jackpot!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfwood290
YAY! It's my turn to talk now.

All I want to say is that China is going in the right direction. Other countries should follow their example. Sissy boys are just a disgusting sight to witness.

MEN WEARING PINK SHIRTS??

LOL

Look in the mirror again. What color is that? PINK! YOU'RE WEARING PINK, MAN!

Do you honestly believe that wearing a pink shirt somehow makes you weaker?

What colour shirt makes you stronger?

I have a pink t'shirt and have on at least one occasion even worn eye liner on a night out. You could stick me in a little pink dress and I'd still be able to handle myself in a fight, following years of dong thia kick boxing and weight lifting. Not that i would wear a little pink dress unless I was doing it for a laugh but i hope you get my point.

www.youtube.com...

that was not me btw

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by guavas

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Irony..I love it. What if I said to all those people crying about men being too mean and strong? Suck it up and get over it?

Just playing devil's advocate. I have no emotional interest or tie the topic.

the irony is in your inabilty to read something without seeing what you want to see.

I also said for those crying about men not respecting their choices. I didn't emphasize people being harshe or critical because I didn't see it as such. But I was reffering to both parties. It is always better to look before one leaps. Just saying.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join