It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent design to be taught in Queensland schools under national curriculum

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by Phlegmi

You want to then explain to me how a bacterial flagellum could have evolved into existence considering the fact that it can not function nor operate without all of its parts, most of which are not found in other cellular structures?

I suggest you read some Richard Dawkins books. Well all but the last which is a bit of a tirade against religion.

He explains 'problems' like this very well.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Great, keep the Bibles fear mongering going.
Are we ever going to "evolve"

Baby being baptized, while pastor rubs holy water on top of Baby's head, a little Girl asks her Father "Why is that man brainwashing that Baby?"

Words of Wisdom

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
How predictable.
Didn't take long for this to start deteriorating into an arguement between supporters of Creationism / Intelligent Design / Evolution etc rather than seeing the bigger picture outside of their own pre-concieved ideas.

It is about educating children and encouraging them to think for themselves, question things and formulate their own opinions.

Atheists and Theists, two sides of the same bigotted coin!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

Originally posted by Darkrunner
I see no problem with it as long as it's part of a comprehensive package of possible explanations.

Mankind is not long out of the ape stage. Our 'science' can't explain the origin of the big bang, can't come up with a unified field theory, can't tell how many other dimensions the universe holds, can't cure countless diseases, hasn't mastered space flight yet, haven't figured out how to stop destroying our planet but......

...we sure as hell know there is no god! Our science is that good!

Let me tell you something. The man who says there is no god is just as stupid as the man who says there is. Neither has proof of anything.

For the hundred billionth time, evolution has nothing to do with either christianity, god, or the creation of life. You're thinking of Atheism. That is not taught in schools.

I was referring to the concept of intelligent design, and how people dismiss it out of hand as if we, with our primative understanding of science, know everything there is to know about the universe and everything in it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will

Originally posted by Darkrunner
I see no problem with it as long as it's part of a comprehensive package of possible explanations.

Mankind is not long out of the ape stage. Our 'science' can't explain the origin of the big bang, can't come up with a unified field theory, can't tell how many other dimensions the universe holds, can't cure countless diseases, hasn't mastered space flight yet, haven't figured out how to stop destroying our planet but......

...we sure as hell know there is no god! Our science is that good!

Let me tell you something. The man who says there is no god is just as stupid as the man who says there is. Neither has proof of anything.

For the hundred billionth time, evolution has nothing to do with either christianity, god, or the creation of life. You're thinking of Atheism. That is not taught in schools.

Evolution is based on the life works of tens of thousands of dedicated scientists who have all pitched in with research for over a hundred years, slowly accumulating a vast body of research that fits PERFECTLY with the theory of evolution. There is no controversy with evolution. It is a proven fact.

I see that this course is being offered under Controversies in Ancient History. I can understand it being discussed if it's supposed to be a counter to Abiogenesis, which is not proven yet. But Abiogenesis (the theory that life arose from simple chemical processes) has NOTHING to do with evolution. So if this distinction is clearly made, I don't see a huge problem.

However, I can easily see some teacher misinterpreting the basic science involved, as several posters have already done, and think that the class is supposed to be some kind of antithesis to ToE.

Micro-evolutionary processes have been demonstrated...
...but origin has not been 'proven'.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have a small question: how do you "teach" intelligent design? "The sky is blue and pretty; the universe is big and pretty; the human body is complex and functional; all of this was created by god because otherwise it would be ugly and non-functional".

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz
I have a small question: how do you "teach" intelligent design? "The sky is blue and pretty; the universe is big and pretty; the human body is complex and functional; all of this was created by god because otherwise it would be ugly and non-functional".

They are teaching the controversy not ID as such.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join