It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright "drummers" what's the connection??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There are a LOT of drummers on ATS!! w00T! Yes, It's true, we are awesome. I just gotta wonder...why is this particular instrument so dominant in the ATS community when it comes to usernames and avatars involving drums??

I mean, I'm not going to name names here...but there are a LOT of drummers on here.
Of course, (I'm one)
... Why don't we see...."guitar2006" or "fluteplayerFTW" type usernames on here.... Or "Chello666" etc etc etc...

We drummers are quite obviously attracted to ATS, WHY? Is there something in our gene-pool that makes us question our realities???

Thanks for playing!

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Wookiep]

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
what do you call someone who hangs round with musicians?
A Drummer.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I'm some what of a drummer. I love to play, but don't own one so you make up your mind weather i am one or not lol.

I play tenor sax, guitar, sing, bass, drums, and even spoon tap (Im newfie)

Drummers are lively people, so yeah, ATS is a decent place to settle for a while.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

lol ouch.

Watch this video then tell me that mmkay?

(skip the first min if you get bored with brushes)

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Both my father and brother are drummers so I can appreciate the skill involved in the art.. A family dinner normally desends into to some type of rhythmic hammering away with knives and folks. I join in on the wine glass as cowbell.

Maybe Drummers come to ats because their views can be made without makin any noise for a change

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

A family dinner normally desends into to some type of rhythmic hammering away with knives and folks. I join in on the wine glass as cowbell.

Haha, that's cool. Star for you.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I play guitar...always liked drums but never been much good at it

Lines-Sorry

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
lol, obviously, drummers, being in the shadows of the band, slowly become self-conscious because they aren't the center of attention. then paranoid, then zeitgeist, then ATS.

i'm not a drummer, but it makes sense to me.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by shagreen heart]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
So many drummers,
We're gonna need a handicap sticker.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Drummers are misfits, musicians who don't play notes. Their views are marginal and generally ignored by the rest of musical society. They tend to be relatively poorly educated compared to other musicians. They have a reputation for being either slow-witted or insane. In either case they tend to be violent, as befits those who hit things for a living.

In short, they are perfect conspiracy theorists.

Yet all would be forgiven if only they didn't speed up. Why has the drummer not yet been born who will not speed up during the most important parts of a song?

- Guitarist

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

hahaha thanks a lot Astyanax! Tho I will admit that amateur drummers tend to speed things up... it's usually done out of bordem because the guitarist is just too damn slow...who isn't making the song *interesting* enough for their needs. :p

A more mature drummer would recognize this however, and not spoil the song with speed that isn't necessary!

W/o a drummer, there is no band...however, the guitarists are always fun to mess with, so star for you!

-Drummer

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I'm a bassist and occasional banjo player, there's other things I can do but these are my specialities. I think there's a lot of musicians here on ATS, so it might be nice to widen OPs question a bit - I think creative types are drawn to more open minded thinking and willingness to open to new ideas... for me that's one of the biggest thrills of playing with new people, hearing new things, the way people respond differently (in a jam) etc etc.

On a side note, was doing a gig once and locked my keys in the van.

It took 2 hours to get the drummer out.

Sorry.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Well I've not played in a band...not ready yet...only started playing last Easter...But all the drummers I know apart from one are defiantly mentalists

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Bongos and congas for a few years .....

Question :

Why does everybody think they can play the drums after a few beers , they never attempt to pick up a guitar .......they always stagger towards my drums !

Nightmare .

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Guitar is my first instrument but drums is what I enjoy playing when I get the choice.
Bass is second and guitar last.
I too have noticed alot of drummer names.
Djembes are fun as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I also like a good meddle on the wheels of steel....Love beat juggling and scratching

Maybe we could start a collaborative project from all the ATS musicians

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I also am a guitarist. Here's my theory as to why there are so many "drummers" on ATS:

Drummers are the centerpiece of any decent band. They set the tempo, the mood, or the groove. In the bands I have played in, I noticed there is a direct correlation between the drummer and the quirks of the band. I have worked with drummers that had poor timing, but were musical geniuses in a sense, and with precise, machine-like drummers that somehow made the band seem sort of bland. My point is, the band always ends up reflecting the traits of its drummer, which is ironic given that we always think of the front man as the "image" of the band.

This all translates very well into the ATS sub-culture. You give us a tempo, mood, and groove, and we all can reflect that and keep it rolling along.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
LOL, nice Thread. I was a drummer! Now I am a composer. Just klick on akustisches on www.pfulg.com if you want to hear my sound. I never decided for only one music style, so you may find something you like.

my lastetest track is a kind of meditation music, you can get it here for free and legal: resonanz2010.org...

But please, my work is copyrighted, so don't burn and sell it please. ^^

[edit on 1-6-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
I also like a good meddle on the wheels of steel....Love beat juggling and scratching

Maybe we could start a collaborative project from all the ATS musicians

Now that sounds like fun. It wouldn't be that hard to do with today's technology. A separate thread could be started with links to the wave files which could be downloaded into the person's musical software. People who are not musically inclined could post ideas for "lyrics." I really think you're on to something here...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Guy walks into a shop and asks:"Can I have a set of electric guitar strings, light gauge please, a dozen medium plectrums, can I get a long lead too thanks".
The shop assistant looks at the guy and replies with "You play the drums don't you?".
The guy looks shocked and says, "Yes I am! How did you know? I asked for guitar stuff!"
The shop assistant answered, "because this shop is actually a supermarket".

Taboom Tish!

I play the drums.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join