It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When China rules the world

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
On average it takes over twenty years salary for a chinese resident to buy their house. A slight tweaking of the financial markets and you've probably got half a billion desperate and homeless people. That's not a situation any government is going to want, however successful their means of control have been hitherto. The banks run China.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
We owe massive debt to China, they could destroy our economy at a whim. Without a shot even fired. Of corse I do not thing china would use this over just anything, this is an advantage they are going to hold on to.

China is not a emerging superpower, they are already there. If China got their government straight and acting more competent, it would undoubtedly be seen as the 'ideal" nation as the US and many have been seen before.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TaxpayersUnleashed

You're late to the party.
China is actually depopulating itself. Only one child replaces two parents.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I was reading another thread, and someone (sorry I can't remember the name) said "Damn it America, make me proud!".
Before that I hadn't really thought about it, but I'm 16, and I can't think of anything America has done to make me proud (in my lifetime).
What I have seen is corruption in the government and coorporations, and completely ruined welfare and healthcare systems. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-American or anything, but I'm sick of people here thinking America is the greatest nation in the world!

China is making smart choices, America is not.
Why should we be a "super-nation" and not them?

Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zamo1993

I agree with you. China is doing more then the U.S. The American people need to take charge.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

One also must understand that China's economy is, at best estimates, half the size of the U.S. economy. More sensible figures put it between a quarter and a third the size of the American economy. With those numbers, take into consideration the enormous size of their population compared to the United States, 1.3 billion and 300 million respectively.

So their economy is, at best, half the size of ours while their population is just over 4 times greater.

China is a piss poor country indeed! While China has increased it's wealth over the past 30 years, most of the population lives well below U.S. poverty levels with only a fraction (one fifth to one quarter) of their population making any economic progress.

Also, China's economic gains over the past 3 decades have been largely due to western investment, including outsourcing of jobs. This happened with Japan before China. In the 70's and 80's everything was made in Japan just like everything is made in China today. That will change in time as more business friendly labor markets open up. With the west currently experiencing its worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, you can bet "We the People" will be demanding political changes at the ballot box that will result in a business friendly environment. That alone may very well put the final nail in China's economic coffin, just as their bubble economy is about to burst. When that happens, the west will rise to prosperity again.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I've lived in Canada for most of my life. I frequently travel to the US for vacations. Great place with cool people.

I am currently living in Hong Kong. I frequently travel to China for vacations. Great place with, umm, interesting people.

In my opinion, North Americans are mostly content and this can be a negative. The Chinese are hungry (figuratively) and are willing to do many things to get ahead. While it is true there are many Chinese that are poor, this is changing very quickly. The rate of progress compared to North America is staggering. And it is this rate of progress, that could enable China to surpass the US. In fact, I wouldn't be overly surprised if China has already surpassed the US.

P.S.
Don't believe the media when it's reporting on another country. Then again, don't believe the media when it's reporting on it's own country...

P.P.S.
Food for thought. A few years ago, I could trade $100 HKD (Hong Kong Dollars) for $105 RMB (Chinese Renminbi). Today, I'd be happy if I could trade $100 HKD for $90 RMB. By the way, the HKD and USD have a linked exchange rate (7.85:1).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join