It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gates of Hell Just Opened In Guatemala GIANT hole forms in city

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
In my area, the county leased some property to make a water quarry. They dynamited the underground streams to change the flow of water and we were left with a sinkhole that can't be fixed, a county that is still dynamiting the area, and a 20 MPH zone that lasts for around 5 miles. These things are very real.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
For the benefit of the mindless naysayers out there, Guatemala is undermined with extensive cave systems, most of which seem to be excavated by subterranean rivers — although there are reports of volcanic caves, as well. These cave systems haven't been completely explored by a long shot.

Sinkholes of this type are not uncommon in Guatemala and Belize.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
WOW.. this hole is HUGE.. Can't see the bottom from any of the video or pictures.

I found this one that gives some closer views, and angles.. It is in the native language for the area, but.. definetly gives you some perspective on the immensity of the problem..

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

Out of curiousity, why did you label this as the "Gates of Hell"?

I mean, it's just a sink hole, albeit a flipping huge one. But where's the Hell significance? Is it boiling lava or filled with naughty demons?

[edit on 1-6-2010 by noonebutme]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Call Marcus Fenix.

Them Locusts have arisen.

Seriously though, I can't believe how smooth the edges look, like it was tunnelled out or something.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Hell is supposed to be in a pit under the Earth.

The pit has been opened.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This is incredible I can't even imagen somthing Like that happening...that's the power of mother nature

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Here's a little map I just threw together of known caves in Guatemala...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57cb618b245e.gif[/atsimg]

The red stars only represent the approximate locations of the caves, which, as you can see, define a massive system. The largest cavern in the Western Hemisphere is found in Guatemala, although it's called the Belize Cavern.

Now, those are just the known caves, which are part of the extensive cave systems beneath Guatemala/Belize, formed by subterranean water action. The true extent of the systems is unknown, but I have no problem imagining that it could extend West out to or beyond Guatemala City.

Obviously, because other lethal sinkholes have occurred in Guatemala City in the past, there's some powerful subsidence in the area, driven by subterranean rivers and aggravated by heavy storms.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jdkinder

I don't know if it's really the power of mother nature or the fact they we are building on ground that we assume is solid. The whole area down there is criss crossed with caves. They build an apartment complex on top of one these babies BAM!

[edit on 1-6-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Well, the problem in Guatemala City is that it is largely constructed on top of volcanic ash that is over a hundred feet deep in some places. When they get big storms off the Gulf or out of the Pacific, their drainage and sewer systems frequently rupture, and the resulting leaks eat away at the city's substructure until the streets cave in.

However, in the case of the 2007 Guatemala City Sinkhole, which killed three people (including 2 children), you're talking about one hell of a sewer leak...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c15713d65edf.jpg[/atsimg]

Now, that was in 2007. Here's a picture of the current Guatemala City abyss, which opened up in an intersection and killed one man...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e75ecc1b6465.jpg[/atsimg]

To my eyes, these don't look like the result of sewer leaks. Rather, it looks like a deep subterranean river displaced sufficient volcanic ash beneath the city, and a whole gigantic column of ash went straight down the drain in both cases.

What lesson do we draw from the events?

DO NOT go shopping for real estate in Guatemala.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cygnis
WOW.. this hole is HUGE.. Can't see the bottom from any of the video or pictures. I found this one that gives some closer views, and angles.

That's a video of the 2007 sinkhole.

—Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
''LOCUSSSSSSST!!!

AAA NOT A AGAIN!

QUICK DOM TROW A NADE IN IT!''

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

perhaps it is a gift, won't ever have to worry bout a tsunami, straight down the plughole.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Makes me wonder how this sinkhole would have been described in biblical times, probably something akin to the OP's title.

And is there record of sinkholes happening throughout history or is this a new phenomenon?

brb...going to do some research

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Limegreen
And is there record of sinkholes happening throughout history or is this a new phenomenon?

Oh, yeah, subsidence and sinkholes are part of geology, they've been happening since Day One on Earth. And these Guatemalan holes aren't even particilarly big as sinkholes go.. For example, the massive "Cave of Swallows" in Mexico (over 400 meters deep) makes these Guatemalan sinkholes look like nothing. You can go base jumping in the Cave of Swallows, jump in and freefall for 12 whole seconds.

All perfectly natural...except for the defective mammals that go jumping into these tremendous pits.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by Limegreen

Oh, yeah, subsidence and sinkholes are part of geology, they've been happening since Day One on Earth. And these Guatemalan holes aren't even particilarly big as sinkholes go.. For example, the massive "Cave of Swallows" in Mexico (over 400 meters deep) makes these Guatemalan sinkholes look like nothing. You can go base jumping in the Cave of Swallows, jump in and freefall for 12 whole seconds.

All perfectly natural...except for the defective mammals that go jumping into these tremendous pits.

— Doc Velocity

Yes yes yes. Doesn't matter though, the even in itself is awe inspiring no matter what you compare it to. Serves as a reminder that the earth is far more powerful than we could ever be.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This hole is 330 feet deep. The equivelent to a football field deep plus 10 yards more. I wonder how many people went down there to check it out.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That sink hole is amazing and kind of creepy at the same time. Does anyone know why the sink hole a perfrct circle?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
news report is by a normal sensationalist fool.

picture is faked. Really how hard is it to tell this is a fake picture... unless all of the peopl who post in this thread are owned by the same user....

Umm, sink holes are more common that you obviously think..

Do you think they are all photo shopped? Just askin..

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Did they send the delta team dowm there yet to tunnel rat the large gray aliens out? Phil Schneider said they live in those tunnels.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join