It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama can confiscate US privately owned guns.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I support an all out hand gun ban. We are the reason all of the countries that have banned hand guns keep having gun violence. We are the leader in arms shipment, including guns on the black market.

Care to post a reference for this statement? Or is this something you dreamed up?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 302Found

I support an all out hand gun ban. We are the reason all of the countries that have banned hand guns keep having gun violence. We are the leader in arms shipment, including guns on the black market.

Care to post a reference for this statement? Or is this something you dreamed up?

We are indeed one of the largest arms dealers in the world. Even within our nation, we have a disgusting way of handling weapons. Gun shops need STRICTER restrictions on who they sell guns to. Too many kids in Camden (NJ) are armed with rifles, shotguns and beyond due to the very easy access they have. All you have to do is go across the bridge, buy a weapon off someone who got their gun at the local shop and then bring it back to Camden to destroy lives.

Something needs to be done with gun control. The violence is getting too out of hand.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The American government will do just as the South African government did and still does. They will implement stricter "rules" to get a gun license. Making the whole process to own a gun so difficult and the people handling the applications so racist and prejudice that so little people will even bother getting a gun, or reregister their current "license"

Best thing is, the cops sell the weapons , that has been handed in "volantarily" ,back to the criminals. Then the criminals murder and rob the people that has guns left.

Best of luck USA citizens. Good thing you guys have an apparent working police system

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Who cares? What's up with this sick obsession with guns here in America? It's just a sign of a violent society, and a pretty scared one too. You don't think you can contain our government without the use of weapons? That's pretty sad.

Since we are talking about protecting the people from both themselves and others I suggest that we ban the real killer of people first. It's true that people shooting guns may kill people, but that isn't the real issue at hand. The real issue is to reduce the number of deaths. So to begin, we really need to ban... the automobile.

According to Statistics, Facts and Quotes there were 30,694 gun-related deaths in the US in 2005 vs Fatal Car Accident, Crash Statistics: Stats Auto, Traffic, Car, Collision, Traffic showing 43,443 vehicular fatalities that same year. So guns overall are about 71% as deadly as vehicles in the US.

Now, both guns and vehicles are tools that we use as part of our day. Both can be used for good or evil and both can be used to save lives or take lives. Of the two only guns can really be used to hunt for food, but I suppose you could chase down and run over a burglar although that's not a good idea.

So the question has to be asked..are you anti gun or anti senseless death? If you are anti senseless death, then I stand with you and will support a gun ban as soon as a complete and total worldwide vehicle ban has been completely implemented. If you only support a gun ban, then you are promoting the real senseless death afforded by the true killer of people and in my opinion are a crackpot with very tenuous attachment to the real world.

I think many of the visitors to ATS will also stand with you for a gun ban, as soon as the worldwide ban on all automobiles has been implemented. Until that point, I'll keep my not so lethal guns.

..Ex

edit to add
Also can we please stop using Wikipedia as a source. It is not a source, when used for any university paper anywhere you will fail for citing it. You may as well be quoting a post on ATS if your using Wikipedia as a source.
..ex

[edit on 6/1/2010 by v3_exceed]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Obama can sign anything he wants, any treaty he wants to sign. However, unless it is ratified by the US congress, it will never fly, as it is the US congress that has final say over any and all treaties that are enforced in the US. So, yes he can sign the UN treaty, but if the congress vetos it, then it is worth about as much as the wrap on fresh fish. Sides something tells me they moment they start to collect guns from lawful owners, the phrase, "From my cold dead hands." Will become a ralling cry.

besides that, even if congress ratified the treaty, they would first have to pass a constitutional amendment declaring the second amendment null and void and as you said, if you want my gun pry it from my cold dead fingers would not only become a rallying cry it would become a reality, a reality that the fed doesn't even want to think about, their total of 2.5-3 million troops deployed all over the world is nothing compared to 80 million armed americans saying take my guns only barrel first with gunpowder exploding and projectiles flying. IOW take them at your own peril...

Jaden

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by azrael36

And who says the govt is better armed than its citizens are?

[edit on 1-6-2010 by azrael36]

The military does....

Weapons of the US Military

Vehicles of the US Military

Aircraft of the US Military

Got a few A-10's in the house these days do ya?

Look I don't agree that the guns should be taken but I am sorry...if you think we can beat the US military in a battle with our AK-47's and M-16's..well that would be an interesting fight.

I know...I know...we beat the redcoats with like 3 people compared to their billion

The redcoats had guns and cannons...so did we

Now we as the militia men have rifles and mortar tubes...they have A-10's, M1A1 Abrams and CBU/GBU. If you don't see an SORELY one-sided fight there then you'll have to pardon me while I take a step or 5000 back when this firecracker of a battle goes off.

If they wanted to pry the guns out of our fingers they would do it despite the machismo we think we have because we have a basement full of semi, burst and full-autos.

AK47 vs A-10 Warthog....awesome

M-16 on full-auto vs BLU-82B...I'll make my wager

Not saying it would come to that but I gotta abimt I am very curious about something. What makes gun-owners think they can beat the US military? I am a gun owner and I am pretty sure even if I became a crack shot, my .40 would do next to nothing to the arsenal at their disposal.

Sorry...it really get's me interested when we think some private militia will win this.

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Looks like round two of the guns & ammo sales-through-fear campaign is here. Remember when ammo was going out of stock due to high demand last year? Record sales at gun shops? And yet Obama never took your guns away.

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Beanie Babies? They sold out too, just because someone decided they were rare & valuable & used clever word-of-mouth advertising.

This story has been floating around for months now, and is no closer to reality now than it was when it began.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I don't know...how have things worked out for the US with all these high tech weapons in Iraq? Afghanistan? Vietnam?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Glad you finally figured that out! In refrence to the thread tho i come from a place where guns are handed down from grandfather to father to son to son etc etc so they are not registered or anything that would make them able to be tracked. So unless Mr. Obama (or a few men working for an un-named agency) want to come get them they are not getting their grubby hands on my guns (in stereotypical redneck voice)...plus when that happens im hittin the hills to Red Dawn it out, WOLVERINES!!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I definitely don't agree with obama's gun safety policies. In CA, the limits on what you can own and the ten round clip maximum are ridiculous.

even worse is the self-defense law. if you shoot an intruder in your home, they can sue you!

I understand a world with no guns, hell, it's a beautiful thing to think about. However, we're way too far away from that. That's just a dream concept at best.

I also don't understand why we need such strict gun laws when the people who misuse or intend to misuse these guns don't follow the law anyway!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by piddles
I definitely don't agree with obama's gun safety policies. In CA, the limits on what you can own and the ten round clip maximum are ridiculous.

even worse is the self-defense law. if you shoot an intruder in your home, they can sue you!

I understand a world with no guns, hell, it's a beautiful thing to think about. However, we're way too far away from that. That's just a dream concept at best.

I also don't understand why we need such strict gun laws when the people who misuse or intend to misuse these guns don't follow the law anyway!

Obama is not, nor has he ever been, Governor of the State of California. You must be confusing him with The Terminator.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

yyyyyyeah dude I know. I didn't mean to imply that obama made these laws, more like he would like similar regulation nationwide, if not more. The last part of my post is what's important.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Banning guns in the United States will do nothing but Increase the number of owners.

Whether we like to admit it or not, our own government is responsible for our gun crimes because they provide the model for our kids to follow.

1. The manufacturers produce guns for the military

2. The CIA sells them to combatant countries either for money or drugs to be imported to the streets.

3. These newly U.S. bought weapons support global terrorism, civil wars and all out massacres, depending on which factions the CIA want to see in power.

4. These same weapons obtained by drug cartels are brought back into the States and distributed to the black market. (as well as a little leaked out to the market by the CIA directly)

5. Gangs purchase these weapons and imitate the attitudes and actions of those involved in these conflicts.

6. Citizen outcry against gun violence

7. Legislation to prevent gun violence by removing LEGAL citizen weaponry from law abiding people who have committed no crime other than some back yard target practice once every six months.

Education is the key to stopping gun violence, not banning it. If I wanted to buy any illegal weapon I can tell you with 100% confidence I know of at least four people who could get me anything from a clean un-traceable handgun to a grenade launcher, assault rifles or a squad automatic weapon.

I am a law abiding citizen, I own a twelve gauge remington shotgun and one pistol for home protection. I hardly ever fire them unless there are some pesky woodchucks in my yard that need to disappear.

My parents raised me to respect guns and the dangers they posess. I was in the boy scouts and attended several gun safety courses. Even unloaded I treat my guns like they are loaded. If someone were to break into my house I would try and wound them first before outright killing them unless fired upon with a gun and I was forced to defend myself.

I am an educated law abiding citizen of the United States and I understand right from wrong, my parents made sure of that. Education is the key to stopping gun violence. Most gun violence is done out of desperation or the need for acceptance, not out of pure hate for fellow man.

Gangs are a plague upon our country and have proven to be the biggest supply of violent gun crimes, however if their parents weren't drug addicted, adopted, single parent or poverty income families I'm sure they would be just as respectful of human life and gun ownership as the rest of us.

We must ban the violence within the individual, not the tools they choose to use.

King

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Kingalbrect79]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Signing this treaty should be considered treason as it violates our constitution.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The only problem with all of this gun banning stuff is that once you do that the only people it will affect is the upstanding good people. There will still be people breaking into homes, robbing stores, banks, etc etc with guns because of the simple fact they are criminals. So once you outlaw guns it will be just like anything else they outlaw...booze, drugs, etc etc they will find a way. It would put everyone who wanted to defend themselves or their family at a very big disadvantage. So i certainly think its a stupid idea

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Who cares? What's up with this sick obsession with guns here in America? It's just a sign of a violent society, and a pretty scared one too. You don't think you can contain our government without the use of weapons? That's pretty sad.

Well, I care. Thanks for asking.

Sick obsession? Do you realize if it weren't for the simple fact that americans have been armed since day one, we would still be subjects of the King/Queen of England.

It has nothing to do with fear, it has everything to do with confidence. Fear is the feeling you get when you hear someone in your house and you realize your little baseball bat isnt going to cut it. Confidence is when you rack a shell into your shotgun while exclaiming "you have 3 seconds to get the eff out of my house!!"

Gun ownership in my opinion, is one of our greatest freedoms, it allows us to make our own destiny, as well as protect our loved ones and our property.

The founding fathers instilled our rights, but it was men like Colt and Winchester that made sure they were secured.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie
Signing this treaty should be considered treason as it violates our constitution.

Not true....he can sign it all day. It just cant supercede the constitution. So no matter what he does, it is still a secondary law.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Your arguments have been proven wrong over & over again.

Gun Facts 5.1 PDF

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I will bet anyone that Obama is not going to handle anyone's gun. Why would a president go to your house to get your gun? He would have someone else do it.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

... and when they decide that taking your handguns isn't enough, and they go for your rifles and shot guns, then that's not enough and they take your bows and arrows too.
Give them an inch and they'll take a mile along with the rest of your possessions.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join