It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The biggest conspiracy in relegion is.....YOU!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
wiki.answers.com...

How many people believe in God worldwide?

As of 2005 (most recent data), approximately 88 percent of the world's population were said to "believe in God" (Cambridge University). This is down from 96 percent in 2000. In the United States, 95 percent of the population "believe in God."

how many has actually read the bible from front to back?
healtheland.wordpress.com...

Less than 10% of Professed Christians have read the entire Bible!

It takes an individual of average reading ability 90 hours to read the entire Bible. That is one hour a day for 3 months, or one half hour a day for 6 months, or 15 minutes a day for 12 months. Most people make New Year’s resolutions. Here is one for you with eternal rewards and will be more valuable than losing 10 pounds that you will just put back on. Carve out one hour, 30 minutes, or 15 minutes every day starting January 1st and start reading at Genesis 1:1. One hour, 30 minutes, or 15 minutes, you choose. I suggest that for those 90 days, or 6 months, or the next 12 months, you get up that amount of time earlier than normal and do it the very first thing. Trust me

So it look's like we have alot of people following a crowd.
And that is a conspiracy if ya ask me.
If only 10% have read the bible..why in 2005 did 88% and in 200 95% in the world believed in god?
word of mouth ?perhaps.

Americans are at 20%
www.theologicalstudies.org...
still a bad ratio .

Bible Ownership Most Americans own a Bible. In fact, 92% of households in America own at least one copy. Of those households that own a Bible, the average number of Bibles is three. This includes not only the homes of practicing Christians but hundreds of thousands of atheists as well. 2 Bible Reading Although most Americans own a Bible, use of the Bible varies significantly. In a poll taken by the Gallup Organization in October, 2000, 59% of Americans reported that they read the Bible at least occasionally. This is down from 73% in the 1980s. The percentage of Americans who read the Bible at least once a week is 37%. This is down slightly from 40% in 1990. 3 According to the Barna Research Group, those who read the Bible regularly spend about 52 minutes a week in the scriptures. 4 Barna, "The Bible," data is from 1997. Which gender is more faithful at reading the Bible at least weekly? The prize goes to the women. Women (42%) are more likely than men (32%) to have read the Bible in the past week. What version do people prefer? As of 1997, those who read the Bible preferred the King James Version to the New International Version by a 5 to 1 margin. 5

[edit on 31-5-2010 by TheAmused]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
What is the conspiracy?

That people are religious but haven't taken the time to actually read the bible?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Only ten percent? Makes sense. If more believers read the Bible there would be less believers - some of what's in there just boggles the mind.

Back when I was a believer I never read the whole thing mainly because I skipped over the genealogies, I just don't care who begets who and its an exceedingly boring part. But I did read the rest of it, including the book of Job, a real puzzler for anyone claiming God is omnibenevolent. And Song of Solomon, an epic poem of lust smack dab in a Bible that condemns lust in other places.

Many Christians who've read the Bible understand its flaws and admit to them - we need more educated believers like that, not just 10% educated and 90% sheep.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Hmm. I am agnostic. I have read the entire Bible twice. And I am the biggest conspiracy in religion?

Whaaa?

Are you saying that it's a conspiracy that so many people have Bibles because they think they should, but don't read them? The mass sales of the Bible is the conspiracy?

[edit on 1/6/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
It is unwise to insist upon a literal interpretation of figurative statements of which the inaccuracy may, at any moment, be rendered evident by the progress of scientific discovery; but the fundamental propositions of religion, so far from having anything to fear from the discoveries of science, are strengthened and ennobled by being brought into harmony with those discoveries. And it is only when the religious sentiment shall have been enlightened by its union with scientific truth that religious belief, thus rendered invulnerable to the attacks of skepticism, will take the place of skepticism in the minds and hearts of men.
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Hey you know what? That sounds suspiciously just like a book. In fact it sounds like "The Spirit's Book" by Allen Kardec, 2006. Even more specifically from page 82 of that book. Word for word.

Some coincidence Huh??

Google books

Check your first paragraph against the last paragraph on page 82. Weird huh?

I won't say any more than that, as I don't want to outright "slander" you, but I think you get my point.

Sorry, but that just really chafes me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Here is someone who has read zero percent of the Bible.

Conspiracy?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I see that you are on ATS now...could you let me know if my first reply to you was on the right track?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Hmm. I am agnostic. I have read the entire Bible twice. And I am the biggest conspiracy in religion?

Whaaa?

Are you saying that it's a conspiracy that so many people have Bibles because they think they should, but don't read them? The mass sales of the Bible is the conspiracy?

Pretty much.
I will use myself as a example.
A god Fearing person..that try's to do AKA right in life.
was raised up that there is a god..not allowed to question him..or we go to hell basically.
So like all kid's and young adult's other crap in life seemed more interesting football dating ect..
So i took it in good fath my mother and father read the Bible..and they would never lie to me..he must exist.
Then it dawned on me i bet they never read the bible all the way threw just like me.
i was right..they didnt.

And 90% of the poster's that bash or stand up for the bible...has not read it to even be in the talk.
It's ignorance to argue a subject when you just know key part's in the bible.

And yes the sale's of bible's in all the americans home's and only 10% have read them.
they have been rammed down our throat's our be the Gospel truth.
we go to a hotel the Gideon bible in the draw.
we can't escape it.

My main beef is how can so many people debate the bible and yet so many has not even read it cover to cover?

And how can one be so religious and hasn't even read the word of god in the bible?

Heck i bet at least 25% of the people in church's that go every sunday hasnt read the book all the way yet.
yet they still go...

just all seems dang odd to me...and conspiracy worthy.

and yes WE me and you and the rest of everyone reading this post is part of the biggest conspiracy in religion.

half asleep posting....so bare with me lol

[edit on 1-6-2010 by TheAmused]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
www.christianbook.com...
ave price for a bible is 29 dollars.
www.google.com...
307,006,550 people live in the usa.

92% have a bible in there home in america.

Do the math i can't even add up that high.
for a book they never read..it sits there to look pretty.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Thanks for your answer.

I agree that it doesn't make any sense for someone to defend, attack, or try to knowledgably discuss something that they haven't even read or studied.

It sounds like a lot of people argue about what they THINK is in the Bible but, some of the facts are a bit twisted and skewed. Sometimes completely way off base from what the BOOK says.

I'm not trying to lump everyone together, just making an observation of what some seem to do.

Others here on ATS are very well versed (no pun intended) in the Bible, though.
I guess I agree with you to a point in that I don't think a sweeping statement can apply to everyone.

I guess it's a little ironic maybe that as an agnostic, I have read the Bible twice. Some parts many times.

But from reading it, I know more surely that I just don't know for sure.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

And some day soon his dad may be unable to provide for and protect his cripled son... he will be forced to abandon him or die with him. As long as our boat stays afloat keeping a genetically crippled fetus seems feisable.

Everyone of you religious people carry these horribly crippled people on a pedistal because they are the cornerstones of a faithfilled life..... Your all going to be very horribly dissapointed.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
It is unwise to insist upon a literal interpretation of figurative statements of which the inaccuracy may, at any moment, be rendered evident by the progress of scientific discovery; but the fundamental propositions of religion, so far from having anything to fear from the discoveries of science, are strengthened and ennobled by being brought into harmony with those discoveries. And it is only when the religious sentiment shall have been enlightened by its union with scientific truth that religious belief, thus rendered invulnerable to the attacks of skepticism, will take the place of skepticism in the minds and hearts of men.
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Hey you know what? That sounds suspiciously just like a book. In fact it sounds like "The Spirit's Book" by Allen Kardec, 2006. Even more specifically from page 82 of that book. Word for word.

Some coincidence Huh??

Google books

Check your first paragraph against the last paragraph on page 82. Weird huh?

I won't say any more than that, as I don't want to outright "slander" you, but I think you get my point.

Sorry, but that just really chafes me.

Lol, damn!!! That is insane nice catch Chamber. Shame on you Shadow, shame on you.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FearfulButInterested

LOL thanks. That kind of crap make me a tad miffed.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm kinda lost in this thread.

I am the biggest conspiracy in religion....How?

I have read the Bible several times over, the parts that really interested me, I've actually read and studied quite a few times.

I am a Christian, and try to do the best in my walk with God.

My question is, where's the conspiracy? To many of those that have posted here, you are right. Far too many of the "Christians" have never read the Bible threw and threw. They do little to study it except for what is spoon fed to them in Sunday School and church.

That is why as a Sunday School teacher, I push the envelope and we dig into the deep and dark corners of the Bible, and I challenege my students to question and read it for themselves...don't believe anything I say.

We have looked at Ezekiel's wheel...UFO?....Behemoth=dinosaur?...the book of Enoch.... the Nephilium/Raphiam/fallen angels...of course good ol' Revelation and end times prophecy... we talk about the truth behind the pyramids...giants... Noah's Ark origins in Sumeria... who are the watchers...and Elohim?...

I have caused some in our church to question and challenge us and our lessons...but hey, it's in the Bible...what can they say?

Before I go, one of my favorite "discoveries" is about Elisha...apprentice to Elijah. After Elijah ascended into heaven, Elisha was entering a town...the children mocked him and his tale of Elijah ascending into heaven. "Go up old man, go up." the children chided. Elisha in anger turned and cursed them... at which point, 2 she bears jumped out of the woods and mauled all 42 children.

My students loved that gem.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

In my opinion, it doesn't sound like you are one of those the OP was speaking about.
You have bought a Bible yes, maybe several. But you have READ the Bible too, I think the people he was talking about bought the Bible (s) but haven't read it.

top topics

join