It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US activist loses eye after being shot in face with tear gas canister

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathwa

You make an excellent point, and I would concurr with you 100%. No I would not go over there and start crap, because I do not have a death wish. But that still does not make it ok for all of those countries to act like thugs either.

I agree with you, but I'm sure these activists wanted to make a point by pulling into port without Israel checking their cargo. Even Egypt gave the offer to move the supplies for them, but then we all know that the supplies had nothing to do with why the flotilla was there.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by deccal

Originally posted by Xtrozero

What part of the Middle East is not "tyrannical, genocidal, and overly aggressive"?

Sure there is no western democracy in ME. But what part is genocidal? Could you enlighten us with some facts?

Not really my words, just copy and paste.... but Iraq has been, (wanted/tried to wipe the Kurds out, and secular violence would sure have been if we left there)... I don't really find the Jews genocidal though.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
My two cents........
Everyone should have the right to protest. The key is how you protest.
When the Japanese Whaling ship ran into the activist boat a couple of years ago the activist tried to make a big stink over it. But they, like this girl losing her eye, put them selves in that situation.
The situations we put ourselves in, just for a moment, can change our lives forever.
In short she should be very happy they were shooting tear gas canisters and not 50 calibre rounds.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A few days ago i read about a study on Empathy and how it had declined (a lot) amongst students in the last 50 years.
And the recent comments in this and other threads confirm this trend. It is for me very saddening to see the deal of de-sensibilization amongst the population.
The fact that our compassion is so tightly bond to our particular view of the world (be it religious, political, etc) should be a serious cause of concern for everyone that prides on being Moral.
How can someone choose when to be compassionate in front of Injustice or Suffering is beyond my understanding...

How far are we from the Greatness of Ghandhi or that Jesus guy everyone talks about so much...

And above all it is painfull to witness the murder of Solidarity as a Universal Concept.

It'll cost us more than blood and tears to rebuild our Humanity, to restore that which makes us sparkle, that which allow us to Create.

Drakus

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
"Addendum":
Several commenters have expressed the idea that when you involve yourself you are taking risks, which i agree with, but that doesn't preclude the fact that attacking an unarmed human being is not only wrong but also a VERY COWARD ACT. (cowardice that is generally shared between those that choose murder as a proffesion).

The people in Tianmien Square knew they were taking risks but that doesn't justify attacking them with a Tank...

The point is: Those risks they take, stem from the unfairness of what they are voicing against, not from their positive action (in a philosophical sense). That's why Democracy REQUIRES the freedom to protest to be respected.

Drakus

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
A few days ago i read about a study on Empathy and how it had declined (a lot) amongst students in the last 50 years.
And the recent comments in this and other threads confirm this trend. It is for me very saddening to see the deal of de-sensibilization amongst the population.
The fact that our compassion is so tightly bond to our particular view of the world (be it religious, political, etc) should be a serious cause of concern for everyone that prides on being Moral.
How can someone choose when to be compassionate in front of Injustice or Suffering is beyond my understanding...

How far are we from the Greatness of Ghandhi or that Jesus guy everyone talks about so much...

And above all it is painfull to witness the murder of Solidarity as a Universal Concept.

It'll cost us more than blood and tears to rebuild our Humanity, to restore that which makes us sparkle, that which allow us to Create.

Drakus

One must realize everything is done with the mindset of propaganda. In this case the foaltilla achieve their goal of making the Jews look bad, but when you stand back and see that none of the Muslin nations have ever lifted a finger to help other than to pump weapons into Gaza then we must realize the burden rest on the whole reign.

Remember that Egypt had control over Gaza for decades and they would not allow them into their country nor provide them any status. So the Muslin nations dumped it all on the Jews and sit back and say how bad the Jews are while inflaming the whole situation in the process.

I call it just another day in the Middle East and anyone that sees it different are fooled.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathwa

She is an average American, just like many of us.

Yes, an average American, just like many of us..
Hopping aboard "aid" ships sponsored by "charities" with ties to al-Qaeda and similar groups.

You do know that 80% of Americans do not have passports, don't you? This girl got her self into the mess she was in. if she didn't see this coming, she deserves what she got.

This whole thing has been a giant PR stunt. If it were really about the aid, they would have put it through proper U.N. or Israeli channels. This was about forcing Israels hand; as well as serving as a test of sorts.

Could Turkey/The Anti-Israel lobby break the blockade without involving Turkish Naval assets? Apparently not.

Try number two may involve Turkish Naval assets.

That would be a fudge-cluster of historical magnitude.

NATO would likely splinter, unless Barack Obama is who many here claim he is..

I've got a baaad feeling about this.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by i944002

she wasn't on the boat hombre...read

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by i944002

Hopping aboard "aid" ships sponsored by "charities" with ties to al-Qaeda and similar groups.

As far as I know and what my fellow ATSers have asserted, there were no ties to Al-Qaeda and similar groups, none what so ever. In fact, since Israel released all of the detained flotilla people, does'nt that further illustrate the fact that there were absolutely no ties between the flotilla and terrorist groups?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I haven't seen this thread until now! S&F

Very sad indeed! I feel bad for the girl!

God damn it! you don't shoot a young lady protester right in her face with a tear gas canister gun - bloody useless jerk!

And she loses her eye!

Pendejos!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Well, Israel does stuff like that because they know that they can get away sith it. Same as school yard bullies and abusive parents / spouses / priests. There is nothing stopping them.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Ok.
Some of you people need a serious reality check and a history lesson or two.
Here are a few things you may want to research before posting any further.
1) Who runs Gaza?
2) Is Israel the only country supporting the block aid on Gaza?
3) Why is their a block aid?
4) How many times in the past has Israel struck out with violence without being provoked?
5) In all seriousness, if you researched these questions, can you still put all of the blame on Israel? Any country in the same situation would react in a similar fashion.
Like I stated in an earlier post "the girl should be thankful it was a tear gas canister and not a 50 calibre round."
If it had been any other country she would probably have been shot or beheaded and I doubt if it would of gotten 1/10 of the media coverage.
You are thinking just the way the MSM want you to. That's why they only give you the parts of the story they want. They want you to start viewing the bad guys as good guys. They want to portray them as victims. The true story is out there. Look and see for your self.
I hate that the girl lost an eye but she carries some of the blame. She put herself in that situation.
After 9/11 I can not see why any patriotic American would be protesting the block aid.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
She wanted to see everything for herself, now she's got an eye full.
Forest Gump's mom said it the best," Stupid is, is what stupid does." If she continues to stick her nose in where it doesn't belong, she will loose that too.

Actually, she had every right to protest this. Everyone should get involved with this horrible mess.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
really saddens and angers me to see those images of her.
starting to really hate the idf...

i really think its time this conflict became a proper war at a more level playing field.

i am sure those idf soldiers would rather die fighting for and defending against an armed enemy.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join