It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiordland Photo: Moose or Deer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

New Zealand has a long-standing manmade cryptid mystery.

A group of North American moose (Alces alces), ten in number, were released in 1910 in New Zealand. They are said to still roams parts of Fiordland. Until this week, the last confirmed contact with moose was in 1952, when one was shot. But people say they are present today, despite skeptical claims otherwise.

Ken Tustin and his wife Margie, late in 2008 and early in 2009, installed a dozen digital cameras in the bush between Wet Jacket Arm and Dusky Sound. Tustin guesstimates that a population of 20 moose could be living in the area in 2010, and he’s been trying to capture one on film.

Did he succeed recently?

Is this new trailcam photo proof?

Link to image.
www.cryptomundo.com...

It could be a young moose, at least from my first hand experiences of seeing nearly a hundred different moose of all ages in the wild, in Maine and elsewhere in New England. ~ Loren Coleman, Director, International Cryptozoology Museum, Portland, Maine.

Technically moose (called elk in Europe) are deer, but when we are talking “moose” (above) versus “deer” (below), people are comparing two rather different groups of animals, of course.

Ken Tustin is careful. He said last mid-week, when the news started circulating: “Between email and telephone calls, I’ve had about 30 people contact me. About a third say ‘Congratulations, you’ve got a moose’, and the other two-thirds say ‘Look, I don’t know. It’s probably a deer, but look at that muzzle’.”

www.cryptomundo.com...
More included in the article if you want to read it.

What do you think it is?
Im not sold either way at this point.
I could see it perhaps being a young moose, but I can also see it as perhaps being a deer with its mussle shaped like that.

Cheers

[edit on 31-5-2010 by FoxMulder91]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
It worked for Horses and donkeys, succesfully creating the mule. It could also work for moose and deer. But im no zoologist

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

So you're saying it could be some type of hybrid between a mosse and a deer?

I had not thought of that, but im not sure if thats possible.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The bulbus shaped mussle certainly gives it a moose like appearance, but it would have to be very young as said.

A young North American moose calf.

Hmmm! im undecided

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Talk about "deer in the headlights" look!!

I don't know what it is...

Right now that deer/moose thing is back at his little home area trying to tell everyone about this big flashy thing he saw in the forest! "You got pictures?"

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Definately more likely to be a moose rather than a deer. I have deer wandering through my yard often, and there noses are much more slimmer, delicate somewhat, almost pointy. I live in a part of the province considered "moose country", and they have the large, thick nose like in the pic. Although the neck is usually thicker on a moose. Even the young ones. Too bad there isn't more of the body showing.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I agree with catch_a_fire - young moose calf.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios
It worked for Horses and donkeys, succesfully creating the mule. It could also work for moose and deer. But im no zoologist

I had never heard of them interbreeding, but then, I don't hang out in the woods. So, I looked it up.

www.nzwt.co.nz...
"Moose cannot interbreed with other species of deer."

Doesn't look like Bambi to me.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
100% sure that's a moose. We get them all the time around here, and that's definitely one.

top topics

join