It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT's top 10 emerging technologies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

MIT's top 10 emerging technologies

news.xinhuanet.com

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Technology Review (TR) has recently announced its top 10 picks of this year's emerging technologies.

"The TR10 are the 10 emerging technologies of the year because we say so. They are fruit of the previous year's reporting by the editors, and they inevitably reflect our emphases and biases," said the magazine's editor-in-chief Jason Pontin.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.koreaittimes.com

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If you click on the link it will take you to a page that has links with a photo of the new technology. My favorites were the portable three D, and probably the implantable electronics. Each of the technology's will have far reaching implications. Take a look at them and post which ever is your faverate, or comment on which ever one you like.

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
cool stuff. i hope there's some life extension tech.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Donnie
thanks for posting

Yes there is some cool stuff. I think the implantable micro chips will probably have part of the purpose to be for health and thus longer life.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Sweet! I can be the first to scream 666 at the implants thing

anyways yeah some of that stuff is pretty cool. wish there was a way to know what things would be scrubbed for impracticability though. I have seen many interesting and cool technologies scrapped over the years at seemingly minor reasons...but whatever I am not the scientists or whatever...and considering we live in a world of profit any technology that does not profit will not emerge...which is a large reason why i think we are still oil dependent.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

They have some pictures, but the descriptions are very sketchy.

Solar fuel -ethanol?? That seems idiotic to me. There are many technologies far more efficient for using solar power than growing corn and converting the corn to fuel. we need solar energy, more advanced battery and energy storage devices, more efficient solar cells, wind farms and other solar technologies but solar fuel just seems insanely inefficient as a technology.

Green concrete, sounds kind of stupid, the description even alludes that it may not be such a great idea.

No electronics implants for me thanks, unless I need a pacemaker for my ticker or something like that.

Stem cell research may have some implications for longevity and health, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Eventually it may pay off big bit I'm not sure we'll see that in our lifetimes.

Mobile 3D does sound cool and we'll probably actually see that one in our lifetimes.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I don't get the whole 3D hype. I don't like it in movies. I sure as heck don't want to sit around my house fighting with those ridiculous glasses. Unless they can make it where glasses are not needed, I will bet the whole thing will eventually go away.

The idea is just so cheesy. The only seemingly good aspect is adding some depth, but I don't think that is worth the extra cost of the ticket or having to wear the glasses.

I have seen 3 since the tech made a reappearance. After the third time I vowed never again. I went to take my kid to see the new Shrek movie. The 2 local theaters had nearly 10 screens dedicated just to that and ALL in 3D. I drove almost 100 miles to the nearest theater that was showing the regular version.

The tech that get my attention in this are the implants, antibodies and solar storing photovoltaics. I wish they went more in depth on these.

new topics

top topics

join