It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't people explain vid out of respect for those that can not watch them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I see alot of threads that say "watch this" or "this vid tell all" but not anything about the vid...I for one out of many can not watch vids and have to ask every time what is it about...

There should be a rule if you post a vid, out of respect for those that can not watch them give some important facts of what the vid is talking about,so the people do not have to ask.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Actually it is a rule. And people should do so out of respect. Even videos on the ATS Media Portal are not viewable by everyone.

That said, I am often guilty of the same assumption that many other users are. That a person will/can watch the video and draw their own conclusions.

Summaries are especially helpful for videos that are longer than 5 minutes in length. So let this be a reminder for everyone (myself included) to show some courtesy while posting videos to include a brief description.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Rtcctr.....

I couldn't agree more!

I note a current thread where the op posted a very silly YT UFO video & provided no explanation.

This caused significant problems in the thread, regarding which the op became very upset.

All of that could have been avoided if the op had provided useful commentary with the video he posted.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
USE THE ALERT BUTTON.

It is in violation of our TAC to simply post a video with no commentary. Threads like that will be TRASHED but, only if we know about them.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I did hit the alert button one time when a video was posted with not one single word in the post, just a video. And nothing happened, as far as I know. No mod comment, no warning, nothing. So I figured the rule wasn't really enforced and stopped trying to hit the alert button on posts like that. Maybe I should start alerting again, it is kind of annoying when someone posts a video with no description.

The member who posted the video I alerted was eventually banned but I don't think it had anything to do with that post.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

Thank you a hundred time over!

I am most likely, as I am now, at work while on ATS, and cannot view any type of video, any attempt to do so is reported immediately to moderators and could result in loss of employment.

It drives me nuts to see a juicy topic, click in and no video, no idea what is going on, of course there are quite a few members who quickly get screen shots up and let us videoless folks at least see a still of the topic or subject, and if you don't see one, usually all you need to do is ask.

S+F

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
if for some reason you are on a pc and is cant open a video which is embedded into an ATS post then it simply means your computer (A) needs severly updated (and im suprise you dont get problems just viewing ats ... like slowness) , or (B) That function has been clocked as your at school or work, and should probably wait till you are home anyway!

of course, a little blurb about the video is necesarry at all times, but not really foir people who cant see it, thats just a teese, its more so people cant just post random videos to complete pointless crap .

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

There are more reasons than just those that prevent people from watching videos. One such reason would be if a video contains copyrighted music (especially from Sony). These videos are blocked and unavailable outside the United States; even when they're embedded in an ATS post.

Also, some people simply don't choose to watch ten minute long videos, especially when it's not really known what's in it. Providing a snippet will allow a reader if a video is worth their time.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

I live in turkey where youtube is banned but there is a simple workaround for it..

for the tech-savvy, go to your network connections properties, find the tcp/ip setting. You want to "specifiy DNS"

theres 4 boxes there.. fill them with 8.8.8.8

and the one underneath, 8.8.4.4.

its googles open dns server and bypasses any restrictions the gov't may have, 99% of the time.

also if you cant view videos and if that was complicated, use a site like www.rtunnel.com to paste you rlink into that and watch it..

its pretty difficult explaining video i must say...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
if for some reason you are on a pc and is cant open a video which is embedded into an ATS post then it simply means your computer (A) needs severly updated (and im suprise you dont get problems just viewing ats ... like slowness) , or (B) That function has been clocked as your at school or work, and should probably wait till you are home anyway!

And then there are those who access ATS via mobile phone. They may have trouble viewing videos. so a description would help them.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

When you say 'commentary' that doesn't necessarily help. It should be summary. I have seen many times, especially when there is a series of videos, the poster gives their support or opposition (commentary) to what is being said or shown in the video, but not say what is being said. It would be very useful for the multi-vid posts to see video 1: summary, video 2: summary, ... .

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Again, as Springer said: If you see a thread started with just a video, alert it. It will be trashed or the OP will be messaged to edit his OP to include commentary.

Please read: Starting a New Thread?

(This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

top topics

join