It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New DARPA tech can scan eyes in a moving crowd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

New DARPA tech can scan eyes in a moving crowd

dvice.com

DARPA and Dallas's Southern Methodist University have teamed up to build a better retinal scanner. Ideally you'd want someone standing still, looking straight forward, and scan the full eye. Now? DARPA and SMU claim they could possibly scan all the eyes in an unaware crowd.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I love technology and innovations, but these kind of innovations make me wonder if we may be crossing a line. This technology makes it able to identify someone with cameras in matters of seconds, and is than able to trace this person...

Personally I would hate to be "identified" by a camera... It gives me the creeps and I'm scared for an invasion of my privacy.

dvice.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
big brother is watching you, has been for years, get used to it

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
big brother is watching you, has been for years, get used to it

Why should we get used to it, make a stand! Don't step down, don't let them win! Make a stand/Have a say. NWO are trying to take-over.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think its kinda cool.

If the scanners were connected to a database of criminals and could pinpoint say a wanted murderer in a large crowd then I think that would be a good thing.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It makes me wondered what there classified tech can do.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

just being sarcastic

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I think its kinda cool.

If the scanners were connected to a database of criminals and could pinpoint say a wanted murderer in a large crowd then I think that would be a good thing.

Fair opinion however TPTB would have to have all of our identities on a database world-wide for that to come into effect. I for one choose not to have my identity obtained by the government as I like it personal and private.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You had me really interested there for a second.

The guys at dvice appear to have reading comprehension difficulties. The project in question does NOT do retinal scans - it's an iris scanner, which is quite a bit different.

Not that it's not a pretty cool thing, but it's looking at the colored part of your eye in front, not the retina.

This is a project from DARPA's sensor fusion development group. What's COOL about it is not so much that they can see your iris. That's a natural outgrowth of what the thing does. They want to be able to place a number of low resolution cameras (or other sensor - there are projects ongoing that develop low res "radar" images for the same purpose) in an area and merge all the data together to form a very high resolution dataspace that you can "roam" in and specify various projections of to analyze.

In this case, they're using a semi-randomly placed array of low-res optical pickups that are being data-fused and the resulting high resolution data space analyzed, and in this case, they're spotting people's irises in the dataspace.

With enough cameras and data munching, you might, for example, be able to read people's fingerprints as well right off their fingertips.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Well what about just a list of known offenders then?

When you look at the stat's at how many people re-offend after being released then I dont think it would be such a bad idea to have all their eyeballs on file.

edit to add - isnt most peoples identities already on databases anyway? registering to vote etc, plus ive already had my iris scanned twice at american airports, don't they save that information? and do they pass it on to others?

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Lady_Tuatha]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
oh dear. Wait till the advertising industry get a hold of this. It'll be like the scene in minority report where billboards target you by name as you walk past....

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45

just being sarcastic

Oh right lol
I'm not one for being controlled by anyone and I always make stand for everyone and I don't take lightly to threats from the ones who think they know it all suchas government bodies/agencies you name it. I'l always have a say and make a stand because they are pushing us now a little bit too much and I don't agree with this "Big Brother Watch Scheme".

The whole reason we have law authorities on the streets everyday is to catch the criminals however TPTB are abusing technology to get all of society involved in a scam known as "Identiy Fraud" yet they have their Constitutional Laws where as the people have all their rights taken away from them and automatically except that its "for the greater good, b*ll*cks".

Talk about fear-mongering tactics its all getting a little bit too much and I'd quite happily shut-down their system IF it was controlled by a switch.

Let the people have their say whether they want all this "Big Brother Watching Scheme" its just an excuse for TPTB and a second excuse to introduce the New World Order agenda that TPTB are trying to finalise for 2012.

2012 has nothing to do with disaster's IF people actually dig-in deep they'll find that the government are not scared of what we know, they are scared of how we can prove it!

Think about it ATS a typical conspiracy website well-known for truths/lies. Its guranteed that TPTB is surfing this website yet hardly anybody goes missing because hardly anyone has proved anything.

As for an example: IF I was crazy enough to go forward and present number's/contacts/names/locations/meetings/conferences/information/times/dates all based on the same day of an event I know I would have a knock at my door.

But what would be the point in that my thread would get removed and a made up excuse that'd I'd have been post-banned only to the rest of you would believe this story because its coming straight from the mouth of a mod yet I'd go missing, my house would be black-listed and I'd go off the grid, new neighbour's move in and the old story told to my neighbour's is that a family member from the otherside of the world has died and I have taken poossession of their funds/will.

I've been relocated basically. Most people would believe a story like that. Hence the reason you should always get to know your neighbour's personally.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

Well what about just a list of known offenders then?

When you look at the stat's at how many people re-offend after being released then I dont think it would be such a bad idea to have all their eyeballs on file.

However IF TPTB did decide to go ahead with this tactic then they should ONLY use the "Criminal Database" that being said you mentioned about statistical information yet I for one don't ever believe statistical information as it goes a lot deeper than that. They know most of society will believe anything as for the whole fear-mongering motives and depneding on the circumstances of that situation it'd all be decided in the Governor's Board Administration.

At the end of the day, they're going to use it on the people, without their say.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DClairvoyant

At the end of the day, they're going to use it on the people, without their say.

That is what I fear...Almost all of the technology which is invented is uses... even though a lot of people object. It almost seams as if anything that is high tech researced just HAS to be used. No matter what the price is.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrDragonfly

Originally posted by DClairvoyant

That is what I fear...Almost all of the technology which is invented is uses... even though a lot of people object. It almost seams as if anything that is high tech researced just HAS to be used. No matter what the price is.

The price of a human life! I do not agree that TPTB should be allowed to use these technologies for their negative energies.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Straight out of Minority Report. Funny how that movie, or at least its subtle technologies, keep coming true. soon they'll be using them to tailor advertisements towards every individual.

new topics

top topics

join